Chord/scale help
Robin
Feb 21 2007, 10:34 PM
GMC:er
I made a similar topic some days ago, but now I want suggestions for chords and scales thats good for making sad/beautyfull songs, I want to make some nice songs with a acoustic guitar laugh.gif

thanks smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Robin: Feb 21 2007, 10:34 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
Steelkonsum
Feb 21 2007, 10:42 PM
QUOTE (Robin @ Feb 21 2007, 10:34 PM) *
I made a similar topic some days ago, but now I want suggestions for chords and scales thats good for making sad/beautyfull songs, I want to make some nice songs with a acoustic guitar laugh.gif

thanks smile.gif

Basically all major scales and major chords sounds more or less happy. But it's more than the chord, it's how you play it as well.

If you silently "sweep" a chord slowly.. like pick all notes in one strum you can make any chord sound sad. But if you strum it some funky rythm it'll sound happy go fish.

The tone is in the technique.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 21 2007, 11:00 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Steelkonsum @ Feb 21 2007, 04:42 PM) *
Basically all major scales and major chords sounds more or less happy. But it's more than the chord, it's how you play it as well.

If you silently "sweep" a chord slowly.. like pick all notes in one strum you can make any chord sound sad. But if you strum it some funky rythm it'll sound happy go fish.

The tone is in the technique.

I always find Minor and Maj 7th chords to be sad without being sombre - a progression that goes something like

Dm7 - Cmaj7 might make a good start - Cmaj7 sounds really good on acoustic if you play the full version like this:

1||-|-|-|-|
2||-|-|-|-|
3||-|-|-|-|
4||-|o|-|-|
5||-|-|o|-|
6||-|-|o|-|

and also throw in an Fmaj7:

1||-|-|-|-|
2||o|-|-|-|
3||-|o|-|-|
4||-|-|o|-|
5||-|-|o|-|
6||o|-|-|-|

Combine that with some slow sweeps and you have a start ...

Hope that helps!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Robin
Feb 21 2007, 11:25 PM
GMC:er
ok thanks smile.gif

tried some of that, perfect, thanks again laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Robin: Feb 22 2007, 12:17 AM

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 22 2007, 12:18 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Feb 21 2007, 11:00 PM) *
and also throw in an Fmaj7:

1||-|-|-|-|
2||o|-|-|-|
3||-|o|-|-|
4||-|-|o|-|
5||-|-|o|-|
6||o|-|-|-|

I think there is a mistake here - the Fmaj7 should be like this:

1||-|-|-|-|
2||o|-|-|-|
3||-|o|-|-|
4||-|o|-|-|
5||-|-|o|-|
6||o|-|-|-|

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 22 2007, 12:28 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Feb 21 2007, 06:18 PM) *
I think there is a mistake here - the Fmaj7 should be like this:

1||-|-|-|-|
2||o|-|-|-|
3||-|o|-|-|
4||-|o|-|-|
5||-|-|o|-|
6||o|-|-|-|

I think either is a valid Fmaj7 - since you already have the E represented on the 1st string - your version removes an F and adds an E - I always play it the 1st way, but your way is just as good smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 22 2007, 12:53 AM
Instructor
Well if you don't go to high E string than you have to play it like that and i like to play it with E on 4th string to emphasise the chord! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 22 2007, 01:39 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Feb 21 2007, 06:53 PM) *
Well if you don't go to high E string than you have to play it like that and i like to play it with E on 4th string to emphasise the chord! smile.gif

Very true - I only use that shape for an open Fmaj7 - now I think about it, when I move the chord up the neck I do it your way!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 06:26 AM