Anyone Here From/in Liverpool?
audiopaal
Jan 20 2010, 09:07 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Hi guys smile.gif

Anyone here reside in Liverpool?
If so, any tips for a cool store, pub, venue etc.? biggrin.gif

I'll be going to Liverpool on February 24th and stay a few days,
so if anyone wanna give me some ideas on places I should visit, or just wanna grab a beer... let me know biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
Jan 20 2010, 09:10 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Jan 20 2010, 03:07 AM) *
Hi guys smile.gif

so if anyone wanna give me some ideas on places I should visit, or just wanna grab a beer... let me know biggrin.gif

I don't live there but if I was you I would go to take a beer to the Cavern's Club the place where the Beatles started)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Boson
Jan 20 2010, 10:06 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Crazy_Diamond @ Jan 20 2010, 09:10 AM) *
I don't live there but if I was you I would go to take a beer to the Cavern's Club the place where the Beatles started)

Just accros the road from The Cavern on Matthew Street is a pub called The Grapes which used to be good 20m from the Cavern you will find an Irish bar called Flanigans which is a cool place to be and they often have live bands.

QUOTE (Boson @ Jan 20 2010, 10:00 AM) *
Just accros the road from The Cavern on Matthew Street is a pub called The Grapes which used to be good 20m from the Cavern you will find an Irish bar called Flanigans which is a cool place to be and they often have live bands.

You should also check out The Beatles Museum which is down at Albert Dock

--------------------
"Better to live one day as a tiger than a thousand years as a sheep"

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jan 20 2010, 10:24 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Don't live there now but I grew up in Liverpool. I think Sted still lives there though. All of this is from memory and my info may be out of date a bit...

The original Cavern was demolished years ago btw and for a long time became an NCP car park. However the Cavern Club is very close to the original site and probably has some nice stuff.

For pubs - Grapes as Boson says is good, another good one close to it is The White Star. a bit further away the New Crocodile, the Why Not (spelling?) and the Crack were all good. If you get the chance the Philharmonic is worth a visit - and go to the toilets (sounds odd but the toilets are made out of marble etc) - and used to have quite a bit of live music. If you're after a bikers/rock music type pub then The Swan used to be great also Wilson's (which also used to host Nightriders/Freewheelers Rock club) and the Devil/Cherbourge (out n the dock road) used to be ok.

For tea and soft drinks - if it's still around - The Armadillo Tea Rooms.

Records/music - Probe Records.

Guitar Shops - Hessy's , Rushworths and Cranes are all in the city centre. First two are on Paradise Street (near Matthew Street). Hessy's has the claim to have sold The Beatles their first proper guitars.

Football - Everton are at Goodison smile.gif

Comedy - Liverpool are at Anfield wink.gif

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jan 20 2010, 12:09 PM
QUOTE (Crazy_Diamond @ Jan 20 2010, 09:10 AM) *

Thanks, but that's already planned biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Boson @ Jan 20 2010, 10:06 AM) *

You should also check out The Beatles Museum which is down at Albert Dock

Nice, I'll be sure to look for it! smile.gif
Oh, the Beatles museum is a must-visit, thanks smile.gif

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jan 20 2010, 10:24 AM) *
Don't live there now but I grew up in Liverpool. I think Sted still lives there though. All of this is from memory and my info may be out of date a bit...

The original Cavern was demolished years ago btw and for a long time became an NCP car park. However the Cavern Club is very close to the original site and probably has some nice stuff.

For pubs - Grapes as Boson says is good, another good one close to it is The White Star. a bit further away the New Crocodile, the Why Not (spelling?) and the Crack were all good. If you get the chance the Philharmonic is worth a visit - and go to the toilets (sounds odd but the toilets are made out of marble etc) - and used to have quite a bit of live music. If you're after a bikers/rock music type pub then The Swan used to be great also Wilson's (which also used to host Nightriders/Freewheelers Rock club) and the Devil/Cherbourge (out n the dock road) used to be ok.

