Need Advice On Second Guitar + Amp, Upgrading from my beginner set, need some help
Fsgdjv
May 21 2007, 06:01 PM
GMC:er
Hello, I've decided that I want to upgrade from my horribly bad beginner set, so I'm getting a new amp and guitar. I can pay 13 000 swedish kronor (about 1 300 euros) at most for everything, but I don't know what to get.

I play mostly metal, and I'm not that much into shredding, but I try to play a lot of different genres, etc.

As for the guitar, I've been thinking about both the Ibanez SZ 520 and the PRS SE Custom. After having played them both I've come to the conclusion that the PRS SE Custom fits me perfectly (fell in love with it the first time I ever held it), but is there any similar guitar that's even better? Or is there something completely different that you would recommend?

And, when it comes to the amp, I have actually got no idea at all. I want to be able to rehease with it, and it would be great if there is a possibility for gigs, but since I will porboblt spend so much money on the guitar I don't think I can spend more than 5000 SEK (or 500 euros) on it, but wouldn't that be enough? Anyways, I've been thinking about the Roland Cube 60 watt, or maybe a line 6 spider 3 75 watt, but I've heard that the line 6 are crap, so I don't know.

So what are your recommendations? As you can see, I'm in desperate need of help, and any advice is worth gold to me. biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Igorrr
May 21 2007, 08:22 PM
Hi,

actually today you can get some decent amps for 500 euros. Actually that's almost exactly the price of a Line6 Spider 115-212 (2x 12" speakers 2x60 watts) which is already good enough for gigging.
But instead of an amp you could go modelling board and active monitor speaker. At a lower price range the modelling amps are the best way to go.

Concerning the guitar if you already like the PRS SE than I'd say go with it. But then I do not know that many different guitars to really help you out there.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
MickeM
May 21 2007, 10:31 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
So... for amps. Hughes & Kettner Tube Edition 20th anniversary. I'm getting one for myself, 20W. This beauty will last me a lifetime, for sure. For your metal tunes, run the clean channel with a distortion pedal.

OR

Get this set up from Germany, I order my stuff from here (also to Sweden) and there's thousands of SEK to save.
Laney LC 15R
for bedroom rehearsing...

when rehearsing with your band or doing a small gig - plug into THIS!!!

I saw there was one in on reroute for 50E lower price. I've tried a few different speakers and the Vintage 30's is it. Those babies deliver!

Later on, if you (happy with your Laney) want to upgrade to a 50W amp you can keep the LC15R and put a GH50L on top of that cabinet.

What's difficult is to recommend something as difficult to grasp as another persons sound preferences. But I know any of these setups would make me VERY happy today and for a long time in the future, and I've been playing since the 90's and covered amps I've NOT been happy with but had to keep since I couldn't afford a new one. Spending money on something that won't make you happy is not just a waste of money but also time.. before you can have a new one.

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
May 21 2007, 11:01 PM
Igorrr: Thank you for your advices, and do you have anything to recommend in the modelling board and active monitor speaker department? smile.gif

MickeM: Thanks for those great advices, that Laney amp is really interesting to me, but do you know how long it usually takes for the delivery from Germany? And hmm, do you know where I can get a taste of the sound or that, maybe from some video on youtube or anything? (I'll try to find something myself, but if sometimes it's hard to find that kind of things.) I'll also check out the Huges & Kettner one. And yeah, I know it's hard for someone else to know what kind of sound I want, but I suppose it's better to get other peoples opinions than just buying something wich I think sound ok and then realise that it sounds shit or something after a week. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Fsgdjv: May 21 2007, 11:03 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
May 22 2007, 08:08 AM
There are soundclips over at www.laney.co.uk

and at www.hughesandkettner.com aswell

The times I've ordered from Germany it took about 1,5 weeks to get the stuff. If you order that cabinet aswell they will deliver to your door, at least that's what they did for me. Smaller packages I had to pick up at the postal office though.
The transport cost is 15 Euro no mater how much or little you order.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
May 22 2007, 11:17 AM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ May 21 2007, 06:01 PM) *
Hello, I've decided that I want to upgrade from my horribly bad beginner set, so I'm getting a new amp and guitar. I can pay 13 000 swedish kronor (about 1 300 euros) at most for everything, but I don't know what to get.

