Inovative Method Of Making Single Tone From Humbucker :), not just a coil split :)
Darius Wave
Nov 14 2013, 02:05 AM
Instructor
Having a day of experiments with the dummy coil I've just found this smile.gif I wish there was a switch to quick "split" the coils tongue.gif Anybody seen this before ?smile.gif Looks like the concept of dummy coild has been kept but the "installation" was brought to most simply, possible way biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pdf64
Nov 14 2013, 11:15 PM
GMC:er
That is clever, it certainly sounds great on the video.
I am a little hesitant to try it though, as I'm concerned that the pickup may become more prone to being microphonic after the screws had been in and out a few times.
Even if that became the case though, there may be ways to restore it, eg heat the screws if wax potted, or dab a little varnish in the holes if varnish potted.
Thanks for passing it on - Pete

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 14 2013, 11:39 PM
QUOTE (pdf64 @ Nov 14 2013, 10:15 PM) *
That is clever, it certainly sounds great on the video.
I am a little hesitant to try it though, as I'm concerned that the pickup may become more prone to being microphonic after the screws had been in and out a few times.
Even if that became the case though, there may be ways to restore it, eg heat the screws if wax potted, or dab a little varnish in the holes if varnish potted.
Thanks for passing it on - Pete

+1 also dimarzio has pickup thats close to that idea which isn't very popular (though users seem to love it);

http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/humbuckers/bluesbucker

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 15 2013, 12:10 AM
Instructor
To be honest I was struggling with same thoughts...While replacing the srew and screwing them back...there will be a loss of wax keeping all those tight and this could affect feedback resistance...a bit risky thing

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 15 2013, 01:44 AM
If opening the pickup is ok, one could half air the pickup in detail. Like using something very thin between the coil and magnet to strengthen that coil. Since the magnet will be away from the other coil it will be heard less, something plastic can be placed to the gap to prevent magnetism. Won't be the same but should work nice depending on the pickups capability.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Nov 15 2013, 01:45 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 16 2013, 05:41 PM
Instructor
I currently try to make coil split and dummy coil add by one move of the switch. Unfortunately doesn't work llike it should yet. I asume it has to be reversed dummy coil or something. Have to wait for different coil to test. The one i own seems to be like all web suggestion - ceramic type (magnet removed) around 6 k resistance. Tried a few different wirring options...none of them gave me the result I expected

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 16 2013, 06:26 PM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Nov 16 2013, 04:41 PM) *
I currently try to make coil split and dummy coil add by one move of the switch. Unfortunately doesn't work llike it should yet. I asume it has to be reversed dummy coil or something. Have to wait for different coil to test. The one i own seems to be like all web suggestion - ceramic type (magnet removed) around 6 k resistance. Tried a few different wirring options...none of them gave me the result I expected

I'm not very experienced at wiring but; So basicly phase must be flipped, yeah I think the wire of the pickup must be reverse wound. But on a modern strat isn't the middle coil always reverse wound? did you try listening with that coil too?

Edit; Are you sure no magnet is used? if no load then it doesn't send signal to null the noise?

This post has been edited by Mertay: Nov 16 2013, 07:16 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 17 2013, 01:43 PM
Instructor
I tried yesterady. No magnet for sure. And...nope it doesn't have to be reversed wounded. They say You have to make some experiments with different coil dc resistance and I found that a single coil unmounted from humbucker works best with humbucker coil split. It didn't gave exactly the same amount of reduction as regular humbucker mode but indeed the difference is huge and the treble loss is smaller than with fully noiseless stacked single coil pickup. The direction of dummy coil soldering is indeed important.

Here is a pic from very first test...it's a regular single coil but it was around 6k and took to much treble from the splitted humbucker

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Darius Wave: Nov 17 2013, 02:00 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 17 2013, 02:45 PM
Awesome!!! biggrin.gif This is very important info as though at the time I searched the web, couldn't find much. If you have any drawings you could share it will be very useful in time for everybody smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 18 2013, 01:23 PM
Instructor
I'll try to dig some but it's pretty simple. Usually You make coil split but soldering the two wirres already connected (humbcuker colis connection) and solder to the DPDT switch on center tip for example and take the ground from what ever You like, and solder to bottom or top pin (the switching direction depends of this...nothing more). Now the only mod is to place the dummy coil with removed magnet (ceramic, don't use pickups with magnetic pole pieces) instead of mentioned ground wire connection to the switch. This way dummy coil willbe out of the circuit while humbucker mode on.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:26 PM