2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Self Discipline Advice Please
Phil66
Apr 1 2016, 07:39 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello folks,

I'm hoping you can help me with an age old problem of mine rolleyes.gif

I always enter my practise space saying "Right! I'm splitting my time into 3 parts; lesson; workshop; jamming". I then end up spending my whole time on my current favourite which at the moment is the applied theory workshop. I actually get so carried away I sometimes spend a lot of extra time on it finalising a recording or something and when I end up going to spend time with my wife it is only 30 minutes from bed time (I have an early start of 5:30am so need a fairly early bedtime of 22:30) and then I feel awful for not spending much time with her though she never ever moans about it, bless her little cotton socks wub.gif

How do you manage yourself to make yourself do what you say your going to do? I've tried all sorts of things like alarms in another room, I just go and switch them off and get back to my practise. I've tried alarms on the screen, all sorts. The alarm thing worked for a few days as it was like being at school and the end of a lesson but that soon waned.

So any advice would be gratefully received as I am neglecting my Petrucci lesson and other things.

Thanks folks smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nikeman64
Apr 1 2016, 08:41 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
See what you mean bro, been there too.

Dedicated men are wanting animals. Sometimes the mind wants more than the body , or relationship huh.gif can handle. When I started to take guitar seriously I played 5 to 6 hours a day. (I worked in shifts) . After working a whole night I plugged in my six string without sleeping. But that took so much out of me that I started to have problems at doing my job well. I guess it all comes to realising that and making a good schedule, and STICK to that !!! (despite a few exceptions huh wink.gif )
Besides , I think we learn in "waves", meaning that we cannot move forward and get better everytime we pick up our guitar. There are good and bad days, and you need to listen to that. Rest, as boring as it is, is also a factor !!!! Try to realise that and grow somediscipline in it ! And in these boring times of rest you can adore these little cotton socks to the fullest tongue.gif laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Experienced Tone Seeker

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 1 2016, 08:50 PM
Thanks man, your last line made me smile biggrin.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 2 2016, 03:56 AM
GMC:er
Especially at first, discipline takes effort. One way to make it a bit easier is to try to do things that you want to do that will help you do things you need to do. E.G. Learn songs that you want to play as a way to help you learn licks you want to learn. After a while you will be able to learn things by ear that seemed impossible not to long ago. Then start using Tablature to learn things that you can't learn by ear, then dip your toe in to reading music. Start small and keep it interesting. The worst thing you can do is quit. If you can just keep playing, not matter what you are playing, just keep at it. smile.gif

Todd

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 2 2016, 09:20 AM
Thanks Todd,
I enjoy everything but my big problem is I go through my whole practice session doing one thing. Currently I need to work on my Petrucci lesson, the Applied Theory lesson, and the creativity lesson BUT I always stick on just one, I never intend to but it's like playing a video game, I keep having one more go , I keep saying "aaaargh I'll get it right this time then do something else", but I say that for 90 minutes.
I've even thought about " rubber band on the wrist" therapy laugh.gif
Cheers buddy. smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Apr 2 2016, 10:46 AM
Learning Roadie
Spending time with loved ones and having enough time to practice is always a difficult one.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 2 2016, 04:17 PM
I'll be the contrarian and say that it's perfectly fine to focus on one thing during your practice session - especially if you're really into it.
Why do you have to practice the Petrucci lesson? Are you gonna play Dream Theater songs on a gig that's coming up?

Intensely practicing one thing will also help all the other things. It may not be so obvious in the beginning but trust me, it does. You will gravitate towards working on the other things once you feel that you have a bit of a handle on the theory stuff. *It's how I practice and I've been doing this for a living for almost 30 years now.

The fact that you want to and that you can sit down with your axe for a solid 3 hours is friggin' fantastic. I wouldn't question it too much.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 2 2016, 05:44 PM
Thanks Ken,
Very valid comments there, I guess I feel I'm missing out by not doing the Petrucci lesson because it is a set piece that I will enter into REC whereas the Applied Theory is improvisation so I'm not forced to do techniques I'm not good at and therefore may not improve.
Hope this makes a much sense to you as your comments did to me.
Cheers buddy smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Apr 2 2016, 05:59 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
I have to agree with Ken. But if you want to focus on 3 different things to practice. Rather than trying to split your practice session into 3 areas, why not dedicated each session to one of the 3 and alternate daily?

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 2 2016, 06:04 PM
Yes, that makes sense ... from the standpoint that you have a personal 'goal' (the REC).
AK Rich's above advice is also excellent.
Music isn't a horse race. If you're really inspired (which is a gift) to work on your theory and improv - put the REC aside for awhile.
A compromise would be to learn one technique in the Petrucci lesson that you dig and focus on it within your improv practice.

*That's how I 'accomplish' learning, utilizing and finally incorporating a new technique or concept into my playing. I find one element ... and force it into everything I do for a few days or even weeks. I back off when I get it and it feels natural. When it feels like mine as opposed to the person I stole it from.

As technical as music 'can' be ... it's still an art. Inspiration in art (as well as science) is non-linear. Don't lose track of that.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 2 2016, 07:41 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 2 2016, 07:15 PM
Instructor
Fantastic words by klasaine.

