Log
Phil66
Jul 6 2014, 08:38 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello all,

I'm new to GMC and am wondering if there is a way to log the lessons you have taken? Also is there a more user friendly lesson list? I have decided to go right back to the beginning even though I have been playing for a while, I find you always pick up on something you had forgotten or never knew, because of this I have to keep clicking on the "Click to see more" button at the bottom of the list every time I log in.

I do like GMC but I feel a lot could be learnt y looking at JamPlay.

Cheers all

Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 6 2014, 09:11 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, welcome to GMC!

I don't understand exactly what you mean when you say: "wondering if there is a way to log the lessons you have taken?"

We have a big archive of lessons that can make you a bit difficult to decide which is the most appropriated to work on but we are here to help you to decide which lessons you should work depending on your current level, your guitar goals and you musical tastes.

If you want to do a review of all the basic concepts and techniques I recommend you to check the lessons from our beginners corner: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/lessonser...ginners-Corner/

Once you are sure that you are comfortable with that stuff, you can start working on more advanced stuff from our intermediate section: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/video-lessons/intermediate/

I would like to know some more info about you in order to give you more specific suggestions.

- musical tastes
- what you know about theory
- guitar goals
- do you have any video of you playing? please share it with me.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Jul 6 2014, 09:19 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 6 2014, 03:38 PM) *
Hello all,

I'm new to GMC and am wondering if there is a way to log the lessons you have taken? Also is there a more user friendly lesson list? I have decided to go right back to the beginning even though I have been playing for a while, I find you always pick up on something you had forgotten or never knew, because of this I have to keep clicking on the "Click to see more" button at the bottom of the list every time I log in.

I do like GMC but I feel a lot could be learnt y looking at JamPlay.

Cheers all

Phil

Hey Phil id suggest opening up to the instructors and they will get you personalized suggestions based on your level and goals. I've been here for a while and only started to see positive results when i stayed on a practice routine. Sometimes I'll find a lesson is like to learn and I'll Bookmark it to keep track.

Good luck man!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 6 2014, 09:20 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hi Phil, great to see you in the forum! smile.gif

You can keep track of the lessons you have taken by using the "Bookmarks" functionality found in the upper right corner next to the login section. You could create different folders (ex: Completed Lessons, Need more practice...etc) and add different lessons there.

How to add a lesson to bookmarks:

- Go to the lesson you wish to bookmark
- Click on the Bookmark button in the upper right corner
- Click "Bookmark this lesson"

For a more personal guidance, I would suggest joining one of instructor led mentoring programs.
Click here to learn more about this : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=43604

I'd suggest being as active in the community (forum, video chat etc) with any questions you might have along your guitar journey.
We are all here to help!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 7 2014, 07:37 AM
Instructor
Howdy there smile.gif The guys mentioned the mentoring programs and it so happens that I am running one myself smile.gif

GMC has a human component which offers real time feedback from instructors monitoring your playing and development in general. No software or program or Youtube video can give you that. That is why I think that GMC could help you a lot more than anything, but in order to become able to help out, we would need to know about your preferences and level of playing, gear and so on smile.gif

This is why I am inviting you to take a look here: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...t=0&start=0 and if you are interested, please take the time to send me a PM with the answers to the questions you will find there and I will be happy to start working together on your development in respect to guitar playing.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 8 2014, 09:09 PM
Thanks for your help everyone, the bookmark thing is useful.
I am into mainly rock/blues, I love Satriani, Vai, SRV and Robert Johnson.
I have a Peavey telecaster style guitar, a Squire Strat, an Epiphone Les Paul '56 Gold Top, an Epiphone Les Paul in heritage cherry sunburst, A Squire HMIII and an Ibanez RG1570. I also have a cheap and cheerful Tanglewood Rebel 4k bass.
Amps are Peavey Bandit Transtube original edition, a Vox Lil Nightrain and Roland Cube 30 bass amp.
Just sold my Boss GT10 and have an ME80 on the way tomorrow, (much simpler)
I also have a Roland Cakewalk Studio V20.
I have bought all of the Troy Stetina books over the years, still can't jam, only ever learnt one song right through, including solo and that was Rock the Nation by Montrose.
I can do all the techniques, bends, hammer ons, pull offs, vibrato etc, maybe not proficiently but I know what I'm supposed to be doing.
I'd love one day to be able to play something like Scuttle Buttin' by SRV, I love his style.
Hope this helps.
Thanks

