Is it possible to change your voice?, To where you can sing better?
Fender23strat
Feb 24 2007, 05:49 PM
GMC:er
I've been wondering lately if it is possible to change your voice. Like if i sang for many hours a day is it possible that i could change my voice to be more uh pleasant when you hear it. I would really be interested if anybody has any idea on this. From what I know i don't think it's possible to change your voice but I still wanted to ask lol

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 24 2007, 06:13 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Fender23strat @ Feb 24 2007, 11:49 AM) *
I've been wondering lately if it is possible to change your voice. Like if i sang for many hours a day is it possible that i could change my voice to be more uh pleasant when you hear it. I would really be interested if anybody has any idea on this. From what I know i don't think it's possible to change your voice but I still wanted to ask lol

Difficult question, I have been down a similar path, and have a few comments:

1. If you are interested in singing, get some lessons - this is the single most important thing. Your teacher will make sure you are projecting right and you are at least making the most of what you have. If you have had no lessons, you are likely to be singing with loose vocal chords, and not breathing well. For some people and styles that works ok, but you can make a huge difference to your tone by using correct technique.

2. You are pretty much stuck with what you have. The character of your voice is determined by your physical makeup and resonances of various bodily cavities such as your sinuses and chest. As far as I know, there isn't surgery available to help with this wink.gif

3. A good teacher can work with you to change aspects of your voice, like improve clarity by singing in certain ways - from what I have seen, improvements are possible, but you won't change to Pavarotti overnight, and this might only make a slight difference.

Even given all of the above, you don't know until you try, so I encourage you to have a go! I went from appalling to being a reasonable backing singer with 6 months of lessons - however, I'll never be a lead vocalist.

Hope that helps ..

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Guitar Master123
Feb 24 2007, 06:20 PM
I don't like my voice.

--------------------
Country
Rap
Hip-Hop
Altenative
Punk
Classical
Reggae
Gospel
Heavy Metal
BlueGrass
Rock N' Roll

Mahalo!
Merry X-Mas
And a Happy New Year!

+Quote Post
Robin
Feb 24 2007, 07:07 PM
I think practicing will help, if you practice you'll probably learn to control your voice better, but I think getting a singing teacher will be best.

+Quote Post
Fender23strat
Feb 24 2007, 07:34 PM
Haha yeah thanks guys. I was pretty sure there wasn't any huge secret that i didn't know of. But thanks. And yeah, lessons are a possilbity but i just know that even if i took them i still wouldn't have a good voice so... Back up vocals it is for me lol! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 24 2007, 11:50 PM
GMC Founder
I definately believe your voice has loads of tonal variations which you have no idea of now - but that can be practiced!

--------------------

+Quote Post
beebo
Feb 27 2007, 12:56 AM
Did u know Axl Rose from Guns n' Roses (greatest band ever rolleyes.gif ) said that when he was little he used to sing in church with his sister and then I guess he did leads and stuff in church and his voice didn't get much deeper ( a good thing) so he can sing really high notes and I think he's probably the best singer not because he can sing high he just has a awesome voice overall!
So my advice practice will help and just have fun and try not to let ur nerves get to because people can tell when ur nervous! Man do I hate that wink.gif laugh.gif

p.s. I wish my band's singer could sing like Axl Rose so don't fell bad sad.gif

+Quote Post
brainlesswonder
Feb 27 2007, 01:08 AM
smoke a lot

+Quote Post
digitaladdiction...
Feb 28 2007, 12:54 AM
Just look at Jim Nabors a.k.a Gomer Pyle sing from The Andy Griffith Show or Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C

surprise surprise surprise

+Quote Post
PickNGrin
Mar 2 2007, 07:56 PM
Just look at Jim Nabors a.k.a Gomer Pyle sing from The Andy Griffith Show or Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C

surprise surprise surprise

LOL!
I heard...years and years ago, that Jim really would have prefered a career as a singer. He did cut some albums. But he was damned by his goofy looks.

I have "learned" to sing, to a degree. I can change from real breathy, to falsetta, to just clean me, to the occaisional "mimic" of someone else, like a nasel voice like Bob Dylan.

+Quote Post
Robin
Mar 3 2007, 01:44 AM
When I think about it, look at those people from TV shows like Idol, and all those other singstar shows. They get ALOT better from start to end of the season. So yeah, practicing singing helps

+Quote Post
bricktop
Mar 3 2007, 02:24 AM
QUOTE (Robin @ Mar 3 2007, 01:44 AM) *
When I think about it, look at those people from TV shows like Idol, and all those other singstar shows. They get ALOT better from start to end of the season. So yeah, practicing singing helps

You should practice singing and scales just like you practice guitar, either get some vocal lessons or buy a good vocal technique book with cd and vocal lessons. I have one which is pretty good, has some good warmup exercises, falsetto exercises, etc. I'll go find the book after the kids goto bed. I bought it on amazon.com

john

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Fender
Acoustic Guitars:
Amplifiers: Fender Blues Junior NOS
Effects:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:15 AM