For tea and soft drinks - if it's still around - The Armadillo Tea Rooms.

Records/music - Probe Records.

Guitar Shops - Hessy's , Rushworths and Cranes are all in the city centre. First two are on Paradise Street (near Matthew Street). Hessy's has the claim to have sold The Beatles their first proper guitars.

Football - Everton are at Goodison smile.gif

Comedy - Liverpool are at Anfield wink.gif

THANK YOU biggrin.gif
I'll be checking out what I can, but at least I have something to look for now smile.gif
Haha, I promised I'd go with my Dad to the Liverpool game, but he's not very fond of my jokes about them laugh.gif

Thanks everyone for your information!

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 20 2010, 02:07 PM
GMC:er
As Tony said, our friend Sted is definitely up that way! Send him a PM Paal!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jan 20 2010, 03:08 PM
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jan 20 2010, 02:07 PM) *
As Tony said, our friend Sted is definitely up that way! Send him a PM Paal!
biggrin.gif

Nice, I've sent him a PM smile.gif

Thanks!

+Quote Post
sted
Jan 20 2010, 09:51 PM
Learning Rock Star
Where to start!!

Shopping

Liverpool city centre has just undergone a massive re-modelling so right smack bang in the centre is the new Liverpool One project which is literally hundreds of new shops including the new Liverpool megastore, john Lewis and countless other top name shops, also on the upper levels there are a load international type restaurants (gourmet Burger, Cafe Rouge, Waggamama's etc)

Pubs

Most people head for Matthew Street which is where the cavern, the grapes and flanagans are, by all means check it out but it is quite touristy. You should check out the Cavern PUB which is right opposite the cavern club as it ususally has a live music act on in there but theres a load of cool music memoribilia in there too, and check out Lennons Bar a little bit further down, a bit spit and sawdust but very beatles orientated.
One of my favourite pubs is Tomas rigbys which is on Dale Street (Next to the town Hall), very near the top of Matthew Street, its a proper old pub with loads of beer from all over the world and gets mostly city workers in there. also just down towards the river on the same road is the Newz Bar, a bit swanky but its ultra cool and you may spot a few footballers in there, smart dress applies.
Another of my favourites is The Monroe on up near duke Street, nice for a quiet drink or meal in front of a big open fire with the wife, also there is Alma De Cuba which is again a very hip place to go and is a converted church still with the altar in and everything, its really big and a great place to go (Bit pricey for a beer mind!)

There are loads of great pubs and around the city centre mate so dont be afraid of just walking about, its a very safe city in my opinion.

Eating

Loads and loads of places here mate, as mentioned there are a boatload in Liverpool One but my favourites are Piccolinos (Italian) on Victoria Street and La Vina is very nice too (Tapas) which is right near Piccolinos, there are loads and loads of places though mate, Victoria Street is actually quite a long road FULL of bars and restaurants (Living room, revolution, Pink (Gay bar! be warned!) Aldo's (Owned by John Aldridge formerly of Liverpool FC) theres also the England sports Cafe which is owned by Jamie Carragher and has loads of England sport menoribilia in there and is a great sports bar for watching football.
There are also some nice, classy places in the Albert Dock area (5 mins walk from L1) my favourites here are Baby Blu and the Pan america, you can sit out on the old quayside with a beer and they have live music in Baby Blu every weekend (Ive seen a few there, its small but very good).

Music

Theres a couple of theatres in the city centre if youre into that, the best music venues are the Carling Academies (which are near Lime Street station, you would probably have to book tickets for some of the more popular acts, Ive seen Queens of the stone Age there) and of course the new massive Echo Arena which has loads of Mega Stuff going on but you'd be best checking the website.
As mentioned above Cavern Pub, Baby Blu and countless others all have live music on at the weekends, blundell st is a great venue but its a little way past the albert dock so you'd need to get a taxi i reckon.

guitar/music shops

The main music shops are all now on paradise street where it meets bold street, there's Curly Music, Dolphin Music and Dawsons all on the same road, theyre all ok but can get a bit full on weekends of kids plinking Ibanez guitars! I think these have replaced the ones Tony was referring to as its the same road!
I think Probe Records is still going (Slater Street, I think!) but its more of a DJ type shop to my knowledge, also a good place to get club tickets and stuff.

