1970's-2000's, Judas Priest
RIP Dime
May 10 2007, 03:53 AM
GMC:er
Ok, not many bands have lasted over 30 years, and I've seen very few guitarists from the late 60's and early 70's evolve with the times.
Judas Priest is one of those bands, and KK Downing and Glenn Tipton are a couple of those guitarists. Glenn and KK started off in the late 60's and early 70's as blues influenced guitarists. They were one of the pioneers of the twin lead guitar, and have a heavy influence on today's metal.
And since then they have evolved with the times, and are one of the few guitarists from that time period that have gotten better with time.
Now
Now take it easy on them, I know they aren't the cleanest players, but hell, they were around before Yngwie and EVH! And to see them using modern shredding technique to great affect is awesome. And that's what's important, using guitar techniques to great musical effect, not doing everything with picture perfect technique-wise.

Here is something you can take from this: Shredding is awesome and fun, but ultimately you want to use the techniques you learn here to make great music! I see tons of awesome shredders with incredible technique on YouTube, but i never really hear about them outside of internet guitar circles. It's the ones with the great songs that affect more people. You want to reach as many people as you can with your music right? Then practice songwriting mutha!!!! biggrin.gif My 2 cents.

Cheers

EDIT for typos.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by RIP Dime: May 10 2007, 03:55 AM

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
May 10 2007, 05:18 AM
QUOTE (RIP Dime @ May 10 2007, 02:53 AM) *
And since then they have evolved with the times, and are one of the few guitarists from that time period that have gotten better with time.
Now

Excuse my ignorance but....

What's up with Rob in that clip?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 10 2007, 12:23 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Judas Priest is a fantastic band, with nary an album you call bad, and more than a few you can call flawless. Painkiller is perhaps one of the most metal songs you can ever hear, Glenn and KK Pionnered the dual guitar lead attack and are still leading the charge in true Metal Gods fashion. Rob Halford is probabaly the most versatile singer you will EVER Hear, the guy can hit the highest notes to the lowest growls.

Hail Priest
Hail Metal

+Quote Post
Rockwouldbe
May 10 2007, 03:22 PM
Rock Instructor
for me

Judas and Black sabath are the pink floyd and led zapplin of the metal

Love them

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez Rg2570, Pod XTL, peavey classic 30w
Guitar it is a passion

a link to the Aspiring instructor

+Quote Post
ch00ch00man
May 11 2007, 09:30 PM
RIP Dime, I couldn't agree with you more. PLAYING FAST IS NOT MUSIC!!! Read that again, and again, and again... if you must. Its not about speed. Great, long lasting songs, have a melody, a rhythm, a hooky riff, and a lot of other things that have nothing to do with speed. Don't get me wrong, I'm a technique junkie. I live and breath clean, and flawless technique. But that being said, there are many out there (once upon a time, myself included) that can't separate the two.

Boris

btw, in case your wondering, love Priest, Ozzy, Sabbath, Floyd... the list goes on and on.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 12 2007, 05:12 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Well said, if your gonna play fast as hell, you got to make it catchy, melodic, and memorable, and not just random fast scales.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:19 PM