Phil

P.S Can admin please check why I am not receiving emails notification of replies. I did tick the box. Thanks

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 9 2014, 08:04 PM
Instructor
Hey buddy smile.gif You have a PM waiting for ya wink.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 9 2014, 09:08 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 9 2014, 07:04 PM) *
Hey buddy smile.gif You have a PM waiting for ya wink.gif

Thank you so much, I have replied.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 10 2014, 04:12 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 8 2014, 10:09 PM) *
Thanks for your help everyone, the bookmark thing is useful.
I am into mainly rock/blues, I love Satriani, Vai, SRV and Robert Johnson.
I have a Peavey telecaster style guitar, a Squire Strat, an Epiphone Les Paul '56 Gold Top, an Epiphone Les Paul in heritage cherry sunburst, A Squire HMIII and an Ibanez RG1570. I also have a cheap and cheerful Tanglewood Rebel 4k bass.
Amps are Peavey Bandit Transtube original edition, a Vox Lil Nightrain and Roland Cube 30 bass amp.
Just sold my Boss GT10 and have an ME80 on the way tomorrow, (much simpler)
I also have a Roland Cakewalk Studio V20.
I have bought all of the Troy Stetina books over the years, still can't jam, only ever learnt one song right through, including solo and that was Rock the Nation by Montrose.
I can do all the techniques, bends, hammer ons, pull offs, vibrato etc, maybe not proficiently but I know what I'm supposed to be doing.
I'd love one day to be able to play something like Scuttle Buttin' by SRV, I love his style.
Hope this helps.
Thanks

Phil

P.S Can admin please check why I am not receiving emails notification of replies. I did tick the box. Thanks

Hi Phil, I'd like to challenge you something if you don't mind? smile.gif

You said that you still can't jam and I just don't (want to) believe it.
Do you know how to play the C major scale and Mixolydian scale/mode?

Here are two challenges :

CHALLENGE 1: Jazz

1. Play this backing track : click here

Here is the progression :

2. Jam over the track using only C major scale, throughout.

CHALLENGE 2: Blues

1. Play this backing track : click here

2. This is standard blues I-IV-V progression in A. First job is to identify when chord changes occur (and which chords are playing).

3. Jam over the backing track using only notes from the Mixolydian scale of each chord and you can do it in any rhythm you want (even just repeating same rhythm/pattern). If its a the A7 chord in the backing, play A mixolydian, if its D7 then play D mixolydian and so on.

Here is the mixolydian scale you can use (don't forget to change scale for each chord - over D7 you want to play D7 Mixolydian) :

To make it easier to track changes, start on the Root note (A in case of A7 chord) on each chord change.
Why are you doing this, it helps being able to efficiently track chord changes vs scale you use and identifying strong notes. This is the most difficult part in getting started with soloing and once you get more comfortable with practice, adding other notes/scales and techniques will be easy. This is the basis of it all : following chord changes successfully and landing on strong notes.

Please send me an audio or video recording of this if you have a possibility or just post text feedback on how it went.
I'm really curious to hear your impressions from this exercise and we could discuss it further?

p.s. if you were wondering from where the backings came from, they are from these two courses on GMC:

Blues Guitar Theory Guide and Jazz Guitar Basics

Anyone else willing to give this a go? Please do and post your impressions!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 10 2014, 08:14 PM
Thanks Bogdan,
As I am just getting back into playing the second challenge seems daunting to me, the first one I can have a go at. Cosmin has given me some things to do also, it's all happening a little too quick for. Please don't think I am ungrateful, I am very grateful of all of your enthusiasm, I just need to get back to grips with the basics first. I am going on holiday at the end of next week for two weeks and am currently very busy at work trying to get everything in order before I go so I won't get much time.

