Playing A Solo Gig On Electric Guitar
norules
Oct 4 2012, 08:39 PM
GMC:er
hello!

i've been asked to play a solo gig on saturday at short notice. i'm without a band and i'm planning on putting a beat on using my kaossilator and perhaps a root note bass synth for each song. i play dub reggae mixed with punk and im not sure if i kidding myself that this could sound good. its very bass and drum orientated music usually. does anyone have any thoughts or advice for this?

the kaossilator only has 8 beats in it so im worried the crowd will think its too repetetive although the gyuitar will play verses chorus solos etc.... also it takes me about a minute to set up the beat and synth for each song so i'll be a bit stop start stop start.

any advice thoughts please?

cheers.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
norules
Oct 5 2012, 10:51 AM
Anyone? Please :-)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 5 2012, 10:53 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Is there a way you could produce backing tracks at home and play them back on the gig and jam over?

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
norules
Oct 5 2012, 11:27 AM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Oct 5 2012, 10:53 AM) *
Is there a way you could produce backing tracks at home and play them back on the gig and jam over?

I thought that mate and I started doing it but it took me 2 hours to do a bass line as I'm new to producing. Do you think I should go for it with the kaossilator or am I just gonna look like a tosser? Cheers

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 5 2012, 11:35 AM
Instructor
I wish I could help but I know nothing of this Kaoss thing sad.gif

+Quote Post
Bossie
Oct 5 2012, 01:07 PM
QUOTE (norules @ Oct 4 2012, 07:39 PM) *
hello!

i've been asked to play a solo gig on saturday at short notice. i'm without a band and i'm planning on putting a beat on using my kaossilator and perhaps a root note bass synth for each song. i play dub reggae mixed with punk and im not sure if i kidding myself that this could sound good. its very bass and drum orientated music usually. does anyone have any thoughts or advice for this?

the kaossilator only has 8 beats in it so im worried the crowd will think its too repetetive although the gyuitar will play verses chorus solos etc.... also it takes me about a minute to set up the beat and synth for each song so i'll be a bit stop start stop start.

any advice thoughts please?

cheers.

I would go for it, it's too late anyways for alternative's ...make the best of it!
I don't know anything about this kaosthing but hopefully you have some help setting them up for each song?

This post has been edited by Bossie: Oct 5 2012, 01:12 PM

+Quote Post
norules
Oct 5 2012, 01:24 PM
QUOTE (Bossie @ Oct 5 2012, 01:07 PM) *
I would go for it, it's too late anyways for alternative's ...make the best of it!
I don't know anything about this kaosthing but hopefully you have some help setting them up for each song?

Nah no help just me. I thinking I might just put a rock beat on and change the tempo and not bother with all the different beats and bass synths. That way I can be onto the next song pretty quick. Get a big line up me nostrils for confidence and just go for it innit. I really need to get a band together but I'm struggling and not through lack of effort. Anyone know any good Bristol drummers? I got a banging bassist who's up for it if I can find a competent drummer :-)

+Quote Post
Bossie
Oct 5 2012, 01:38 PM
QUOTE (norules @ Oct 5 2012, 12:24 PM) *
Nah no help just me. I thinking I might just put a rock beat on and change the tempo and not bother with all the different beats and bass synths. That way I can be onto the next song pretty quick. Get a big line up me nostrils for confidence and just go for it innit. I really need to get a band together but I'm struggling and not through lack of effort. Anyone know any good Bristol drummers? I got a banging bassist who's up for it if I can find a competent drummer :-)

Yep that'll do the trick..let us know how it went.Could work out surprisingly well!

Finding a competent drummer ??That 'll be a lot trickier.. laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 7 2012, 04:21 PM
Instructor
Mate, it would be the easiest thing if you'd find a vocalist and play the songs with her/ him smile.gif

+Quote Post
squonk
Oct 8 2012, 09:20 PM
I had to do this in July. Not having the band behind me scared the Shizzle out of me. But rather than try and make backing tracks on short notice I just started searching the Web for finished ones. There are more decent freebies out there than you realize. I even took some from this site and if they were too short brought them into Reaper and created longer versions by splicing them together. I saved the tracks as MP3s and placed them in order in a playlist on my iPOD . I fed that into the PA. I pushed play and just jammed over the tracks. It was a bit strange at first and it almost felt like people were watching me practice (because when you think about it they were!) But let me tell you. I could get used to not having to hassle with the rest of the band or splitting the money with them! It's not so bad once you get through it. It must have worked OK because I was asked to come back and do it again next year.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Oct 11 2012, 05:29 PM
Learning Roadie

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Oct 11 2012, 05:30 PM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 12 2012, 11:37 AM
Instructor
Flawless - groove, articulation, timing, tone! PERIOD!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:29 AM