2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Old Games Vs New
Ben Higgins
Aug 8 2012, 02:06 PM
Instructor
I just bought a second hand copy of the original Medal of Honour, that came out for the PS1. I absolutely loved that game. Although First Person Shooter war games have improved in graphics, playability and realism, I also think they've lost something.

I think I preferred being a solitary person alone behind enemy lines taking on the Wehrmacht, instead of part of a squad running around, shouting with lots of constant explosions. There was just more atmosphere in the old games because felt totally alone.

Check it out from 4:13

What do you guys think ? What elements do you prefer from older games ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Aug 8 2012, 02:18 PM
GMC:er
i find old games way more difficult, i like the challenge and the gratification after beating it.
when it comes to graphics i really don't mind the vintage graphs or the mega realistic ones.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 8 2012, 02:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Aug 8 2012, 02:18 PM) *
i find old games way more difficult, i like the challenge and the gratification after beating it.

Yeah I do think that a lot of modern games are made easier to cope with shorter attention spans.

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Aug 8 2012, 02:52 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I think I just like the fact that older games were more adventurous. People are too afraid to take a chance with the games they are developing now. Everything is the same regurgitated BS that its predecessor was -- and it is getting old.

That is why I cannot wait for 'The Last of Us' and 'Bioshock 3'. They both look amazing and they have what looks like fresh plot lines and concepts for the world of videogames.

The Last of Us:

Bioshock 3:

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
snackajacks
Aug 8 2012, 03:23 PM
Zelda Ocarina of time is just Classic so is medal of honor : rising sun ( skirmish is soo awesome ) I think portal 2 is one of the most awesome newer
(well few years old ) that I really enjoyed playing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 8 2012, 03:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nihilist1 @ Aug 8 2012, 02:52 PM) *
I think I just like the fact that older games were more adventurous. People are too afraid to take a chance with the games they are developing now. Everything is the same regurgitated BS that its predecessor was -- and it is getting old.

That is why I cannot wait for 'The Last of Us' and 'Bioshock 3'. They both look amazing and they have what looks like fresh plot lines and concepts for the world of videogames.

The Last of Us:

The Last of Us looks brilliant ! cool.gif

QUOTE (snackajacks @ Aug 8 2012, 03:23 PM) *
is medal of honor : rising sun ( skirmish is soo awesome )

I remember walking into a shop and buying that when it came out ! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 8 2012, 03:58 PM
Instructor
I'm an old school gamer, since I haven't played new games too much so I feel much more comfortable with the old ones. I remember loving games like Doom.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 8 2012, 04:09 PM
Can't wait for BIOSHOCK 3! The original creative team is coming back for it. Good thing to as BIOSHOCK 2 was AWFUL!!! (IMHO). It was a bit of regurtitated BS that Ben was on about.

Todd

QUOTE (Nihilist1 @ Aug 8 2012, 09:52 AM) *

The Last of Us:

Bioshock 3:

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Aug 8 2012, 04:13 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 8 2012, 03:09 PM) *
Can't wait for BIOSHOCK 3! The original creative team is coming back for it. Good thing to as BIOSHOCK 2 was AWFUL!!! (IMHO). It was a bit of regurtitated BS that Ben was on about.

Todd

I wasn't a big fan of 2, either.

Man, oh man, though, that battle in the Bioshock 3 demo looks beautiful. Who would have come up with a rail system to get around a city like that?!?! Not to mention the way the fights take place? And tearing into different dimensions/periods of time? I haven't even played it yet and I am excited. Those two games I mentioned are honestly the first games since Halo 3(The demo looked great, but I didn't think the game was that awesome) that have excited me. It just makes me wonder how I am going to find time for guitar after they come out, hahaha.

--------------------

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Aug 8 2012, 04:39 PM
PLAYABILITY , ATMOPSPHERE,MUSIC AND every single element that enthroned The Old Gamez!!!

Same for OLD School Of Heavy Metal!!!

The BLOODIEST GAME from 90's

This post has been edited by Slavenko Erazer: Aug 8 2012, 05:23 PM

+Quote Post
snackajacks
Aug 8 2012, 04:45 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 8 2012, 02:27 PM) *
I remember walking into a shop and buying that when it came out ! biggrin.gif

I bought it for the regular xbox when I think it was ea best buy, I remember I paid 4 euro's for that
game. I must have played it over 500 hours skirmish with my brother, who a couple of years later decided to
step on it with his foot.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 8 2012, 10:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 8 2012, 03:58 PM) *
I'm an old school gamer, since I haven't played new games too much so I feel much more comfortable with the old ones. I remember loving games like Doom.