Thank you very much, I am converted to GMC already. I am impressed with how helpful people are.

Thank you again, I'll give it a go at the weekend.

When I said I can't jam, I can, sort of but it is very boring, it lacks flourish, my playing is like reading a letter in block capitals compared to other people whose playing is like reading a letter in lovely handwriting, I hope you get what I mean.

Thanks again, I'm just going to sort out my bookmarks so I know where I am.

Phil,

P.S I also like most rock currently playing a lot of Black Stone Cherry, a lot of blues (particularly the old acoustic stuff), and some country.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 11 2014, 11:09 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 10 2014, 07:14 PM) *
Thanks Bogdan,
As I am just getting back into playing the second challenge seems daunting to me, the first one I can have a go at. Cosmin has given me some things to do also, it's all happening a little too quick for. Please don't think I am ungrateful, I am very grateful of all of your enthusiasm, I just need to get back to grips with the basics first. I am going on holiday at the end of next week for two weeks and am currently very busy at work trying to get everything in order before I go so I won't get much time.

Thank you very much, I am converted to GMC already. I am impressed with how helpful people are.

When I said I can't jam, I can, sort of but it is very boring, it lacks flourish, my playing is like reading a letter in block capitals compared to other people whose playing is like reading a letter in lovely handwriting, I hope you get what I mean.

Phil,

P.S I also like most rock currently playing a lot of Black Stone Cherry, a lot of blues (particularly the old acoustic stuff), and some country.

Hey mate! Thank you for your kind words about the family which you have become a part of! smile.gif There is no rush, Bogdan suggested a great drill, but it doesn't mean you have to do it tomorrow wink.gif Let's take things step by step and all will be alright. Focusing on less will get you further along the way, rather than trying to cope with a lot of stuff at once. Get back from your vacation and we'll take care of everything - do we have a deal, Sir? wink.gif

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Jul 11 2014, 11:10 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 11 2014, 08:15 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 11 2014, 10:09 AM) *
Hey mate! Thank you for your kind words about the family which you have become a part of! smile.gif There is no rush, Bogdan suggested a great drill, but it doesn't mean you have to do it tomorrow wink.gif Let's take things step by step and all will be alright. Focusing on less will get you further along the way, rather than trying to cope with a lot of stuff at once. Get back from your vacation and we'll take care of everything - do we have a deal, Sir? wink.gif

We have a deal, I only get around 1 hour to practise for 5 days, maybe sometimes a bit more at weekends, I do live my life as much as time allows so don't get much time in the "studio".
I didn't notice your link to the question so here are my answers.
* How long have you been playing the guitar? 20 years but got no further after 6 months.
* What do you feel your current level is? Novice
* What sort of theoretical knowledge do you have so far? Pentatonic shape 1, power chords, open chords.
* How much time/day can you spend practicing? 1 hour, maybe more at weekends.
* What are your favorite techniques? Everything if I could do it.
* What would you like to improve? Everything, especially my ear and improvisational skills which are currently extremely limited
* What is your current experience as a player (band, studio, home)? Home
* What gear do you own? See above
* Name a few favorite artists that inspire your playing, Satriani, Vai, Robert Johnson, Van Halen, SRV.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 12 2014, 12:36 AM
Hi Phil,

No rush with the challenge! smile.gif

The key to nailing the second challenge is to pick a certain rhythm which utilizes a few of the notes from the mixolydian scale focusing on the chord tones (arpeggio notes), and to play it over and over again over each chord (changing the shape, moving the root, to accommodate each chord). It will not sound like soloing at first but the goal is to become comfortable landing on strong notes at the right time (when chord changes occur). Once this becomes habit, it will be easier to come up with meaningful solos and nice melodies. Usually when we find our soloing weak it is because we are not following the chord changes successfully (=not playing our strong notes (notes from which chords are made) on chord changes).

