2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Your Own Music Releases
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 28 2015, 01:59 PM
Instructor
We are always talking about technique, scales, guitar goals, practice plans, improvisation, composition, but now I'd like to talk about your plans regarding realizing your own music.

By "realizing" I mean completing these steps:

- Composing
- Arranging
- Recording
- Mixing/Mastering
- Publishing (Youtube channel, Bandcamp, Spotify or physical copies)

I've said many times that we don't have to wait until we are advanced players to start creating and releasing our own music, and also that having real music projects is the best way to keep motivating and growing as musician.

What are you thoughts about this? What's your plan regarding this topic? Is there any new stuff coming?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 28 2015, 08:49 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Nice thread Gab,
I thought about building on the tune below and publishing it after Chris S said he listens to it when he gets in from work as it relaxes him. I thought it might help people with insomnia.
I also thought about releasing an "EP" with my creativity workshop tracks on. I was thinking of calling it "GMC. Creative Times" or similar.
Never got the time to work on it though.
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/cw-1

Cheers

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 28 2015, 09:16 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 28 2015, 10:20 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I really like trying to write riffs and songs. Ive not done it for a while though. In the future when Im a bit better at playing I would like to maybe hook up with some other folks and do some original material. It would be interesting to see where that goes cool.gif

I recorded these a while ago now and its a rough mix just straight from reaper but they are a couple of pieces that I quite like.
The first is just an idea of an intro / verse / chorus type ( not a full song )
https://soundcloud.com/bleez666/proggish2

This was a complete song I thought had a bit of potential. Rough as hell mix cool.gif Its a stoner rock - truckfighters meets hawkwind kinda vibe -
https://soundcloud.com/bleez666/stoner2

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Sep 28 2015, 11:01 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 28 2015, 12:59 PM) *
- Publishing (Youtube channel, Bandcamp, Spotify or physical copies)

I've said many times that we don't have to wait until we are advanced players to start creating and releasing our own music, and also that having real music projects is the best way to keep motivating and growing as musician.

I couldn't agree more. I paid a modest one-time fee to cdbaby and now I have an album on Spotify and iTunes. Working towards completion of a published album is an excellent goal to to strive for.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 28 2015, 11:25 PM
GMC:er
Small world! I emailed Kris Dahl and asked him if he'd mind if I did the same thing smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 28 2015, 03:49 PM) *
Nice thread Gab,
I thought about building on the tune below and publishing it after Chris S said he listens to it when he gets in from work as it relaxes him. I thought it might help people with insomnia.
I also thought about releasing an "EP" with my creativity workshop tracks on. I was thinking of calling it "GMC. Creative Times" or similar.

Cheers

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 29 2015, 02:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 28 2015, 04:49 PM) *
Nice thread Gab,

Cheers

Hi Phil! Let me say that this is a brilliant idea and that you should definitely go for it!! Let's discuss about how to release it. Are you planning on using youtube? bandcamp? spotify? itunes? everything?

I can help you with this. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 29 2015, 02:34 PM
I had only thought about iTunes really but I don't get the time to make it better as well as my practise. It's sitting on the back burner in my head though. smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 29 2015, 02:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 28 2015, 06:20 PM) *
I really like trying to write riffs and songs. Ive not done it for a while though. In the future when Im a bit better at playing I would like to maybe hook up with some other folks and do some original material. It would be interesting to see where that goes cool.gif

I recorded these a while ago now and its a rough mix just straight from reaper but they are a couple of pieces that I quite like.
The first is just an idea of an intro / verse / chorus type ( not a full song )
https://soundcloud.com/bleez666/proggish2

This was a complete song I thought had a bit of potential. Rough as hell mix cool.gif Its a stoner rock - truckfighters meets hawkwind kinda vibe -
https://soundcloud.com/bleez666/stoner2

Beautiful stuff mate! Both the first idea and the complete song sound really good, very professional, and could be part of a same album. Maybe an instrumental EP? Have you tried singing over these ones?

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Sep 28 2015, 07:01 PM) *
I couldn't agree more. I paid a modest one-time fee to cdbaby and now I have an album on Spotify and iTunes. Working towards completion of a published album is an excellent goal to to strive for.

Share it with us!

