Lick Of The Day : Instructor Feedback
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 7 2008, 08:29 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Muris and Ivan have both kindly agreed to provide feedback to the entrants of the lick of the day contest (thanks guys!). Ivan took the video entries, and Muris took the audio entries. This was originally Jakub's idea smile.gif

What they have to say is beloiw smile.gif

Video - Ivan

First let me point out that I've heard a lot of diverse styles here and really like very lick! I will mostly try to comment the quality of your playing, video, and audio.

Xranthoius

You riff is great man, very nice idea, simple but effective groovy chunky riff. Your execution of the riff was great, in the end I think you hurried up a little - it would be better if you had a metronome running while playing to keep the groove nice and tight. With these kind of riffs that is very important.

Video quality was not too great, the colors were washed out and a very dark image, but nice idea for the background screen.

Audio is sorry to say it - not good. No bass, just some himids, and highs, and it really sounds bad. Next time you must work on your preset more and think about your playing and recording before you do it. For example if you are recording some chunky riffing stuff like here you MUST have a good bass and a tight defined distortion preset in order to sound good. Try rolling off the drive a little to get that, and work on your EQ.

coffeeman

Hey man, this arpeggio lick I really like, very interesting sounding, but I suggest maybe some faster execution. If you choose one lick for a competition, then your idea in your imagination should sound just like you play it. Well, maybe you did wanted to sound like this and that is OK - it sounds nice this way, but I would like a little faster and tighter execution - it would be a killer lick then for sure! Also teh vibrato in the end is too weak,, my suggestion is - better leave it off or maybe do a slide down, this way the last note that needs to be very effective came out weak because of the weak vibrato.

Well, considering the one light you've had you managed to get just the right angle in order to show the whole lick's execution right - the right and the left hand. I will not comment the big shadows behind the right hand and everywhere else, because they are not significant for the lick.

Audio was not too bad. Nice amount of drive, but a little too much space for me. THe delay feedback shouldn't be so long imo, maybe 2-3 repeats TOP with some reverb, so the rest of the notes can come out clearly.

Smells

Your lick was great Smells, nice execution too! Although, I like how you played the last lick the best. You played it most correctly of the three faster ones. The lick is pretty effective tapping little run.

VIdeo was nice, colors little washed out and recorded in a wide format - why? I would really love to see those missing part of the screen, mainly because of the right hand, you just made it so we can see everything nicely. I'm not saying that the angle is bad I love the close up and it is a great idea, but maybe slightly wider angle would do it perfect for me.

Audio is great, I like the drive and the space, echo tape delay touch is really nice sounding and subtle, it really adds to the sound nicely. The tone can be a little better tho, it was the best on the last execution imo.

Tai Vez

Hey that a nice mini solo - lick there man, very interesting idea indeed. Execution was not so great, you really made it hard for yourself - it is not a easy one, but if you wanted it you got it - and you must execute it nicely and practice it a little. Slightly off the beat, unprecise with those octaves when transfering from them to the next lick, those pulloffs with tapping must be more precise, and the bend in the end too. I'm not trying to put down your playing or anything just pointing out the spots that you already know that needs some refinement of this great lick that's all.

Your video is great man, daylight can do miracles, maybe even too exposed, but clearly visible. Nice.

Audio is great too, little muddy tho, preset is nice, maybe some highs roll off would be nice, sometimes I hear some unwanted sqeals in there when tapping. Also there is some reverberation from the room I think that makes the sound muddy.

wrk

Lick Number.1

Well the lick is great, the idea of it. I really like the run and the bending in the end. The execution was a litel sloppy, must do those picks tightly and mute the other strings. When doing bend other strings must not be heard. Lick is great tho.

Lick number 2.

And one nice pentatonic blues lick - I like it. Very classic one! The vibrato in the end was very nice too!

Video is great, nice light, nice colours, maybe little blurred, but all in all, the execution of the lick can be seen very nicely.

Audio is great too, I like the stereo delay, and the drive is great too, maybe some reverberations from the room was involved.

Robin

Wow, that was very nice and original! It's a blues in it's raw form. The fact you did acoustics and use slide is a brave and very effective idea. The execution was not flawless, and you know it, must work on those fingerpicking, and slide was maybe slightly off in the end, but all in all very nice, and I think it can pass, because it sounds so raw and freely.

Video is great, the angle is perfect and the lightning is cool too, but the resolution is too small. If it were sharper, then it would be a perfect shot indeed!

Audio is nice, considering you miced the whole thing, I can hear a littls mic noise in the background. You can actually remove that noise with a EQ or some plugin in order to get more defined sound.

fire

Interesting lick there, a little classic rocksih pentatonic lick. I would definitely recommend more practicing of combinations in pentatonics, but this idea I really like tho. Bendings need to be more defined, but other that that you played nicely.