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 10 2014, 09:14 PM) *
Thanks Bogdan,

Phil,

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 12 2014, 09:29 AM
Hello Bogdan,

I'll be totally honest; at the moment that scares me huh.gif

Thanks

Phil

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jul 11 2014, 11:36 PM) *
Hi Phil,

No rush with the challenge! smile.gif

The key to nailing the second challenge is to pick a certain rhythm which utilizes a few of the notes from the mixolydian scale focusing on the chord tones (arpeggio notes), and to play it over and over again over each chord (changing the shape, moving the root, to accommodate each chord). It will not sound like soloing at first but the goal is to become comfortable landing on strong notes at the right time (when chord changes occur). Once this becomes habit, it will be easier to come up with meaningful solos and nice melodies. Usually when we find our soloing weak it is because we are not following the chord changes successfully (=not playing our strong notes (notes from which chords are made) on chord changes).

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 12 2014, 05:10 PM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif I am curious about what makes you feel so scared about it? Is it the word 'challenge' or? It's not a test and not a deadly competition tongue.gif Just a fun thing to do and as long as you treat it accordingly, it might just bring you some amazing results smile.gif Please share some thoughts on this, as I am really looking forward to helping you out.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 12 2014, 08:14 PM
Hello Cosmin,

It isn't the challenge that "scares" me, it's the words in Bogdan's post ohmy.gif , things like "pick a certain rhythm which utilizes a few of the notes from the mixolydian scale focusing on the chord tones (arpeggio notes)", and " landing on strong notes at the right time", it seems a lot think about all at once, at my current level anyway. This is why I decided to do the First Steps lessons no matter how far I am, I thought it would be good to start from the beginning, concentrate on getting rid of any bad habits etc.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 13 2014, 11:24 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 12 2014, 07:14 PM) *
Hello Cosmin,

It isn't the challenge that "scares" me, it's the words in Bogdan's post ohmy.gif , things like "pick a certain rhythm which utilizes a few of the notes from the mixolydian scale focusing on the chord tones (arpeggio notes)", and " landing on strong notes at the right time", it seems a lot think about all at once, at my current level anyway. This is why I decided to do the First Steps lessons no matter how far I am, I thought it would be good to start from the beginning, concentrate on getting rid of any bad habits etc.

Cheers

Phil

Hey Phil smile.gif Your plan seems like a very good one indeed. Getting yourself prepared for such a challenge that Bogdan speaks about, is done by mastering the basics and by understanding what those terms he mentioned all mean. Once you are comfortable with these notions, you won't have to think about them at all because they will be a natural result of your playing.

I would be happy to talk to you about the theoretical aspects involved in the challenge, so please let me know if you would be interested, as we could throw in some extra theory exercises aside from what we are already working on together smile.gif It will definitely serve you well wink.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 14 2014, 03:04 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 12 2014, 09:14 PM) *
Hello Cosmin,

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil - thanks a lot for this feedback, it is very helpful to me.
You are absolutely right, it does sound scary when phrased like that.

