Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Jan 31 2008, 10:24 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (lavendell @ Jan 31 2008, 06:32 PM) *
I think I was around 19
Maybe that isn't "very young", but it's a loooong time ago for me biggrin.gif

Ha when you said young I thought you meant my age! ohmy.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
steve25
Feb 4 2008, 12:58 AM
GMC:er
I deff prefer the lesson solo to the song version. Also the solo to soul to the world was better in the lesson than the song, it seems to be more clear and louder etc. But i'd love to be able to do solos like that how do you think up stuff like that?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Feb 5 2008, 07:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (steve25 @ Feb 4 2008, 12:58 AM) *
But i'd love to be able to do solos like that how do you think up stuff like that?

It's different from time to time but often I just improvise, and when I hear something I like a lot I stop and work on that. smile.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
steve25
Feb 7 2008, 01:02 AM
QUOTE (lavendell @ Feb 5 2008, 08:05 PM) *
It's different from time to time but often I just improvise, and when I hear something I like a lot I stop and work on that. smile.gif

Your way of thinking seems to make sense to me and would appeal to my way of wanting to do things. However i can't do it yet, it's quite frustrating. Maybe one day

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Feb 7 2008, 08:54 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (steve25 @ Feb 7 2008, 01:02 AM) *
Your way of thinking seems to make sense to me and would appeal to my way of wanting to do things. However i can't do it yet, it's quite frustrating. Maybe one day

Great! I'll be happy to help you in any way I can! smile.gif

Of course you'll be able to write cool solos one day. It just takes practice! smile.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
steve25
Feb 7 2008, 06:05 PM
That'd be cool if you can smile.gif. So you sort of construct a solo you can't just improvise and come up with stuff straight away. What do you do when someone tells you to just improvise over something?

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Feb 7 2008, 07:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (steve25 @ Feb 7 2008, 06:05 PM) *
What do you do when someone tells you to just improvise over something?

Well, then I would propably play some notes that I won't be too proud of laugh.gif

No, but seriously. I would ask for a minute or so to think through the chords, and also some basic phrasings and licks that I could work around while improvising. In other words; I would try to be as prepared as I possibly can. smile.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
steve25
Feb 7 2008, 07:40 PM
Haha that's like my notes all the time tongue.gif. Do you remember trying to learn to improvise and practicing stuff to get better at it?

By the way a sort of off topic question, in the evening blues lessons what tweaks did you do to your patch to get that sound?

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Feb 8 2008, 08:42 AM
Instructor
Yeah, I used to practice these things a lot! smile.gif

About the Evening Blues tone. The key is to work with the volume knob.
I can upload the PODxt patch later today if you want (I'm not in my studio right now)

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
steve25
Feb 11 2008, 12:48 AM
Ah yeah cool, the patch would be good to have as well. Also i have a question about your vibrato? Instead of making a new topic i thought i'd post it here. Ok so lets say you wanted to do a vibrato between 12th and 13th fret on B string, of course when you do that you are alternating between those 2 notes, like a trill of 12(13) right? What about you wanted to do a vibrato say from 15th and 17th fret on b string would you always have to alternate between 15 and 17 so you always come back down on the vibrato or can you alternate between 16 and 17 or would that go out of tune?

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Feb 11 2008, 08:43 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (steve25 @ Feb 11 2008, 12:48 AM) *
What about you wanted to do a vibrato say from 15th and 17th fret on b string would you always have to alternate between 15 and 17 so you always come back down on the vibrato or can you alternate between 16 and 17 or would that go out of tune?

That's right! If I want to do a vibrato on the 15th to the 17th fret on the B-string (that's the notes D and E), that would mean that I'm in a scale that use those two notes. For example; D-minor. And then it would not sound good if I did the vibrato on the 16th to the 17th fret! And the reason is that the D# (16th fret) isn't in the D-minor scale.

If you want to do a "deep" vibrato like this, you must always know what key you're in and what note (notes) you're playing. smile.gif

PS. I'll upload the PODxt patch here tonight! smile.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
steve25
Feb 11 2008, 04:16 PM
Seems to make sense, it just looks like when i watch you do wide vibratos that you're not coming all the way down so i thought maybe you were applying vibrato from 15th up to 17 and alternating from 16 and 17. Unless you do a bend from 15 up to 17 and add a shallow vibrato?