Video is ..interesting, you really did a sharp closeup that's for sure. I can see that you really wanted to show nicely waht you play with your left hand, but the right hand is also very important so that part must be covered to. The lightning is decent.

Audio is nice, but the backing is little muddy. I can hear it properly. Also, too little bass and high mids in there, but that's a matter of preference too.

Audio - Muris

Superize

That was a mean metal riff. biggrin.gif
I like the idea,timing is fine,palm muting as well.
Tone isn't greatest tho(synthetic) but it doesn't have anything to do
with the lick or your execution.
I guess you have to upgrade your gear I bit,that's all.
Power take all in all.

Axelsson

Nice playing in this one but I miss a stamp or personality of the lick.
Next time focus yourself more on sounding of lick and not only on execution.
Good effort tho.

Sam Hook

Acoustic lick,I like the thinking.
I'd play it with less attack to get more flow and soul from it.
Among that,fine take.

DeepRoots 1

Nice lick done by alternate picking and few slides,thumbs up.
There's some noise so grab a NR or som,no further comments.

DeepRoots 2

Great beginning of the lick.
I miss some rhythmic accuracy in tapping part but it could be on purpose,dunno.
Same as in first take,noise issue,playing was very fine.

Jakub Luptovec 1

Pretty interesting Scotland-sounding take I must say.
But sound/EQ ruined it a lot imho,too bassy and moody,clipping as well.
You need better recording gear,keep up the playing.

Tjchep

I like vibrato here,very smooth and powerful at the same time.
Too short to comment it more,nice playing indeed.

Jakub Luptovec 2

Playing wasn't bad at all but gain/drive was too high
and you must be careful when moving through positions,
to avoid that "DJ" kind a effects,scratches.
Set gain lower,it'll sound a lot cleaner and nicer.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Mar 7 2008, 08:37 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks for the comments Ivan , I didn't play it faster because I couldn't play it faster, that is the faster I could, but I thought it would be a nice lick played at an instructors speed.

Thanks a lot for the comments really, I really apreciate them , and Im very happy that an instructor in this case you , liked my lick.

Thank again.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
Robin
Mar 7 2008, 08:44 PM
GMC:er
Nice work you guys. Thanks for the comments. I know it wasnt perfect, several mistakes biggrin.gif But im always working on improving biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Mar 7 2008, 08:47 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Thanks for the time you took to do these comments Ivan, really appreciate it, thanks for your comments and the points have been noted for future, I totally agree with your point on a further away shot to get more in, something I must think about with camera positioning, excellent thank you smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Mar 7 2008, 09:16 PM
Cool thanks for the comments.

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
superize
Mar 8 2008, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Thanks for the comment..... i think that i might have to get new strings for my guitar because i havent changed them since i got the guitar and maybe i sholud have used another tone in gearbox to get a better sound....But thanks again for the nice comment on my playig

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Mar 8 2008, 11:32 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Looks like i missed this one- thanks for the feedback Muris i'll get working on it. Thanks to the both of your for going through all the licks for us biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
wrk
Mar 9 2008, 03:25 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thank you Ivan ... i really appreciate your comments.
It's great to have feedback from you guys ...

+Quote Post
axelsson
Mar 9 2008, 08:23 PM
thnx for the feedback Muris, I will keep your words in mind from now on

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 9 2008, 08:30 PM
Instructor
You're welcome guys. smile.gif

Licks were really short to comment it more but you're doing an awesome work,
keep us proud as always! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Xranthoius
Mar 9 2008, 10:45 PM
Thanks, cool idea wink.gif

Yeah I know I had bad video quality a lot from the lighting. It was dark outside and one lightbulb in the room. biggrin.gif I also had to put headphones on the camera because everybody was sleeping so that probobly didn't help the audio. smile.gif

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 13 2008, 11:15 AM
Instructor
Any time guys, it was my plesaure to comment your playing, and I hope I didn't go to far. My only intention is to give some constructive feedback for the future recordings. Cheers guys smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Mar 13 2008, 01:13 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Mar 13 2008, 10:15 AM) *
and I hope I didn't go to far.

Not at all, it was all constructive and I for one certainly took onboard your comments, thanks smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
TortillaShred
Mar 16 2008, 03:21 AM
Hey Ivan, thanks a lot for the feedback! rolleyes.gif I'll keep on working wink.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Classic
Epiphone Sg Special (with EMG 81/85 set and custom pickguard)

Zoom 606 II multieffect pedal
Boss Gt-8 multieffect pedal

Vox Ad50vt amplifier

Washburn D100 acoustic guitar
Squier acoustic guitar

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 28 2008, 01:12 PM
Instructor
No problem man, anytime! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:28 PM