2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Jobs Jobs Jobs
Ryan
Sep 11 2009, 10:40 PM
GMC:er
I need some hints, tips, or anything...
I have been out of a job for about a year now... First 6-9 months doing the self-employment/under the table jobs.. After that things died down.. Been looking for any kind of job lately, but I have had no luck. Can't even get an interview out of the TONS of apps I put in. It's really rough, only being 20. Slim to moderate experience with misc. things....
Anybody got any ideas, or can offer some advice to me for find a job?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Sep 11 2009, 10:55 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ryan @ Sep 11 2009, 05:40 PM) *
I need some hints, tips, or anything...
I have been out of a job for about a year now... First 6-9 months doing the self-employment/under the table jobs.. After that things died down.. Been looking for any kind of job lately, but I have had no luck. Can't even get an interview out of the TONS of apps I put in. It's really rough, only being 20. Slim to moderate experience with misc. things....
Anybody got any ideas, or can offer some advice to me for find a job?

Things are definitely tuff for anyone looking for a job here in the states. I'm not sure what type of work your looking for but here is a thought. You may have to take a job in the service area like waiting tables in a restaurant or working in a retail store for now. Might not be your dream job but at least you can make some money while your trying to find another. It's easier to find another job when you already have one.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Ryan
Sep 11 2009, 10:56 PM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Sep 11 2009, 04:55 PM) *
Things are definitely tuff for anyone looking for a job here in the states. I'm not sure what type of work your looking for but here is a thought. You may have to take a job in the service area like waiting tables in a restaurant or working in a retail store for now. Might not be your dream job but at least you can make some money while your trying to find another. It's easier to find another job when you already have one.

Ahh, see Ive been told that before. And it is very much true. See though, Ive tried to get jobs like walmart.. Papa Murphy's pizza. People just hate me or something. Anything would be awesome as of right now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Sep 11 2009, 11:02 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I seriously doubt everyone hates you bro!

You just need to be more confident in yourself maybe, look them in the eyes and tell them your a hard worker and will do a great job. smile.gif

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
TwistedSun
Sep 11 2009, 11:24 PM
Perhaps your resume ain't up to snuff. Maybe you should rewrite it or get an expert to do it.

--------------------
Starting Gear: Epiphone Limited 50th Anniversary SG, Line 6 Spider II 75watt combo amp.
New Gear: Schecter Hellraiser C1 FR, Engl Powerball 100w, Engl Pro 4x12, Z-5 Footswitch

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Sep 12 2009, 12:21 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (TwistedSun @ Sep 11 2009, 06:24 PM) *
Perhaps your resume ain't up to snuff. Maybe you should rewrite it or get an expert to do it.

He is only 20. There probably isn't much to put on a resume, which is part of the problem. But it can't hurt to try and tidy it up some. Good thought!

This post has been edited by UncleSkillet: Sep 12 2009, 12:22 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ryan
Sep 12 2009, 12:22 AM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Sep 11 2009, 06:21 PM) *
He is only 20 there probably isn't much to put on a resume, which is probably part of the problem. But it can't hurt to try and tidy it up some. Good thought!

There there isn't really much to put on there... Plus most places were I live do not require a resume, and just do online applications and such...

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Sep 12 2009, 12:23 AM
Learning Roadie
I'm 19 and I'm in the saaame situation. Been looking for a job since before summer. I have a decent car, so I've especially been trying to get a delivery job, that's where its at. But no luck.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Sep 12 2009, 12:49 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
The economy is TOUGH right now. People who thought they could retire by now or are retired already are having to work or go back to work because they watched their retirement accounts evaporate over the last year or so. People are losing their jobs left and right and all this adds up to a high demand for jobs and a low supply of jobs. Unfortunately it seems that your age group is going to feel the brunt of this economic fiasco for a long time. Good luck though.....I hope you find something..... smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 12 2009, 02:32 AM
Instructor
If you know your music production try Minimal Noise Music marketplace. It may not be a long term solution, but it could work, why not trying it.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kahall
Sep 12 2009, 02:49 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ryan @ Sep 11 2009, 06:22 PM) *
There there isn't really much to put on there... Plus most places were I live do not require a resume, and just do online applications and such...

