> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

David Gilmour Style Lesson 2 - Lead, Lesson By David Wallimann
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 2 ] ** [66.67%]
7 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

Tom51
Oct 20 2016, 03:50 PM
Learning Roadie
Original lesson: David Gilmour Style Lesson 2 - Lead by David Wallimann

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 24 2016, 04:36 PM
Instructor
Hi Tom,

I have the pleasure of work with you at my mentoring program and it's really inspiring to see how you progress as a guitarist. The strong points of this take are the fact that your bending is precise most of the time and that your timing is really good. This two elements required a lot of work in order to be polished, so congratulations! smile.gif

Your vibrato is also getting better. Sometimes you could go for wider vibrato, but the good thing is that you always go with the backing groove which is a good first step.

The next things to improve or work here are:

- Reviewing each phrase focusing on bending and vibrato. You could go deeper with both techniques. For vibrato, notice how David uses different widths in order to make his phrasing more expressing. Regarding bending, check out things like for example the bend at 00:14 (in your video), which is played downward in the original video. You are not getting the same feel with this one. Check things like that.

- Articulation: Listen carefully to the original lesson and compare the notes lengths with your take. There are some staccato notes, and other details missing in your take.

- Dynamics: This is the element that needs more work in your take. Notice how David uses different intensities to make his phrasing more expressive.

- Tuning: Your guitar doesn't sound perfectly tuned in the higher strings, I think that the second string is the problem.

- Tone: I would continue experimenting with your tone, to make it sound warmer, and to make the dirty drive sound tastier. I cannot give you specific settings to put, but experiment with EQ, and drive (or type of drive used).

Ok mate, that's all by now. Keep on the great job!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 25 2016, 08:47 AM
Instructor
Hi Tom this is good stuff here.

Your timing is one of your strongest assets and I see that it is serving you will lead lessons as well as with rhythm.

One point that Gabriel made that I'd also like to re-emphasise is being able to put different dynamic feel on a phrase. For example, some of David's lines are more staccato, with the notes being clipped off. You can use the underside / palm area of your picking hand to mute the sound, giving you more of a staccato sound. You can also experiment with different note velocity by picking harder at certain moments.

Bending is a technique that takes a lot of development but I see it's progressing well. Just keep going as you are!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 28 2016, 11:55 AM
Instructor
Hey Tom!

Your take is very pleasant to listen. Overall good timing and nice pitch of bends. Your sense of intonation through all the take is descent - that's important.

Now what took my attention is that your playing is a little too shy at the moment. You tend to play very soft. You do not expose contrasted dynamics as much as they should be. Don't be afraid to hit a string really hard sometimes smile.gif It sounds like you are trying to be very carefull to not "hurt" the guitar while playing. Also...as Gab noticed - your vibrato could be a little wider at some spots.

My personal advice would be to use slightly brighter tone for this kind of lessons. Lack of treble makes some of dynamics loose the impact they should have.

Things above are things to be fixed but at the same time I would like to say your progress is very good and constant. You bring a lot of attention to play in time and in tune. Even with some details lacking, your performance still has a lot of professional features. Keep up the good work!

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 31 2016, 04:10 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 6.3

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:32 AM