< 15 Watt Tube Amp - Recom'dations?
timrobwall
Mar 15 2010, 03:26 AM
GMC:er
Money is no object. Looking to buy a 15watt or less tube/valve combo amp/head for straight rock and blues with emphasis on warm lows. What would you pick?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Mar 15 2010, 04:53 AM
Learning Tone Master
Blackstar HT-5, Egnater Tweaker, Orange Tiny Terror, Laney Lionheart or A Vox Ac15

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Mar 15 2010, 04:53 AM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Staffy
Mar 15 2010, 08:35 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Mar 15 2010, 04:53 AM) *
Blackstar HT-5, Egnater Tweaker, Orange Tiny Terror, Laney Lionheart or A Vox Ac15

What? Has my fellow MVC got tired?? He said that money is NOT the issue. laugh.gif (just kidding)
With great pespect to Zakk's suggestions here (which are all more or less stock amps) I want to add some other recommendations. The best would probably be to have an amp builder to build one based on one of the "classic" amps, eg. VOX, Marshall, Fender and with a speaker of Your choice. The other way round is to get a "boutique" -amp, eg. an amp that is manually made, but still is in a production-line. Examples of such is Victoria Amps, Dumble, Ceriatone & others. A third way would be to build one by Yourself from those kits available, but its not that easy as it seems....

I had one built in Denmark by a guy there, and I have never been happier with any amp. Its a Deluxe-clone, the only drawback with this one is that You JUST can play blues & rock on it......... cool.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Damir Puh
Mar 15 2010, 10:23 AM
Instructor
+ 1 for the Dumble. Or maybe the new Bogner Duende.

As far as "regular" amps go - Laney VC15 or Blackstar HT-5.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Mar 15 2010, 11:30 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Staffy @ Mar 15 2010, 08:35 AM) *
What? Has my fellow MVC got tired?? He said that money is NOT the issue. laugh.gif (just kidding)

I was assuming that most people say *money is no issue* but in the end they are looking for something affordable wink.gif

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Dennizzz119
Mar 15 2010, 12:43 PM
Lemme tell you this Try an VOX AC15 with optional speaker

--------------------

Skill level 5/10

Equipment:

- Fender Highway one Upgrade Telecaster
- Ibanez JEM555 Vai Signature
- Noname acoustic :P

- Marshall JCM2000
- Stagg crappy 10w

Savings for a Gibson SG '61 Reissue:
120€ / 1400

If You don't believe in it, You'll never achieve it,

+Quote Post
Bondy
Mar 15 2010, 12:50 PM
Learning Roadie
I would go with the Laney Lionheart, they sound great. smile.gif

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 15 2010, 01:13 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Money no object -

Matchless Lightning 15R
Bad Cat Cub
Victoria 20112

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
timrobwall
Mar 15 2010, 01:53 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Mar 15 2010, 10:30 AM) *
I was assuming that most people say *money is no issue* but in the end they are looking for something affordable wink.gif

Yeah Zakk, you got that one right! Thanks for the suggestions.

QUOTE (Staffy @ Mar 15 2010, 07:35 AM) *
With great pespect to Zakk's suggestions here (which are all more or less stock amps) I want to add some other recommendations. The best would probably be to have an amp builder to build one based on one of the "classic" amps, eg. VOX, Marshall, Fender and with a speaker of Your choice. The other way round is to get a "boutique" -amp, eg. an amp that is manually made, but still is in a production-line. Examples of such is Victoria Amps, Dumble, Ceriatone & others. A third way would be to build one by Yourself from those kits available, but its not that easy as it seems....

I had one built in Denmark by a guy there, and I have never been happier with any amp. Its a Deluxe-clone, the only drawback with this one is that You JUST can play blues & rock on it......... cool.gif

//Staffay

HaHa. Yeah, well this is all part of my plan. First I identify the best, then I bust the local bank, quick buy the amp and catch the next plane to Sweden! Thanks again for the ideas.

+Quote Post
sted
Mar 15 2010, 02:10 PM
Learning Rock Star
Cant believe no-one has mentioned the Fender Blues Jnr! Great for blues straight in to the amp, in fact better than anything twice the cost of the fender by far, and briliant with pedals to get virtually any rock tone!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Mar 20 2010, 07:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Staffy @ Mar 15 2010, 08:35 AM) *

//Staffay

that is very cool! your own personal custom little amp!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
stratman79
Mar 20 2010, 11:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
great call on the ceriatone staffy, I think you can buy them in kit form or have them make one for you.

Matchless = nice. and Dumble well...

do they make Dumbles at less than 15watts? If your willing to look over 50watts and really want a fender look into the bassman...

If you want maybe look into custom hand wired amps... headstrong & swampworks spring to mind but I'm sure there are lots more out there...

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Mar 21 2010, 02:07 AM
Instructor
try the orange tiny terror, just try it...
IT WILL BLOW YOUR BRAIN!

smile.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Staffy
Mar 21 2010, 08:52 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (sted @ Mar 15 2010, 02:10 PM) *
Cant believe no-one has mentioned the Fender Blues Jnr! Great for blues straight in to the amp, in fact better than anything twice the cost of the fender by far, and briliant with pedals to get virtually any rock tone!

Right! I have this one too... but it's not 15 W, rather 50 .....

//Staffay

QUOTE (stratman79 @ Mar 20 2010, 11:35 PM) *
do they make Dumbles at less than 15watts? If your willing to look over 50watts and really want a fender look into the bassman...

I guess they will if You pay them.... tongue.gif There's a lot of custom hand-wired amps on the market, a good bet is to search for them on Youtube, listen and then visit their home-page.

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:50 AM