I play mostly metal, and I'm not that much into shredding, but I try to play a lot of different genres, etc.

As for the guitar, I've been thinking about both the Ibanez SZ 520 and the PRS SE Custom. After having played them both I've come to the conclusion that the PRS SE Custom fits me perfectly (fell in love with it the first time I ever held it), but is there any similar guitar that's even better? Or is there something completely different that you would recommend?

And, when it comes to the amp, I have actually got no idea at all. I want to be able to rehease with it, and it would be great if there is a possibility for gigs, but since I will porboblt spend so much money on the guitar I don't think I can spend more than 5000 SEK (or 500 euros) on it, but wouldn't that be enough? Anyways, I've been thinking about the Roland Cube 60 watt, or maybe a line 6 spider 3 75 watt, but I've heard that the line 6 are crap, so I don't know.

So what are your recommendations? As you can see, I'm in desperate need of help, and any advice is worth gold to me. biggrin.gif

Ive got a Roland Cube 60 Watt and i cannot fault it! cool.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
moles
May 24 2007, 05:13 PM
the roland micro cube thing may sound good on its own.

but when you get a valve marshal or even a spider next to it. it gets completey outclassed and outsounded.

if you are going to buy a marshal make sure its a valve amp (avt) not an mg tongue.gif
if you want something more flexible for like homepractice i say get a line 6 spider

good amps, good amps tongue.gif

as for guitars. if you play metal and such check out ESP (LTD). ->Click<-

=]

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
May 25 2007, 08:20 PM
I've been looking into some other amps now, and one that I've heard lots of good things about is the Vox AD50VT, what can you say about that? And I've heard that it has crappy distortion, so do you know any good distortion pedals? Preferably something that sounds like the Boss HM-2 or something, I know even less about pedals than amps, so blink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MayleneFan
May 26 2007, 03:19 AM
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ May 25 2007, 02:20 PM) *
I've been looking into some other amps now, and one that I've heard lots of good things about is the Vox AD50VT, what can you say about that? And I've heard that it has crappy distortion, so do you know any good distortion pedals? Preferably something that sounds like the Boss HM-2 or something, I know even less about pedals than amps, so blink.gif

I have a Vox AD30, and with the 2 button footswitch it's great. Good fender cleans, vox overdrives, and marshall distortions. The effects are a nice touch, and I use the chorus/reverb alot to boost my sound a little. Naturally its a MODELing amp, so it doesn't sound exact like a tube amp or something, but it still sounds gorgious. The AD50 would be pletty loud enough for small gigs, and you could always mic it for bigger rooms.

+Quote Post
Rock
May 26 2007, 06:26 AM
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ May 21 2007, 11:01 PM) *
Igorrr: Thank you for your advices, and do you have anything to recommend in the modelling board and active monitor speaker department? smile.gif

MickeM: Thanks for those great advices, that Laney amp is really interesting to me, but do you know how long it usually takes for the delivery from Germany? And hmm, do you know where I can get a taste of the sound or that, maybe from some video on youtube or anything? (I'll try to find something myself, but if sometimes it's hard to find that kind of things.) I'll also check out the Huges & Kettner one. And yeah, I know it's hard for someone else to know what kind of sound I want, but I suppose it's better to get other peoples opinions than just buying something wich I think sound ok and then realise that it sounds shit or something after a week. tongue.gif

Tony Iommi uses Laney. Saw him last week. He had 6 full stacks. Sounded good to me ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
May 26 2007, 10:14 AM
QUOTE (MayleneFan @ May 26 2007, 04:19 AM) *
Naturally its a MODELing amp, so it doesn't sound exact like a tube amp or something

I thought it had a ECC83 preamp tube? Like valvestate, valvetronix.
I never heard it or played but I guess it's a good amp.

I think Vox are made in China now, don't know if it's the entire product line or if the move there has affected the quality or if it really matters...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:24 PM