Extra Tremolo Springs
Neurologi
Sep 23 2009, 07:40 PM
GMC:er
Hi guys!

I decided to experiment with both gauge and brands for my next restring. After reading through what I could find out in the forums here, my wish is to install Elixir Nanoweb 11-49's. Thus far, I have been pretty much a D'Addario man and stuck with combinations of 9's and 10's so this will be quite interesting for me to see the results.

The only problem I can see is that for the two trem-eguipped guitars I am gonna need to add a few tremolo springs to compensate for the heavier gauge strings. The trem adjustment screws are pretty close to the body already so there is not a lot of leeway. I am able to get genuine springs for the Fender but I expect finding the same for the Ibanez to be quite unlikely.

I checked them out and differences between them seem minor: #Fender - 8mm width & 38 coils #Ibanez - 8mm width & 39 coils. So, I expect the Ibanez stock springs have a little more tension. At present, I have 3 springs in both and was looking to get two more for each. That may be overkill but gives flexibility and no nasty surprises should I find I can't get the balance right.

My main question is: if I just get 4x the genuine Fender springs and install two of those in the Ibanez is there anything I should be aware of? Is it worth the shortcut to save a little dough and needless effort?

Cheers.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My gear? Mesa Boogie Triaxis - TC Electronic G-Major - Marshall 9200 Dual MonoBloc (2x100W) - Fender Roc Pro 4x12 (300W) + a whole lot more!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Sep 23 2009, 11:34 PM
I suppose I should answer my own question.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My gear? Mesa Boogie Triaxis - TC Electronic G-Major - Marshall 9200 Dual MonoBloc (2x100W) - Fender Roc Pro 4x12 (300W) + a whole lot more!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 23 2009, 11:48 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
It's a quations of what's practical, you'd need more springs with thicker strings. But it's also a question of what's comfortable. I have 5 springs in my Charvel with 010's, I like resistance in the tremolo.

Yeah, maybe you should answer your own question. Trial and error is a good way of succeeding. If the springs look the same there's nothing stopping you from trying smile.gif

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Sep 24 2009, 12:18 AM
Cheers for that. I ask basic questions out of necessity really. I have had to give myself a big education in guitar setup lately since I can't afford to send my guitars off to a trusted tech anymore. So now I have been plucking up the courage to just do it myself! smile.gif A big reason why I haven't experimented with string gauges and brands so much in the past was because I knew it would throw the setup out.

I am slowly learning that trial-and-error is sometimes the only way to know whether what you endeavor to accomplish is successful or not. Just do it, dammit! smile.gif I can't spend days, weeks, and months umming and ahhing about the pros and cons really. So thanks for the hand holding there, bud. I need it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Sep 25 2009, 03:19 PM
Experimenting's good. In this case, there shouldn't be any major downside of using the Fender springs on the Ibanez. If it doesn't work out, it isn't going to break anything. If the Fender springs pull a little harder than the Ibanez ones, you might want to make sure they're installed symmetrically...so they're on opposite sides of the centerline...so they don't pull the bridge sideways.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Sep 26 2009, 12:40 AM
Prudent advice. Since I have an odd number of springs already and only have an even number of slots left that will work out well by keeping the added tension balanced. Thanks. Yeah I am being overly cautious I know! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:01 PM