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 29 2015, 10:34 AM) *
I had only thought about iTunes really but I don't get the time to make it better as well as my practise. It's sitting on the back burner in my head though. smile.gif

dedicate 2 hours per week to this.... maybe 1 hour one day and one hour another day. You should:

- Polish the compositions.
- Polish mixing.
- Get into the online distribution world. Check these sites: http://www.cdbaby.com/ http://www.tunecore.com/

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 28 2015, 07:25 PM) *
Small world! I emailed Kris Dahl and asked him if he'd mind if I did the same thing smile.gif

This would be great!! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 29 2015, 02:47 PM
Cheers Gab,
Maybe a weekend project. I thought of recording the track I shared above again, making it longer and looping it for thirty minutes purely as a sleep/relaxation thing.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 29 2015, 02:49 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 29 2015, 02:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 29 2015, 10:47 AM) *
Cheers Gab,
Maybe a weekend project. I thought of recording the track I shared above again, making it longer and looping it for thirty minutes purely as a sleep/relaxation thing.

That's a good idea for a youtube video.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 29 2015, 03:03 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 29 2015, 02:58 PM) *
That's a good idea for a youtube video.

If it was to help people drift of to sleep it would need to be a wav or mp3. I was going to test it on my mom as she struggles sleeping. I'd have to put it on a cd for her. 76 years old and no Internet rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 29 2015, 03:05 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 30 2015, 06:23 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 29 2015, 02:39 PM) *
Beautiful stuff mate! Both the first idea and the complete song sound really good, very professional, and could be part of a same album. Maybe an instrumental EP? Have you tried singing over these ones?

thanks Gab smile.gif I'd like to get some vocals on them. Im not sure Im up to it personally, but maybe in the not too distant future I'll find someone who is up for it.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 30 2015, 02:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 29 2015, 11:03 AM) *
If it was to help people drift of to sleep it would need to be a wav or mp3. I was going to test it on my mom as she struggles sleeping. I'd have to put it on a cd for her. 76 years old and no Internet rolleyes.gif

Well, I noticed that there are many youtube videos for this purpose, and also for meditation which has lots of views, so maybe uploading it to youtube and sharing a download link in the description would be a good idea.

QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 30 2015, 02:23 AM) *
thanks Gab smile.gif I'd like to get some vocals on them. Im not sure Im up to it personally, but maybe in the not too distant future I'll find someone who is up for it.

Keep on polishing the songs and composing. The more you progress with this project, the easier will be to find people who want to join.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 30 2015, 03:40 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 30 2015, 02:19 PM) *
Well, I noticed that there are many youtube videos for this purpose, and also for meditation which has lots of views, so maybe uploading it to youtube and sharing a download link in the description would be a good idea.

Good idea Gab, I didn't think of that smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 1 2015, 03:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 30 2015, 11:40 AM) *
Good idea Gab, I didn't think of that smile.gif

Go for it! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 1 2015, 03:15 PM
I'm seriously considering it mate. I guess there's nothing to lose eh?
Cheers buddy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 1 2015, 03:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 1 2015, 11:15 AM) *
I'm seriously considering it mate. I guess there's nothing to lose eh?
Cheers buddy.

That's the question that you always have to do yourself when you are not sure to do something... what am I losing by trying? What's the risk?
Most of the times, there are no negative risks... wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Oct 2 2015, 02:46 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
This is really what I want to be doing, but am completely stuck. I am doing exactly what you said, waiting to be a better musician, and as a result I get exactly nowhere with my own music and actually being creative. I don't know how to proceed with writing my own music at all, I always want to but never actually get anywhere. I don't know where to even begin, it's very frustrating and does hurt the motivation.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 2 2015, 02:49 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (yoncopin @ Oct 2 2015, 10:46 AM) *
This is really what I want to be doing, but am completely stuck. I am doing exactly what you said, waiting to be a better musician, and as a result I get exactly nowhere with my own music and actually being creative. I don't know how to proceed with writing my own music at all, I always want to but never actually get anywhere. I don't know where to even begin, it's very frustrating and does hurt the motivation.

Do you have an idea on musical direction of your music?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Oct 2 2015, 02:54 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 2 2015, 09:49 AM) *
Do you have an idea on musical direction of your music?

Like genre? I mostly like blues-based classic rock, stoner and thrash metal, but many more too including various forms of electronic music. is that what you mean?

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:41 AM