Headphones
Chris
Aug 25 2007, 01:57 AM
GMC:er
Hi! I'm looking to buy a pair of headphones. Nothing over 100 pounds (UK) . I would be using the headphones for quiet practice and maybe a little homerecording. In terms of internet pricing, my budget and my requirements, has anyone got any ideas that can help me? Thanks. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Never Stop Rockin'

Axes : PRS SE Singlecut, Fender Squire Stratocaster, Epiphone SG
Amp : Marshall MG Series 30DFX
Pedals : Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95, Behringer OD100
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 25 2007, 02:41 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Chris @ Aug 24 2007, 08:57 PM) *
Hi! I'm looking to buy a pair of headphones. Nothing over 100 pounds (UK) . I would be using the headphones for quiet practice and maybe a little homerecording. In terms of internet pricing, my budget and my requirements, has anyone got any ideas that can help me? Thanks. smile.gif

For recording you would need a closed back design to prevent spill - plenty of quality choices in your price range, look at Audio Technica and Sony for starters.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 25 2007, 06:18 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
A bit off topic Chris but when I lived in the UK I used to find Digital Village/DV24/7 and Dolphin both helpful and usually willing to price match for studio stuff. I won't name one of their competitors but DV24/7 and Dolphin also gave better service then the competitor...

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Chris
Aug 25 2007, 06:21 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 25 2007, 06:18 AM) *
A bit off topic Chris but when I lived in the UK I used to find Digital Village/DV24/7 and Dolphin both helpful and usually willing to price match for studio stuff. I won't name one of their competitors but DV24/7 and Dolphin also gave better service then the competitor...

Cheers,
Tony

oh ok. cool. thanks smile.gif

--------------------
Never Stop Rockin'

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Aug 25 2007, 06:38 AM
QUOTE (Chris @ Aug 25 2007, 02:57 AM) *

I'd recommend Sennheiser wireless. I have enough of wiring around me without being tangled in with the headphones. Don't remember the name of them, check my sig, it's listed there. They where like 60 - 70 pounds. But don't get the auto tuning surround "big brother" of those. The auto tuning is not so good and simulated surround is nothing youll need for your guitar.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Chris
Aug 25 2007, 07:45 AM
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Aug 25 2007, 06:38 AM) *
I'd recommend Sennheiser wireless. I have enough of wiring around me without being tangled in with the headphones. Don't remember the name of them, check my sig, it's listed there. They where like 60 - 70 pounds. But don't get the auto tuning surround "big brother" of those. The auto tuning is not so good and simulated surround is nothing youll need for your guitar.

So how does the wireless work? Is there a transmitter at the output? If so does it plug in with a 1/4 " jack or a mini output jack? Will the transmitter go straight into my amp? Or will i need a connector?

This post has been edited by Chris: Aug 25 2007, 07:52 AM

--------------------
Never Stop Rockin'

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 25 2007, 08:11 AM
According to this Chris it's a mini but comes with a mini to 1/4'' jack converter.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Chris
Aug 27 2007, 03:59 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 25 2007, 08:11 AM) *
According to this Chris it's a mini but comes with a mini to 1/4'' jack converter.

Cheers,
Tony

Does the sound quality ever faulter when you use converters like this? Also what are "Close headphones" ?
Thanks

This post has been edited by Chris: Aug 27 2007, 04:05 AM

--------------------
Never Stop Rockin'

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 27 2007, 04:56 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Chris @ Aug 26 2007, 10:59 PM) *
Does the sound quality ever faulter when you use converters like this? Also what are "Close headphones" ?
Thanks

I had a pair of AR wireless headphoines and stopped using them because there was a background of electronic fuzz and the sound quality suffered. Other makes may be better but I wouldn;t bet on it.

Closed back headphones don;t vent to the outsied so the sound stays in your head. Open backed headphones vent to the outside so there is noise spill which can affect recordings if you are using a microphone. Not an issue if you are using something like a pod for recording, or indeed any direc t electric guitar since there is no mic in the signal path. For micing an amp it also probably doesn't matter as you will be far away from the mic. OIIt really matters when recording vocals or acoustic guitar.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Aug 27 2007, 07:01 AM
I think ive added this before in another topic but my number 1 choice for headphones are the Sony Studio Edition Pro. I use them for recording and for listening to music. closed system so they are great for sound blockage and they have amazing sound quality.. google them smile.gif might be over 100 tho sad.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 27 2007, 07:56 AM
At the end of the day whilst closed back 'phones are arguably better for sound recording (and this really also depends on the quality of the audio card and the 'phones) ANY headphone is just another form of audio out. To a great extent what you need for listening and achieving good mix is a variety of different audio outs, speakers, headphones and so on. Now because most people now a days listen to music from an IPod or similar then one may put forward an argument that at least one source to mix to should be SIMILAR.

Closed back is great for reducing cross talk and spill but are not necessarily the most comfortable to wear over a pre-longed period nor arguably are they particularly similar to the headphones most of us use on a routine basis. Its te same with studio monitors - my hi-fi speakers are rather different sonically to those in my studio and those on my old but functional ghetto blaster.

What is more important is that you have a monitoring source that you are comfortable with and have an understanding of Chris = sound wise and comfort. If you can try out a variety of different headphones and find ones you like BUT also have an idea of what they produce well and accurately sonically (if that makes sense).

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris
Aug 27 2007, 08:58 AM
yeh. thanks everyone. smile.gif

--------------------
Never Stop Rockin'

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Aug 27 2007, 03:56 PM
I'll just add that the one I recommended add no noise or delay. Of course there are "better" ones. There always is. To me the sound is great in these and I love not being tied to whatever I listen to.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Aug 28 2007, 01:28 PM
Wow, Chris...

For "quiet practice" and "a little home recording" I wouldn't spend 100 pounds. When I bought my headphones a long time ago I found a pair that had the same specifications as the Sony Studio Pro's that were being made at the time. They cost me $40 US which is like 20 pounds UK. They were Panasonic's and to this day sound impeccable.

It's just my recommendation because I hate to see people spend more money than they need to get the desired effect. Like others said, Closed back is the way to go and the other thing I'd recommend is to compare the frequency ranges and sensitivity. The higher the sensitivity the less they need driven to sound loud and clear, and the wider the frequency the more accurate the reproduction... almost everything else is marketing crap.

Here is some useful info:

Sony MDR-7509D

Frequency range = 5 to 80,000 Hz
Sensitivity = 106 dB/mW
Price = $200 US

Sony MDR-V600
Frequency range = 5 to 30,000 Hz
Sensitivity = 106 dB/mW
Price = $100 US

Human hearing range = 20 to 20,000 Hz
So as you can see even the Sony MDR-V600 at half the price still provides more sound than your ear will ever hear and at 106 dB/mW is well over the desired standard of 100 dB/mW. There are even cheaper ones but this was just for quick comparison.

Hope this helps!

Hardtail

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:26 PM