Please let me make it easier by providing the practical examples for the blues challenge :

Audio example: Attached File  Blues_Soloing_Strong_Notes_Practice.mp3 ( 9.1MB ) Number of downloads: 68

PDF Tablature of the example: Attached File  Blues_Example_1.pdf ( 47.23K ) Number of downloads: 67

The goal with this challenge is to be somewhat aware of the Mixolydian scale notes and over time become comfortable matching chords and scales, in this case A7 with A Mixolydian, D7 with D Mixolydian and so on. You'll notice that the notes I have picked out in the example all sound very strong. Those are your "safe" notes that are very good to land on when soloing. For example you are playing the lick using notes of the mixolydian or some other scale, landing on any of those notes will be good to finish the phrase and "underline" the chord change that happened beneath your solo. First step is to just get comfortable with landing on those note over chord changes. Try the pattern/rhythm from the tabbed example for start. After some practice, try adding few more notes in between from the scale or exchanging notes that I used for other scale notes, just for fun and see how it sounds smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 14 2014, 07:39 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jul 14 2014, 02:04 PM) *
Hi Phil - thanks a lot for this feedback, it is very helpful to me.
You are absolutely right, it does sound scary when phrased like that.

Please let me make it easier by providing the practical examples for the blues challenge :

Audio example: Attached File  Blues_Soloing_Strong_Notes_Practice.mp3 ( 9.1MB ) Number of downloads: 68

PDF Tablature of the example: Attached File  Blues_Example_1.pdf ( 47.23K ) Number of downloads: 67

The goal with this challenge is to be somewhat aware of the Mixolydian scale notes and over time become comfortable matching chords and scales, in this case A7 with A Mixolydian, D7 with D Mixolydian and so on. You'll notice that the notes I have picked out in the example all sound very strong. Those are your "safe" notes that are very good to land on when soloing. For example you are playing the lick using notes of the mixolydian or some other scale, landing on any of those notes will be good to finish the phrase and "underline" the chord change that happened beneath your solo. First step is to just get comfortable with landing on those note over chord changes. Try the pattern/rhythm from the tabbed example for start. After some practice, try adding few more notes in between from the scale or exchanging notes that I used for other scale notes, just for fun and see how it sounds smile.gif

Thanks Bogdan,

Sometimes when I read things even like your "friendly" version, I am defeated before I start sad.gif lol. Maybe it's just to much of a jump from where I am now.
I have made a big step (for me anyway) and ordered a webcam with mic. Please understand, this is very hard for me to show people me doing things that I am not very good at, I lack confidence to do it with anything that I am not good at so don't laugh when you see it biggrin.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 15 2014, 08:10 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 14 2014, 06:39 PM) *
Thanks Bogdan,

Sometimes when I read things even like your "friendly" version, I am defeated before I start sad.gif lol. Maybe it's just to much of a jump from where I am now.
I have made a big step (for me anyway) and ordered a webcam with mic. Please understand, this is very hard for me to show people me doing things that I am not very good at, I lack confidence to do it with anything that I am not good at so don't laugh when you see it biggrin.gif

Cheers

Phil

Hey mate smile.gif It's a VERY important step and I congratulate you for it! Now, no one is going to laugh at you here and that's a promise!

I always keep my word, so you can relax smile.gif Sharing your playing with us will help you evolve WAY faster than you would imagine, simply because we are on the outside and we can see what needs more focus from you, so please do record and do share smile.gif Your only opponent is yourself, whenever you tell yourself you can't do something.

The mind is a helpful tool but it can also bury us deep if we let it. For instance, I was recording a video in the studio this Sunday and I had to play a difficult solo on an amp I wasn't used with. Needless to say, it didn't have the necessary amount of gain I was used with and I felt I couldn't pull it through to the end. My mind told me to stop, somewhere, unconsciously and I felt frustrated to say the least... Well, then I thought - Hey! You rehearsed this a few hundreds of times until now, now focus and record! It took me 13 tries, but I managed to pull it through quite nicely, although I wasn't very satisfied when I finished. When I got home and listened, it was nice smile.gif

That's pretty much the way to do it - stop thinking and start doing. Thinking should only be done when preparing for something, so step by step, start the preparations smile.gif

First of all, you should start reading the theoretical aspects involved with the Major scale and then with the Mixolydian mode, which can be found in here:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=47641

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=48114

Please let me know what your thoughts are smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:58 PM