4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Jim S. Bootcamp, The Few, The Proud, Those Who Survive Bootcamp!
Todd Simpson
Jul 5 2015, 09:06 PM
GMC:er
Welcome to SHRED BOOTCAMP! I'll be your Drill Instructor! And I do mean DRILL! As in a large power tool used in slasher films and Paul Gilbert concerts. Here is were you EARN THE LIVING DEATH out of your fingers and break through any speed bumps/barriers to become a MASTER CHIEF of Shred!

MISSON #1

THE MISSION

1.)Your mission is to go all the way back to the very start. The base of the mountain.

LESSON 1. http://bitly.com/gmclesson1

Which you will play SLOWWWWWWLLY, very SLOWWWLLLLYYYY until you master it at a crawl (As You'll Do With Each Mission, and focus on left hand FORM! Make it SUPER PERFECT!). Speed it up bit by bit until you feel your ready to take it to WAR (Any speed, it's up to you) Shoot a video and post it as a reply to this post. I'll then offer a constructive and brutally honest critique.

THE AFTERMATH

Upon nailing the crap out of lesson one at a speed you didn't think possible, and playing it a clean as a freshly waxed floor, you will be given your first insignia of Rank in BOOTCAMP and will proceed to LESSON/MISSION #2. You will continue this process until you are a walking, talking, BadA** Guitar God among men!!!!

Here is the link to your OWN PRIVATE BATTLEFIELD!!!

http://bitly.com/jimsbootcamp

Practice!
Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 5 2015, 09:07 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Jul 6 2015, 09:43 PM
Learning Rock Star
Dude thanks! I'll get started right away and post the results. Thanks for having me n' at

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Jul 8 2015, 01:09 PM
Learning Rock Star
So I spent an hour or two with the metronome and found a couple problems. The first is my grip changes with tempo. The faster I go the closer and tighter my hand gets. The second is changing strings, esp going from high to low. I wanted to shoot a video but couldn't at that moment.

In between 10 min bursts of practice id practice picking with a more musical context and then turn up the tempo a bit and head back to boot camp....

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Jul 9 2015, 03:24 AM
Learning Rock Star
https://soundcloud.com/jim-seekford-music/bootcamp-day-1-alt-pick-metronome-80-200

Ok Todd so as you can hear about halfway through I switch my picking technique and go full arm... Here is a pic of the metronome setting I made in logic. Its pretty sweet.

This post has been edited by Jim S.: Jul 9 2015, 03:25 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 9 2015, 08:18 AM
You are on your way soldier!!

First off, it's very normal for your body to "tense up" when you start playing fast. This is one of the first things that I want you to work on. If you don't get a handle on this early, you can spend the rest of your life "picking from the elbow" which Is fine for some people, but it honestly limits what you can play at speed simply due to the stiff arm" approach.

I really understand you want to push the speed quickly which is also natural to want to do smile.gif But it's the journey of of playing through the middle that is going to get you where you want to go. As they say "True skill is effortless" or at least looks effortless because it's the result of 10,000 hours of work.

For this first mission you are doing quite well wink.gif I can hear that you are playing with consistency and keeping a good grip on the pick.

However, the most important part of boocamp is the "MISSION VIDEOS" where you shoot a video (in any way possible including cell phone, audio quality doesn't matter) so that I can actually see your body and hand position in order to properly guide you towards your goals. We can get some progress just with audio but since I can't see what you are doing I can't critique your form and thus can't really help you as much as I'd like to. sad.gif But let me try to help here, while blind.

1)Good pacing - nice and even
2.)Good pick grip - Your tone is consistent indicating the pick isn't slipping out of your hand
3.)CLean strikes - you have intent on each strike, none are half done.
4.)Good timing - you are picking with the beat

So here is your next MISSION SOLDIER!!

1.)Stay relaxed
*Play the mission without worrying about the metronome just speed up while staying relaxed focus on a zen state and pick from the fingers and wrist. once you get this down, add the metronome back in.
2.)Make a video
*Web cam, cell phone, ipad, kindle, anything. Doesn't matter. Just as long as the guitar is there and I can see your PICKING HAND and hear the metronome.

FIGHT ON!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Jul 8 2015, 10:24 PM) *
https://soundcloud.com/jim-seekford-music/bootcamp-day-1-alt-pick-metronome-80-200

Ok Todd so as you can hear about halfway through I switch my picking technique and go full arm... Here is a pic of the metronome setting I made in logic. Its pretty sweet.

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Jul 11 2015, 06:15 AM
Learning Rock Star
here Ye the video of Me practice... Argh in a pirates voice...

This post has been edited by Jim S.: Jul 11 2015, 02:44 PM

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Jul 11 2015, 02:43 PM
Learning Rock Star

Here's a lick that has some picking and legato. How's the posture seem?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 11 2015, 06:10 PM
First up, YOUR DEBRIEF!!

