Epiphone And Gibson, What's the connection
Ayen
Oct 8 2007, 11:49 AM
GMC:er
I've seen Epiphone, and Gibson guitars, and then that there's some connection between them. Did some company called Epiphone buy out Gibson, did Gibson make a new series of guitars called Epiphones? Can someone shed some light on this?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ayen: Oct 8 2007, 11:50 AM

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
ace_frehely
Oct 8 2007, 11:52 AM
QUOTE (Ayen @ Oct 8 2007, 11:49 AM) *
I've seen Epiphone, and Gibson guitars, and then that there's some connection between them. Did some company called Epiphone buy out Gibson, did Gibson make a new series of guitars called Epiphones? Can someone shed some light on this?

do you know what b-stock means..

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/guitar4ace.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">guitar4ace.</iframe><iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/major%20nelson.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">guitar4ace.</iframe

+Quote Post
Ayen
Oct 8 2007, 11:54 AM
Actually, no. Can you explain?

A noob-ish question I know, but I figured what site would know better than GMC?

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
RobM
Oct 8 2007, 12:18 PM
QUOTE (Ayen @ Oct 8 2007, 06:49 AM) *

Gibson owns Epiphone, after a long battle between them and then WWII came along and Leukemia killed the original "Epi(phone)" creator, in 1957 Gibon bought out Epiphone originally because Gibson didn't have a bass business after the war.

An Epiphone LP is an interpretation of a Gibson(some models are actually Epiphone originals). The entire history of the company can be found on the internet under a search for Epiphone.

Edit: typos

This post has been edited by RobM: Oct 8 2007, 12:21 PM

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Oct 8 2007, 01:50 PM
Well i can tell you Gibson was originally made in Kallamazoo and now they have a shop in Nashville TN.i know alot of Epi's are made over sea's if not all of them are so thats a big difference.

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
RobM
Oct 8 2007, 02:15 PM
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Oct 8 2007, 08:50 AM) *
Well i can tell you Gibson was originally made in Kallamazoo and now they have a shop in Nashville TN.i know alot of Epi's are made over sea's if not all of them are so thats a big difference.

They are made in Korea but Epiphone brings in American master luthiers. They lured away one of the head lutiers from Gibson. Epiphone uses the same knowledge, materials and manufactoring process as Gibson. Of course from looking at them, the finishes on the Gibson seem to be a lot better, most likely Gibson uses more layers of paint and/or stain and clearcoat on their guitars. Probably finer sanding on the wood to.

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Oct 8 2007, 02:31 PM
Its also the same type of thing with Fender, and Squier.
All the Epi's are kind of just ripoffs of the real gibsons but for the price still have a an amazing quality.
Squiers on the other hand, Eh.

This post has been edited by Eat-Sleep-andJam: Oct 8 2007, 02:32 PM

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Oct 8 2007, 02:54 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Oct 8 2007, 02:31 PM) *
Its also the same type of thing with Fender, and Squier.
All the Epi's are kind of just ripoffs of the real gibsons but for the price still have a an amazing quality.
Squiers on the other hand, Eh.

Yeah at least with Epiphones your generally getting a really great guitar - not so with squier sad.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
javari
Oct 8 2007, 03:49 PM
I own a Epiphone les Paul Ultra and I think it's great.

The quality and finish is amazing for the price. Better than the cheaper Gibsons, obviously not as good as the more expensive Gibson Les Pauls (which are about 4 times the price of the Epi...)
Comparable to my Fender US Strat which was about twice as expensive. The finish on the neck of the Strat is a little smoother though.

The Epi Les Paul Ultra was the first Les Paul with some hollow cavities in the body, to reduce weight and to improve the sound.
If I'm not mistaken, the newer Gibson models have the same, so there still seems to be a strong connection.

--------------------
Guitars: Fender US standard Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Amps: Fender Princeton Recording Amp, H&K Statesman Dual EL84
Effects: Pod XT, Keeley TS808, Keeley DS-1, RAT

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:01 AM