2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Huge Decision On Rest Of Life
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 4 2008, 02:24 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Mar 3 2008, 03:37 PM) *
Thanks for the awesome advice man. Where is best to look for Systems Engineering jobs in USA. I don't know anything about the States so have no idea which area is best for Engineers and to live in. I always fancied living in Connecticut.

Well Connecticut is really cool, and has the whole New England thing going for it - New Englnd is an enclave of a few states (Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island and Massachusets), that are the most like "The old country" - really old school USA, and I love the life here, but if you are moving purely for work reaosns, there is no contest, you have to be in the Bay Area - just south of San Fransisco, Silion Valley, so called. Its an absolute gold mine of IT companies - the whos who of the internet, more IT companies per square foot than anywhere else in the world. My company is based there, I work remotely in Connecticut. I get over to San Fransisco several times a year and it is a cool area - Caifornia man smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 4 2008, 09:56 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Mar 4 2008, 01:24 AM) *
Well Connecticut is really cool, and has the whole New England thing going for it - New Englnd is an enclave of a few states (Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island and Massachusets), that are the most like "The old country" - really old school USA, and I love the life here, but if you are moving purely for work reaosns, there is no contest, you have to be in the Bay Area - just south of San Fransisco, Silion Valley, so called. Its an absolute gold mine of IT companies - the whos who of the internet, more IT companies per square foot than anywhere else in the world. My company is based there, I work remotely in Connecticut. I get over to San Fransisco several times a year and it is a cool area - Caifornia man smile.gif

I know I'm asking a lot but you have achieved this already. Have you got maybe a 5 or 10 step plan of steps I need to take to get from now with no idea how to go about it to actually doing it. What are the important milestones I need to reach?

I really want to live in Connecticut but I feel living on the East Coast would be more appropiate or Texas and get a job for Lockheed Martin or something. I've worked at BAE Systems for the last 6 years.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 4 2008, 02:01 PM
I think I'd like to live in Greenwich, Connecticut or Bridgeport, Connecticut. I'm guessing there are no big engineering companies round these parts though? Are they decent areas or not also?

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Goliath
Mar 4 2008, 02:35 PM
There are starting to be more and more in the south. The 85 and 75 corridors are starting to really boom. Plus, the south's weather pwns the New England area tongue.gif. Florida might not be a bad area, as there is no state income tax, but there isn't one in Tennessee either. Cisco, Siemens, GE, and a number of other major companies (not necessarily IT related but certainly have their share of the IT jobs) are headquartered out of the South East.

Andrew is right though, Silicon Valley has the most tech jobs than anywhere, however the cost of living in the bay area is outrageously high.

Being a native southerner, I don't know how anyone could willingly subject themselves to a climate with winters as harsh as the NE. I recognize I'm being naive, but I'm spoiled from having lived in ultra temperate Atlanta my whole life. I don't think i could move much further North without being miserable.

This post has been edited by Goliath: Mar 4 2008, 02:37 PM

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:51 PM