This was the first game I ever personally played on a Playstation ! What was the year, 1997 ?? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Aug 8 2012, 10:27 PM
;93 man on Pc.
Quake was out on '97 and i was after DOOM series!!!

+Quote Post
spacebran
Aug 8 2012, 11:46 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Aug 8 2012, 03:27 PM) *
;93 man on Pc.
Quake was out on '97 and i was after DOOM series!!!

My favorite genre is RPG, but I also love FPS and RTS (first person shooter and real time strategy).

I don't really like many new RPG games - I love the classics such as Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Final Fantasy, etc. New RPG games are far too linear and restricting in terms of exploration (i.e. you have a map in the corner of the screen which totally takes away from exploring the game). Many of them have too many extra side-quests that are repetitive. Final Fantasy XII was like this.

I enjoy the Elder Scrolls series. Bethesda nailed it with Morrowind. Oblivion and Skyrim were great, but there was something lacking when compared to Morrowind. I didn't play Arena or Daggerfall so I can't comment on those. Fallout was good too. I like these games because they are open-world, but aren't over complicated and rammed full of extra side-quests that are just about grinding.

I enjoy some of the new FPS games, but some are just terrible. Rage, for instance - worst ending ever. It was programmed by the creators of Doom, yet it was buggy as @#$%.

Diablo 1 and 2 were amazing. Diablo 3 is terrible. I enjoyed it at first - I played through it up to Inferno mode with a hardcore wizard and barbarian. Then I realized it has no end-game, the item system sucks, Jay Wilson is a terrible lead, etc, etc and I stopped playing. I was addicted to Diablo 2 and I don't even care about 3.

I could go on, haha. Anyways, old school RPGs are probably my favorite games, but some new games are wicked.

Ben, have you played Crysis?

Another thing that I've been noticing... there are SO many games now. It's hard to keep up.

+Quote Post
derper
Aug 9 2012, 12:45 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 8 2012, 07:58 AM) *

I can't say enough about how AWESOME it was to play Doom (PC, about 1995 or so) in the dark after the parents went to bed with all of the lights out....creepy! Also, I'll never forget beating DoomII for the first time!! The level starts in a room with bodies "splattered" on the walls, and the end/satan boss was a HEAD ON A STAKE?!!

QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Aug 8 2012, 08:39 AM) *
The BLOODIEST GAME from 90's

Here is my pick for bloodiest of the 90's!! Still a favorite!

Also, being that I play in a NINTENDO music band, I don't really have to answer the main question of this thread.... OLD GAMES RULE!!

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 9 2012, 01:12 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Story
Depth
Emotional Investment
Serious concepts and ideas
Amazing dialogue

A lot of new games have these, and smash the way old games did it. But mostly no, newer games are very timid.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 9 2012, 09:39 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (spacebran @ Aug 8 2012, 11:46 PM) *
Ben, have you played Crysis?

No I don't know it.. I'll look it up smile.gif

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Aug 9 2012, 12:37 PM
QUOTE (spacebran @ Aug 8 2012, 11:46 PM) *
My favorite genre is RPG, but I also love FPS and RTS (first person shooter and real time strategy).

I enjoy the Elder Scrolls series. Bethesda nailed it with Morrowind. Oblivion and Skyrim were great, but there was something lacking when compared to Morrowind. I didn't play Arena or Daggerfall so I can't comment on those. Fallout was good too. I like these games because they are open-world, but aren't over complicated and rammed full of extra side-quests that are just about grinding.

Morrowind is amazing, i've beat it a crap a lot of times laugh.gif i personally prefer it over Oblivion by miles, i have played Daggerfall before, the game is huge, you have more than like 100,000 towns, tons and tons of npcs. The monsters are just creepy with vintage creepy 8bit sounds laugh.gif just too damn scary. in terms of graphs, it's a bit similar to games like DOOM I and so on.

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Aug 9 2012, 02:58 PM
I tend to play older games anymore. New games typically fall short of anything minus one here and there. I'm about sick of the Call Of Duty / Battlefield franchises just seems like they re-mix the game and call it a new number.

I am with most tho, Bioshock 3 and Borderlands 2 is on my list. Also I can't remember the name for the life of me but it looks like Heavy Rain.

But outside of that I am thinking of starting up Final Fantasy IV or Dragon Quest II.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 9 2012, 03:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Aug 9 2012, 02:58 PM) *
Also I can't remember the name for the life of me but it looks like Heavy Rain.

Heavy Rain is a cool game.. not that I've played it, just watched it wink.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:32 AM