However if you still feel that you need to work on that stuff that you are missing, these are different possible solutions that come to mind to solve your current situation/feeling Phil:

- Dedicate the first 10 minutes of your diary routine to that stuff that you think you should practice, and then go for the enjoyable improvisation section. Don't let the less enjoying part to the end.

- Instead of working on Petrucci's lesson to polish your technique, use the improvisation moment to do it too.

- Work on 1 topic each day.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 2 2016, 08:58 PM
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Apr 2 2016, 05:59 PM) *
I have to agree with Ken. But if you want to focus on 3 different things to practice. Rather than trying to split your practice session into 3 areas, why not dedicated each session to one of the 3 and alternate daily?

Thanks Rich,
I have thought about this but then I always think I should practice things daily to improve, otherwise I think that two days off is detrimental but then I suppose that getting stuck into one thing for ages is much much worse rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 2 2016, 06:04 PM) *
Yes, that makes sense ... from the standpoint that you have a personal 'goal' (the REC).
AK Rich's above advice is also excellent.
Music isn't a horse race. If you're really inspired (which is a gift) to work on your theory and improv - put the REC aside for awhile.
A compromise would be to learn one technique in the Petrucci lesson that you dig and focus on it within your improv practice.

*That's how I 'accomplish' learning, utilizing and finally incorporating a new technique or concept into my playing. I find one element ... and force it into everything I do for a few days or even weeks. I back off when I get it and it feels natural. When it feels like mine as opposed to the person I stole it from.

As technical as music 'can' be ... it's still an art. Inspiration in art (as well as science) is non-linear. Don't lose track of that.

Thanks Ken,

I come from a precision engineering background (www.omegapistons.com) and I think that is what hinders me, it hinders me in DIY at home, and if I get someone to do work, it's never good enough, I work to microns or tenths of a thou in imperial, they work to millimetres or 1/8 of an inch in imperial. I'm the same with my music, I always think it has to be strictly adhered to. I need to shake that off. It isn't something to be measured it's something to be enjoyed.

Cheers buddy.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 2 2016, 07:15 PM) *
Fantastic words by klasaine.

However if you still feel that you need to work on that stuff that you are missing, these are different possible solutions that come to mind to solve your current situation/feeling Phil:

- Dedicate the first 10 minutes of your diary routine to that stuff that you think you should practice, and then go for the enjoyable improvisation section. Don't let the less enjoying part to the end.

- Instead of working on Petrucci's lesson to polish your technique, use the improvisation moment to do it too.

- Work on 1 topic each day.

Thanks Gab,

I will have to try and do this.
A big part of it is that I feel that I am letting you down as an instructor. I have had teachers in the past, in many subjects saying "Why should I bother if you don't do what I tell you?". It's not that I am not doing what you tell me to do, ie, the Petrucci made easy lesson, I am just getting distracted by something else at the moment. This makes me feel that I am wasting your time as a tutor.

Thanks Gab smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Apr 2 2016, 09:55 PM
Learning Roadie
Don't feel like your wasting anyone's time, mate!

All the instructors and your fellow students just want you to keep growing and you certainly are - what more can anyone ask for? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 2 2016, 10:03 PM
Thanks Chris smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 4 2016, 03:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 2 2016, 04:58 PM) *
Thanks Gab,

I will have to try and do this.
A big part of it is that I feel that I am letting you down as an instructor. I have had teachers in the past, in many subjects saying "Why should I bother if you don't do what I tell you?". It's not that I am not doing what you tell me to do, ie, the Petrucci made easy lesson, I am just getting distracted by something else at the moment. This makes me feel that I am wasting your time as a tutor.

Thanks Gab smile.gif

My main goal is to see you progressing as musician and that's happening so I'm proud of you. I can show you the way I do it but it doesn't mean that it's the right way. You'll find the right way on your own. My mission is to help you to keep on track but even more important to keep you motivated.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Apr 4 2016, 03:51 PM
Learning Roadie
motivated

this is the word, and it's a real challenge to stay motivated everyday for learning guitar, it's a hard discipline !

an everyday job, progression is slow, sometime you get stucked, sometime you done giant jump !!

but it so amazing when your mentor notice your progress !! because for us, with honesty, it's difficult to appreciate it

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 4 2016, 04:28 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil. Ken said it very well already. If you find yourself spending time really going at something on the guitar AND enjoying it, then it's definitely not time wasted.

I'm sure you're concerned about the other tasks as they're part of your mentoring thread etc but I'm sure I'm not alone is saying that if I see a student improving, even if he's not necessarily practising all the stuff I've given him, then that makes my day. The fact you're improving AND enjoying what you're doing is what it's all about. So keep on at it!

When it comes to music, I personally believe that there is no "should". You'll find that people who want to do something generally do it and the stuff they don't want to do so much, they generally don't. The sum of that stuff that they do end up doing goes to form their sound.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 4 2016, 09:13 PM
Thanks Ben,
Thanks everyone smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 5 2016, 02:30 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
hey phil, how are you getting on with those minor pent box shapes? smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 5 2016, 02:41 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Apr 5 2016, 02:30 PM) *
hey phil, how are you getting on with those minor pent box shapes? smile.gif

eeeek, been distracted by arpeggios mate wacko.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:00 PM