Difference Between A Class A And Class Ab Tube Amp?
Goliath
Dec 5 2007, 07:05 PM
GMC:er
I often see reference to Class A and class AB when looking at amps... what's the difference? Usually smaller tube amps boast as being class A. My guess is 1 channel vs. multi channel?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Twibeard
Dec 5 2007, 10:14 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Goliath @ Dec 5 2007, 07:05 PM) *
I often see reference to Class A and class AB when looking at amps... what's the difference? Usually smaller tube amps boast as being class A. My guess is 1 channel vs. multi channel?

Class A amps are the cleanest amps, but output is like 25-50% of the power applied.
Class AB amps are more unlinear, but output are something like 70-80% of the power applied.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitar: Ibanez RG370DXCE my backup is a Fender Strat.
Amps: Marshall MG and Line6 Spider III 75W combo (preferred)

Recording stuff: Cubase SX3, Logic emagic, Novation ReMote SL, M-Audio Pro
Synth experiance: Roland, MoTu, Native Instrument, Spectrasonics and Steinberg
Main VST's: Kontakt2, FM8, Bass station, Ezdrummer, MoTu EI, Atmosphere, Crystall

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 6 2007, 03:02 PM
Instructor
ALso AB is actually two class B working together in a push-pull relationship, each working on one half of the sine wave, thus combining both you get somewhat something that resembles on a class A. Advantage of AB amps is that they do not disipate the power as much as class A, but they do not have quality sound, since they quickly distort. Class A is usually used for high end tube hi-fi amps since it gives the most purest sound. CLass AB usually in mainstream audio equipment where power comsuption is important and sound quality is important (important only on small levels).

THis is all not expert knowlegde, so if someone who is in the filed can explain it that would be great.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:46 AM