3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Youtube + Guitar Lessons=illegal, They almost took tabs away from us - now they're heading for the v
ch00ch00man
Jul 8 2007, 03:51 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Kaneda @ Jul 7 2007, 10:26 PM) *
Sadly, that argument doesn't hold sad.gif It may technically be a different song, but copyright includes the exclusive right of the copyright holder to create "derivative works" too. Which includes adapting a novel to a stage play, transposing a song to a different key - and also (addressing the other common objection) writing tabs which aren't correct - as long as they're "similar enough". Then there's the gray, philosophical zone of determining how many notes (or intervals) to change before it's not derivative anymore. smile.gif Of course transposing a song a semitone up makes all the notes different, but saying it's a different song won't hold up in court wink.gif

Under the current legislation, tabs as well as guitar lessons of copyrighted works are illegal. Whether that's how it should be - and whether it does the music industry any good to shut down tab sites and guitar lessons - is another matter.

Needless to say, I don't think it's how it should be, and I don't think it does the music industry - much less the actual artists - any good. I also think the idea of software patents is the worst thing to happen to progress in the past 30 years. Yet that's how things are. unsure.gif

Very well said Kaneda!!! I couldn't agree more. I find the same people that bitch and moan about this stuff, are the same people when asked whom they voted for, say they don't vote. I too find the current state of copyright law to be lacking, to say the least. But it is the law, and that that. You want change, in America you are given that opportunity every two years. Say what you want, but if you don't vote, you have no right to bitch.

Boris

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kahall
Jul 8 2007, 04:43 AM
Learning Roadie
I would not get too upset by this really. There are other ways, and other places to host videos.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Jul 8 2007, 06:29 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jul 7 2007, 10:08 PM) *
What they do is really scary and if they are allowed to keep on going at this pace soon enough they will stop tribute and cover bands.

Venues pay BMI, ASCAP, etc fees to cover this.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Jul 8 2007, 06:42 AM
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Jul 7 2007, 11:26 PM) *
edit. Im finding a ton of term oil on this subject , and this piece of poop is making me even more mad

Actually this is kind of funny hanging his whole point on "ghost accounts". On the 29th, the NextLevelGuitar guys sent an email out about what happened, the new account and asking for people to subscribe. It seems perfectly reasonable for some people to create an account just to make a statement here. I almost did it. I use Youtube quite a bit but don't really have any reason to create an account....so if I had subscribed to the new feed, my account would look like a 'ghost'.

People are funny.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jul 8 2007, 07:02 AM
Yeah it was pretty funny , after looking at that Trevor guys other videos tongue.gif

-John

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 8 2007, 11:41 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (kahall @ Jul 8 2007, 05:43 AM) *
I would not get too upset by this really. There are other ways, and other places to host videos.

Yes that is right - but the fact that one single of the lessons mentioned here had 3-5 million views is proof that a very important distribution channel of instruction has been eliminated.

QUOTE (MickeM @ Jul 8 2007, 12:08 AM) *
About song lessons on this site, is it very expensive with copyrights or could there be sort of a platina account with access to these?

I really dont hope a platina account should be necessary. I am hoping that we can find a better way of solving this...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Jul 8 2007, 12:02 PM
I despise The music industry. if every record exec dropped dead right now the world would be a better place.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
kahall
Jul 8 2007, 08:39 PM
Learning Roadie
I did not read the entire article linked to or notice that it was on NPR when Kris first posted it here. NPR is notorious for stirring up s***when nothing has or will ever happen and they tend to slant everything to the negative side. I tried to find other stories relating to this article, there were very few and even those referred to the NPR article as its source. While it may be true that youtube is in the process of yanking all lessons that teach popular songs they have not done so yet.

Example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m79m_PXFmJs

Maybe some of the lessons they have yanked just crossed a fine line that no one will ever be able to define.

Edited for language - Andrew

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Jul 8 2007, 10:16 PM

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jul 9 2007, 08:31 AM
Edited for language - Andrew

Yey! First ever on GMC? biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by blindwillie: Jul 9 2007, 08:32 AM

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 9 2007, 01:56 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Jul 9 2007, 03:31 AM) *
Yey! First ever on GMC? biggrin.gif

Sorry, no, I've been busy - there was a whole thread on it on Saturday ...

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jul 9 2007, 05:58 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 9 2007, 02:56 PM) *
Sorry, no, I've been busy - there was a whole thread on it on Saturday ...

Yes, I saw that later. Haven't checked GMC for a few days. That made the joke a bit flat. Sorry.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Jeff
Jul 9 2007, 08:50 PM
This is sad. What next? Will it now be illegal to produce or purchase an electronic device that is specifically designed to slow down songs so that they can be transcribed?

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 9 2007, 10:31 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (jeff @ Jul 9 2007, 03:50 PM) *
This is sad. What next? Will it now be illegal to produce or purchase an electronic device that is specifically designed to slow down songs so that they can be transcribed?

Yeah, didn't think of that ... I'll bet that if they wanted to the record companies could have a go at applying the Digital Milenium act there - after all, its reverse engineering a song mad.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
kahall
Jul 10 2007, 03:18 AM
Learning Roadie
I just checked youtube. Jihad T.V. is still ok as long as you don't sneak in a guitar lesson.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 10 2007, 02:36 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (jeff @ Jul 9 2007, 09:50 PM) *

No I don't think so - basically you can do whatever you want as long as it's doesn't appeal to the masses.

If what you are doing does appeal to the masses - then you it could get taken away even it's perfectly legal. That's almost the impression I get from recent happenings.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jeff
Jul 10 2007, 05:42 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jul 10 2007, 08:36 AM) *
No I don't think so - basically you can do whatever you want as long as it's doesn't appeal to the masses.

If what you are doing does appeal to the masses - then you it could get taken away even it's perfectly legal. That's almost the impression I get from recent happenings.

OK Kris, so here is your solution and idea for GMC:

Convince record companies to include some kind of ID/Password that would be included with CD sales. That way, if I purchase a CD I have the right to transcriptions to those songs. Those transcriptions would be available here at GMC through the awesome instructors that you have and I would provide the ID/Password to get them.

I would gladly pay an extra buck for that and the giant music industry maching could be happy making more money so they could ski behind more yahts. What do you think?

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 10 2007, 05:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jeff @ Jul 10 2007, 06:42 PM) *
Convince record companies

That part sounds really simple!!! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Owen
Jul 10 2007, 06:12 PM
Pavel's right, what benefit is it to them if little GMC has In The Style of Lessons or not?

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
jammer91
Jul 10 2007, 06:38 PM
Whoa, youtube is closing all guitar lessons.....

That would include Kris' lessons on youtube?

YouTube is gone wild!

Kris, somehow i suggest you keep the lessons going on youtube cause thats what caused me to join GMC (other that UG).... After all it would be cool if we had as many members as possible.

--------------------

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Part of the key to success is to never call yourself good...

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10
-Some Yamaha acoustic which is a magnet to dust under my bed

End World Hunger

+Quote Post
Owen
Jul 10 2007, 06:56 PM
No, they're just taking down lessons which teach sections or passages out of copyrighted songs. Anything else will not be targeted. tongue.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:01 PM