Using A Mobile Phone As High End Web Cam
Todd Simpson
Jul 22 2021, 08:31 PM
GMC:er
The venerable iPhone 6S and 6S+ both have a 12-megapixel (4032×3024 pixels) camera (newer models have even better cameras). This is far, far more resolution than you can get on any, I repeat, any webcam anywhere near the same price. It’s the cheapest way to get a 12 megapixel camera that works as a wecam or stand alone still/motion camera with sound. You can get an old iphone 6s for about $75 on ebay. You don’t have to use it as a phone, just using as a camera and handy cam/recording device makes it worth the price of admission. It’s basically a very nice video/still camera that also records audio.

In addition, there is a ton of music software available for the iphone including the mobile version of OVERLOUD THU. So it’s also a mobile guitar processor. A micro studio that fits in your pocket that can do music production, video production/editing, and with wifi, let you peruse social media as well and post to instagram/youtube/facebook etc. Also allows you to make zoom calls/skype etc. It’s got a huge amount of functionality using just wifi. You don’t even need to connect it to a mobile service. You can use your existing mobile as a mobile.

However, if you already have a nice mobile phone, just go install the free ELGATO EPOCCAM software on your mobile and on your pc/mac and bam, you’re good to go. Here is a link to grab the free software.

https://www.elgato.com/en/epoccam

Here is a video on how to install and use it.

So if you already have a nice mobile phone, bam, you now have an ultra high end webcam as well. If you don’t have a nice mobile phone, or if you want to have a device to use just for webcam/video/audio recording, you can go grab an old iphone for way cheaper than you can get a webcam/video cam of similar ability. You then get all of the extra functionality, (like running garage band/overloud thu/imovie) for free.

This will work just the same on just about any ipad tablet. So if you have an ipad tablet around, you can also use it as your web cam! Just like phones, tablets have cameras on the front and the back. The back facing camera (the camera on the same side as the main display) is very handy as it lets you see what you are shooting. However the front facing camera is usually of higher quality. The good news is that the software will let you see a preview of what your camera is seeing so that you can use the higher resolution camera and still see what the camera sees via the software that’s active on your computer.

If you have a Mac, the quicktime utility will let you use your iphone as a camera source. However, this is not just for Apple users. This works on Windows/Android as well. It’s the same idea and the same process. If you have an android phone and use a Windows computer, here is a video to walk you through setting it up. The vid has links to the software in the description.

So no matter if you are using Windows/MacOS, Iphone/Android, you can use just about any phone/tablet as a web cam without needing to buy additional hardware. Hope you guys find this handy!

*Turn on your web cam and work up a rec for this lesson!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/HotStratLesson/

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 3 2021, 02:56 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 22 2021, 08:36 PM
Learning Rock Star
I tried using my phone as a webcam at one point through an app for Android. I forgot the name now. It worked well enough, but the quality of my phone's camera is not great anymore, so it wasn't really an upgrade. It's kinda old, as is my webcam and the handycam I use as a webcam. The handycam is still superior to the others I think. It's a Sony CX405. My webcam is a Logitech C525. And my phone is a Huawei Mate 10 Lite. All need upgrading at some point smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 23 2021, 09:49 PM
GMC:er
It does depend a LOT on the quality of the camera in the phone. If the camera in the phone is old/not very good then it won't gain you much ground over using a standard web cam. Mine is an iphone 8 so it's a bit better if I use the front facing cam. the back facing cam not so much. New phones have amazing optics in them which would make a handy setup smile.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jul 22 2021, 03:36 PM) *
I tried using my phone as a webcam at one point through an app for Android. I forgot the name now. It worked well enough, but the quality of my phone's camera is not great anymore, so it wasn't really an upgrade. It's kinda old, as is my webcam and the handycam I use as a webcam. The handycam is still superior to the others I think. It's a Sony CX405. My webcam is a Logitech C525. And my phone is a Huawei Mate 10 Lite. All need upgrading at some point smile.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 23 2021, 11:02 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 23 2021, 10:49 PM) *
It does depend a LOT on the quality of the camera in the phone. If the camera in the phone is old/not very good then it won't gain you much ground over using a standard web cam. Mine is an iphone 8 so it's a bit better if I use the front facing cam. the back facing cam not so much. New phones have amazing optics in them which would make a handy setup smile.gif

My mom recently bought a Samsung S21. Amazing camera in that one smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:32 AM