? On Randy Rhoads Licks/solos & Metal
Gerald
Nov 7 2007, 04:24 AM
GMC:er
David,

I am a new member to GMC and have been reviewing some of your lessons prior to joining. I was wondering if you would be willing to provide me a couple of pointers on metal soloing and also if you would be willing to create a Randy Rhoads style lesson.

As for pointers, what I'd like to know is some very basic information. Which scales work well with metal soloing? From what I have read so far 3 note scales work well, but I am not sure if major or minor is best or what modes lend themselves to good metal soloing. I'm not very familiar with the modes yet, but am currently reviewing some of Andrew's music theory posts to gain that knowledge. If I had one box to start off with or a scale, I could research the box and use that as a starting point.

Lastly, I did a search for Rhoads on GMC and only found one result from a lesson Kris has on tapping. Randy is one of my personal favorites, and I was wondering if you would be willing to create a lesson with a Randy Rhoads feel.

I appreciate your time!
- Gerald

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dogman
Nov 8 2007, 05:08 AM
Just to add my 2cents laugh.gif

I figured I have hounded Muris enough about the Alex Lifeson lesson and so I'd give him some rest and jump on a Randy Rhoads lesson too biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gerald
Nov 9 2007, 03:48 AM
The more the merrier! Check this out for some inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qjnzYwKqOo

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Nov 14 2007, 12:01 PM
Instructor
Good ideas, I'll try to add that to my list. :-)
To answer your question Gerald, I would definitally point you towards the minor pentatonic scale.
It's the most commonly used scale used in metal, rock, and lots of other styles..
After that, I would point you towards the Aeolian scale, also known as the "natural minor scale"...
Let me know if I can help!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Gerald
Nov 14 2007, 10:43 PM
David,

Thanks for the response! Currently I have been learning the minor penatonic scale and have the first 3 boxes of it down - having practiced in G Minor. I still feel that I default to a more bluesy sound.

Do you have a video lesson that uses the pentatonic scale which includes some metal lead licks? I'm looking for something very simple that I could play in minor pentatonic to complement the scale practice I'm already doing.

Thanks again!
- Gerald

+Quote Post
guitarrista_sean
Nov 15 2007, 12:07 AM
There are a couple "rock" style videos by Gabriel Leopardi on here that use the pentatonic scale. They are not "metal", but def hard rocking.

+Quote Post
Gerald
Nov 15 2007, 05:59 AM
QUOTE (guitarrista_sean @ Nov 14 2007, 06:07 PM) *
There are a couple "rock" style videos by Gabriel Leopardi on here that use the pentatonic scale. They are not "metal", but def hard rocking.

Thanks for the heads up on those! I also found Kris's pentatonic lesson series and that has helped a lot as well! Highly recommend those.

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Nov 17 2007, 07:00 PM
Instructor
I'll try to make another one too..
You can also check my very first lesson "Metalhead".. There are a few cool minor pentatonic licks there...

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:12 PM