Night clubs

Hundreds mate, the place is unbelievably buzzing on the weekend, just wander round the city centre its quite compact so everything is jammed together, just bear in mind it can get a little wild as people go out there from all over so you may have to queue for some clubs and stuff (The posh ones are very picky, well they dont let me in! lol!) and also it can be hard to score a taxi if you're not staying in the city centre.

Other stuff

Mersey ferries do a few trips up and down the mersey, there is a WW2 amphibious craft (Called the Yellow duckmarine!) that goes aroound the docks and city centre which can be a laugh, theres the beatles museum in the albert dock, Radio city tours in the St Johns Tower, theres the big Liverpool museum which is quite cool and also the liver buildings and the old customs house on the front, I dont think the new waterfront Museum is finished yet though.

That enough for you mate?!?

Some useful sites:

http://www.liverpool.com/
http://www.liverpool-one.com/website/home.aspx
http://www.echoarena.com/whats_on/index.asp
http://www.carling.com/music/
http://www.albertdock.com/
http://www.jicomedy.co.uk/livelounge/
http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/walker/
http://www.alma-de-cuba.com/homepage/

Of course if you need any more info mate just PM me, I'd also be happy to meet up with you and sink a few beers mate! Just let me know!

Lee.

+Quote Post
Boson
Jan 20 2010, 10:35 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hey reading all this makes me feel quite nostalgic. I'm origibally frm Newcastle but I lived in Liverpool for quite a few years.

I now live in Spain.

Liverpool is a cool city. You are sure to have a good time Paal

--------------------
"Better to live one day as a tiger than a thousand years as a sheep"

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jan 20 2010, 11:08 PM
Sted: You are amazing, thanks biggrin.gif

I'll be checking out what I can.. Can't wait to go now smile.gif

Thanks Boson smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 21 2010, 01:01 PM
GMC:er
Pure awesomeness Lee!!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
sted
Jan 22 2010, 11:44 AM
Learning Rock Star
You're welcome guys! Like I said anyhting else let me know!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 26 2010, 07:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Jan 20 2010, 09:07 AM) *
Hi guys smile.gif

yeah, that's a must check

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Artemus
Jan 27 2010, 01:09 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
Well I think Sted's your man for the tour. My sister lives in the locality and she'd certainly know a few places
As for beers, it's easy enough for me to get to Liverpool from Manchester wink.gif

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jan 27 2010, 02:19 PM
QUOTE (Artemus @ Jan 27 2010, 01:09 PM) *
Well I think Sted's your man for the tour. My sister lives in the locality and she'd certainly know a few places
As for beers, it's easy enough for me to get to Liverpool from Manchester wink.gif

Yeah, I've already started planning from Steds list of places to visit smile.gif
How far is Manchester?

Lemme know if you wanna stop by Liverpool for a few cold ones smile.gif
I'm always up for beer laugh.gif

My girlfriends there as well, but I could always ship her off on shopping with the others tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Artemus
Jan 27 2010, 08:33 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
It's only an hour or so on the train. I should be good for the end of February.. just let me know when and where smile.gif

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Feb 25 2010, 08:47 PM
Guess who forgot about this thread...
And guess who forgot that he was going on vacation yesterday morning? biggrin.gif

I did manage to get to the airport in time though, haha..
Anyway, if anyone's up for a beer on short notice, tomorrow night perhaps, give me a shout biggrin.gif

I'll be roaming the city all day, so either reply here or text me at 0047 950 33 752.

Have a great weekend everybody! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:53 PM