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Feb 11 2008, 04:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (steve25 @ Feb 11 2008, 04:16 PM) *
Unless you do a bend from 15 up to 17 and add a shallow vibrato?

Yeah, I think that's what you've seen me do! smile.gif
I wouldn't normally apply vibrato on the 15th fret up to 17th and alternate from 16th to 17th...

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
Jeff
Feb 11 2008, 09:17 PM
QUOTE (lavendell @ Feb 11 2008, 02:43 AM) *
That's right! If I want to do a vibrato on the 15th to the 17th fret on the B-string (that's the notes D and E), that would mean that I'm in a scale that use those two notes. For example; D-minor. And then it would not sound good if I did the vibrato on the 16th to the 17th fret! And the reason is that the D# (16th fret) isn't in the D-minor scale.

If you want to do a "deep" vibrato like this, you must always know what key you're in and what note (notes) you're playing. smile.gif

PS. I'll upload the PODxt patch here tonight! smile.gif

Wait a minute... you have different patch for evening blues than your standard one! And I've been messing with it all this time mad.gif ! laugh.gif Just kidding. I would love to have that patch too. I'm so close to being finished with it and I want to record it. (I did put it first on my progress list unsure.gif ) The patch would be cool! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Feb 15 2008, 06:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jeff @ Feb 11 2008, 09:17 PM) *
Wait a minute... you have different patch for evening blues than your standard one! And I've been messing with it all this time mad.gif ! laugh.gif Just kidding. I would love to have that patch too. I'm so close to being finished with it and I want to record it. (I did put it first on my progress list unsure.gif ) The patch would be cool! biggrin.gif

Sorry for the delay!
Here's the PODxt preset for "Evening Blues" (don't know if it's exactly the same as I use in the lesson, but it's very similar).

Attached File  Evening_Blues.l6t ( 1.8K ) Number of downloads: 152

Hope it works ok! smile.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
Jeff
Feb 16 2008, 12:55 AM
QUOTE (lavendell @ Feb 15 2008, 12:26 PM) *
Sorry for the delay!
Here's the PODxt preset for "Evening Blues" (don't know if it's exactly the same as I use in the lesson, but it's very similar).

Attached File  Evening_Blues.l6t ( 1.8K ) Number of downloads: 152

Hope it works ok! smile.gif

Worked perfectly! Awesome Marcus. Thank you, once again. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Feb 16 2008, 10:19 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (jeff @ Feb 16 2008, 12:55 AM) *
Worked perfectly! Awesome Marcus. Thank you, once again. smile.gif

No problem! smile.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
steve25
Feb 22 2008, 12:53 AM
Hey sorry i forgot all about this post. Thanks for the patch marcus sounds pretty good smile.gif. One more question though if i can, in your vibrato 1 lesson on video 2 the vibrato you use which is very aggressive sounding you say goes between the 15th and 17th fret, yet it looks like you don't come all the way down how can this be? Also i remember you syaing you don't recommend practicing vibrato with a metronome so how would i go about getting a quicker vibrato?

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Feb 22 2008, 09:01 AM
Instructor
Hi Steve!

I've looked at the vibrato lesson again, and I see now that I don't explain it very well. Thanks for notifying!
My intention is to alternate the pitch between E and D, but since the vibrato is so fast I simply don't have time to come back fully to the D pitch. So it looks kind of as if I stay on E, or something like E to D#. - But in my mind I actually think E to D.

I personally don't think it's a good idea to practice vibrato with a metronome, because there's a risk you'll end up with a static sounding vibrato. However, some people prefer that so this is only my personal preference smile.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
steve25
Feb 22 2008, 11:24 AM
I see that makes sense, so you're either alternating between E and F or E and D#? Wouldn't that put the vibrato out of tune with the rest of the music? Also i practice with and without metronome on vibrato but i wonder if you have any tips for getting a quicker vibrato or is this up to finger strength?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:07 PM