Applying online hardly ever works. I do know someone who was hired that way but it is rare. Prom season is coming up, maybe get a part time job helping out a florist or some place that rents tuxedos. I mean if there are high schools nearby. That is the business I am in and we just hired a young man today for proms.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
enforcer
Sep 12 2009, 04:33 AM
Man, we had that problem for all times here in Turkey, but it seems that its getting a lot harder to live in USA too over time... I hope it wont be 1928 all over again... Hope everything gets well, I hate when people are deprived of even trying to make a living! sad.gif

--------------------

incoming spoiler read it at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
American Stratocaster Maple Standart with X2N bridge pickups
Samwick Artist custom modified Baswood Lespaul with S.Duncan JB and N56 pickups
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups
Floor Pod 2.0 Amp Simulation System
Pod Xt Pro Rack Amp Simulation System
Digitech TSR 12 Rack Effect and Studio Reverb
Behringer Composer Rack Compressor Expander
Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
Behringer FB1010 Floor Board

it, surely, spoiled me!!!

and may the force be with you :)

+Quote Post
superize
Sep 12 2009, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I know what you mean i have been without a job since graduating from school..... I have only worked as a substitute a week here and a week there......

But you hang in there

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
VinceG
Sep 12 2009, 10:30 AM
Something that my family strived on for years. Apply for big Hospitals or Nursing homes. They are always hiring, and you get to make decent bucks. Hell if you study for a 4 month class about Phlebotomy, you can get a job full time in the hospital, and all you do is draw blood from patients. There are a lot of jobs in the Medicine profession, but the only thing you really need are manners, people skills, and A LOT OF PATIENCE.

This post has been edited by VinceG: Sep 12 2009, 10:31 AM

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
Canis
Sep 12 2009, 11:47 AM
Learning Rock Star
I feel you.. You've been looking a lot longer then me, though ohmy.gif

I've been running around looking for jobs too. That's the reason I'm not as active as usual these days. I've applied to everything from every supermart in the area, to music stores and gas stations. So far I've only been called into four job interviews, three of which I got declined the job, and I'm still waiting for the last place to call.

Apparently not easy times, but hang in there! I will ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 12 2009, 11:54 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
FWIW I've spent quite a few years shortlisting and interviewing people for jobs.

For those with no paid work experience: it can really help if you do voluntary work as this helps demonstrate
a clear work ethic, commitment and social responsibility. Plus it may provide you with demonstrable skills.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Sep 16 2009, 04:47 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 12 2009, 05:54 AM) *
FWIW I've spent quite a few years shortlisting and interviewing people for jobs.

For those with no paid work experience: it can really help if you do voluntary work as this helps demonstrate
a clear work ethic, commitment and social responsibility. Plus it may provide you with demonstrable skills.

See, I have heard that too. But see since this is a small city/large town. There isn't much to go around. I actually got some really good advice the other day from my dad. He said the best, and easiest way to get a job. Is it just know people. I thought about it, and I realized. Every job I have gotten. Was because I knew somebody. He told me to go out and mingle more. I have a little bit at the town fair.
I now may have a roofing job coming here shortly that can bring a little cash in, and I actually may be able to take a cooking position at a bar. My sister is dating the head chef. He is a complete metal head! He is awesome, so it seems to me. It really pays off to know somebody. So that's the advice I wanted to give out to other jobless people like me. Get to know somebody... It really helps!

I really appreciate the comments, advice, and the help you guys are giving me. Thank you!

This post has been edited by Ryan: Sep 16 2009, 04:48 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 16 2009, 11:13 AM
QUOTE (VinceG @ Sep 12 2009, 10:30 AM) *
and A LOT OF PATIENCE.

Vince, as a Phlebotomist I'm presuming he'd need a lot of PATIENTS TOO!!!!
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Seriously though, it's not just in the States that this is happening. In England we've just hit the highest number of Unemployed in 14 years!
From a news report on the subject:-
The recession's impact on young people was also underlined by jobless totals among 16-24-year-olds reaching 947,000 - the highest level since ONS records began in 1992.

Hope something turns up for you soon! I know how you're feeling, as a Self-employed person I've had a ridiculously small amount of work this year and have been struggling to find work for myself!!!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
purple hayes
Sep 16 2009, 04:00 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
How's you haircut?

I grew up in rural KS, too (albeit 20 years earlier) and I know I got turned down for a job or two for having a sweet 80's mullet.

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>

+Quote Post
JVM
Sep 16 2009, 04:29 PM
Learning Roadie
Been continuing to apply to places, but no one's getting back to me. However, there is an internship open at a local record label, unpaid but it might be an interesting opportunity. However they're doing interviews this friday and the guy hasn't gotten back to me yet about when he would like me to come in. Also it's a 30 minute or so drive but they say the scheduling is very flexible, so maybe I can work more hours less often to compensate.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:27 AM