WELL FOUGHT SOLDIER!! The quality is fine Even better, WELL PLAYED!!!!! Let's debrief!!

You have very good technique here soldier, and I think you are gonna RIP Through these! Go ahead and do each one with Single picking and double picking. If possible, do a pass of triple picking (bonus points) and quad picking (speed points) on the next missions as you are certainly capable of it!

MEDAL OF HONOR

1.)Good hand synch
2.)Playing with the beat
3.)Good palm mute

Best of all you used your FINGERS to control your picking and DIDN"T PICK FROM THE ELBOW!!!! CONGRATS SOLDIER!!!

In short, you just ...

LEVELED UP!!!!!!
Attached Image

On to your picking vid!
I like it! Your upstroke econ sweep is very nice and you have good control over your pick and your muting. You are using your pinky to "bridge" a bit but that's fine smile.gif It's not "perfect" technique but I do it myself sometimes when I've been playing a while. it's a natural response as the hand starts to tire a bit.

Your technique is coming along nicely! I'd say jump on your next mission and use what you've learned/gain so far. If you push yourself you could be all the way through the missions in no time! Each one builds on the last so you will gain new skills as you go on each one.

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Jul 11 2015, 09:43 AM) *

Here's a lick that has some picking and legato. How's the posture seem?

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 11 2015, 06:21 PM

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Jul 11 2015, 08:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 11 2015, 01:10 PM) *
First up, YOUR DEBRIEF!!

WELL FOUGHT SOLDIER!! The quality is fine Even better, WELL PLAYED!!!!! Let's debrief!!

You have very good technique here soldier, and I think you are gonna RIP Through these! Go ahead and do each one with Single picking and double picking. If possible, do a pass of triple picking (bonus points) and quad picking (speed points) on the next missions as you are certainly capable of it!

MEDAL OF HONOR

1.)Good hand synch
2.)Playing with the beat
3.)Good palm mute

Best of all you used your FINGERS to control your picking and DIDN"T PICK FROM THE ELBOW!!!! CONGRATS SOLDIER!!!

In short, you just ...

LEVELED UP!!!!!!
Attached Image

On to your picking vid!
I like it! Your upstroke econ sweep is very nice and you have good control over your pick and your muting. You are using your pinky to "bridge" a bit but that's fine smile.gif It's not "perfect" technique but I do it myself sometimes when I've been playing a while. it's a natural response as the hand starts to tire a bit.

Your technique is coming along nicely! I'd say jump on your next mission and use what you've learned/gain so far. If you push yourself you could be all the way through the missions in no time! Each one builds on the last so you will gain new skills as you go on each one.

That's great to hear man! Thanks!

Where is mission 2? I'll start right away. I'm having fun playing with the metronome and pushing myself.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 11 2015, 09:05 PM
I hope to see you in Vid chat today if possible. I think attending the chats would really help.

You can do the mission after!

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Jul 11 2015, 03:52 PM) *
That's great to hear man! Thanks!

Where is mission 2? I'll start right away. I'm having fun playing with the metronome and pushing myself.

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Jul 11 2015, 09:45 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 11 2015, 04:05 PM) *
I hope to see you in Vid chat today if possible. I think attending the chats would really help.

You can do the mission after!

I wish I could but I have 2 kids to watch and it is a bad time for guitar...

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Jul 11 2015, 10:38 PM
Learning Rock Star
I did a little searching and found all the lessons! Thanks

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 11 2015, 11:16 PM
Here is the link to all the missions smile.gif

http://bit.ly/twtgmc

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Jul 11 2015, 05:38 PM) *
I did a little searching and found all the lessons! Thanks

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Jul 14 2015, 03:01 AM
Learning Rock Star

Ok Todd! I believe these are lessons 2-3. I found something exciting tonight.... I tightened my grips bit and held the pick closer and it gave me some serious gains. I swear it gave me 40bpm straight alt picking of course. My problem I feel is getting used to this but it does seem to accommodate for some hybrid action. Either way I'm sold.... Your lessons are great!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 14 2015, 05:33 AM
WELL FOUGHT SOLDIER!!!!! Let's DEBRIEF!!!

Soldier, let me say you are just CRUSHING IT!!! You have made some great progress here so far!!! And your just getting started!! Choking up on the pick (getting your thumb/finger closer to the tip) is a great way to increase precision!! I notice that you are doing very proper picking from the wrist and I'd like to challenge you to try to use more picking front the fingers. Think of it as picking from the tip of your fingers back, instead of thinking of it as using force from the wrist forward. I hope that makes some kind of sense!!

