Bass Setup Question
NoSkill
May 28 2010, 03:00 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi Bogdan,

I have two bass guitars. A Fender Jazz Bass, and a Musicman Stingray. In some of the recordings I've made with the J bass, there was a clicking when I picked the strings. I had the action very low and was able to greatly decrease that sound by raising the action a bit. The noise, as I could tell, was coming from the strings making a contact "click," with the upper register frets, after I plucked the string. This only happened when I was plucking aggressively.

The Stingray has a different tendency. When I fret and pluck the note, it sounds pure, but when I release the fret, I get a minute buzz. This shows up in recording, but I don't hear it when I play. I've messed with the action, but get the same result with it higher, or lower. The noise is coming from the string buzzing against the fret that I'm playing, WHEN I release my finger. I get the same noise if I release fast or slow. How do I fix this? There is a tiny bit of relief on the neck, but it's essentially flat. Maybe a few thousands with the bass fretted at the body joint ant the first fret.

Sorry, I don't know the strings or gauge. It's still strung with what it had from the music store.

I hope I'm explaining myself well enough.

Thanks, Bogdan!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by NoSkill: May 28 2010, 03:13 PM

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
NoSkill
Jun 4 2010, 05:09 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
That's good stuff man!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:45 AM