MEDAL OF HONOR
1.)Very clean strikes
2.)Very solid timing
3.)Firm plant on the bridge and no string noise

Very rarely do I "Badge Up" a Soldier two ranks in single go but you've EARNED IT!!!!!! Welcome to LEVEL 3!!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Jul 13 2015, 10:01 PM) *

Ok Todd! I believe these are lessons 2-3. I found something exciting tonight.... I tightened my grips bit and held the pick closer and it gave me some serious gains. I swear it gave me 40bpm straight alt picking of course. My problem I feel is getting used to this but it does seem to accommodate for some hybrid action. Either way I'm sold.... Your lessons are great!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 14 2015, 05:33 AM

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Jul 17 2015, 04:00 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Sarge! Mission 4 has pulled out some insecurities in my hand sync. It seems my picking hand has the pps (potential picking speed) that's a Batio quote haha, needed but my left hand is a bit flimsy and throws off my balance. I'm not sure if I'm burned out a bit from practice but I may need some more time here. Thanks for the lesson and support!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 17 2015, 06:51 AM
You've NAILED the lick Soldier and your TEHCNIQUE is PERFECT!!!!! I can hear you fighting the metronome a bit and I think it's because the way the metronome is set. Try setting your metronome to make just one type of sound. Just clicks or just pops. Just snare or just kick drum. IT's the back and forth that seems to be pulling you out of the rythm. Also maybe increase the metronome way up to where there is a click for each and every pick strike. IT will help you synch the strikes to the beat. This is NOT an easy mission Soldier and you are one KILL from NAILING IT!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Jul 16 2015, 11:00 PM) *
Hey Sarge! Mission 4 has pulled out some insecurities in my hand sync. It seems my picking hand has the pps (potential picking speed) that's a Batio quote haha, needed but my left hand is a bit flimsy and throws off my balance. I'm not sure if I'm burned out a bit from practice but I may need some more time here. Thanks for the lesson and support!

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Jul 19 2015, 03:07 AM
Learning Rock Star
Ok Sarge, I got two gems for ya. The first is the picking level 4. My hands are getting a bit wore out so I took this video in timed bursts and I found that I can pick much much much faster in bursts. I'm starting to get a sense of my picking grip too. There is a grip so perfect that it changes my hand position and relaxes it. Sometimes I can't find just that grip but I know it's there.

The second is just a legato lick I came up with after practicing. I'm getting more confident as I pick and I'm realizing most of my picking problems come from my inability to change positions with my fretting hand. For a second my brain can't process it because I never worked on my weaknesses. Thanks so much this has been so helpful!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 21 2015, 12:38 AM
Very fine work Soldier!!! The "grip" you are talking about is probably related to your best picking work. Try to pick from the thumb and forefinger as much as possible, only using the wrist to pick up the slack when the fingers wont move fast enough. You are doing a great job of not picking from the elbow and your palm mute is nice and planted.

Try (this is hard) to see if you can change your grip a bit. First I notice you are playing "side saddle". This is fine, but for the sake of our Missions, I'd encourage you to try to sit "classical style' With your guitar between your legs. This is very odd for folks that are used to playing side saddle. However, it's well worth it. It changes the angle of your entire hand/grip to make it more similar to playing standing up and gives you much more range and control.

Also, I'm having a hard time connecting your strikes to the metronome. I may have mentioned this before but let me mention it again. Try setting your metronome (if your using guitar rig just set sig to none) to one type of sound. Not pop pop click, just pop pop pop. This type of lick makes playing with the time sig you are using very hard to track. If you have questions on setting this up let me know and we will figure it out.

Try to set your metronome to 400 BPM and make a pick strike each time you hear a metronome click. That way you know you are striking right on the beat. The goal is to synch your strikes to the clicks as tightly as possible.

Take these tips to heart and see what you can do with them. Please feel free to ask questions!! You are making great progress and I like the lick you came up with on your own which is the whole point of all of this smile.gif To provide the technical underpinnings you need to express yourself with your Guitar smile.gif

Sarge

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Jul 18 2015, 10:07 PM) *
Ok Sarge, I got two gems for ya. The first is the picking level 4. My hands are getting a bit wore out so I took this video in timed bursts and I found that I can pick much much much faster in bursts. I'm starting to get a sense of my picking grip too. There is a grip so perfect that it changes my hand position and relaxes it. Sometimes I can't find just that grip but I know it's there.

The second is just a legato lick I came up with after practicing. I'm getting more confident as I pick and I'm realizing most of my picking problems come from my inability to change positions with my fretting hand. For a second my brain can't process it because I never worked on my weaknesses. Thanks so much this has been so helpful!

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Jul 21 2015, 03:08 AM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks Todd! Yes this is difficult. I am having an issue with my metronome, it is set at 400-530bpm and it can only click bars. If I click the box to sound on beats it Adds that accent. I can't change the sound of that either. Either way here is another vid.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:38 PM