8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Onetabmat's Bootcamp, You have chosen the path of the Warrior!
Todd Simpson
Oct 25 2018, 06:38 PM
GMC:er
Welcome to SHRED BOOTCAMP! I'll be your Drill Instructor! And I do mean DRILL! As in a large power tool used in slasher films and Paul Gilbert concerts. Here is were you EARN THE LIVING DEATH out of your fingers and break through any speed bumps/barriers to become a MASTER CHIEF of Shred!
QUICK TIPS TO PREPARE YOU FOR BATTLE
*Make sure you get both hands in the shot when shooting your video*Make sure you use a metronome for the first several Missions and that the metronome can be heard.*After you complete a mission, shoot me a PM and let me know it's ready and I'll give you a debrief! These are pass / fail, so if you pass you BADGE UP and if not, I'll give you some feedback and you head in to the breach once again.
*The first several missions are VERY simple. They are just to get you used to the bootcamp process.
*Most importantly, there is NEVER a speed requirement in bootcamp. I want you to push yourself to play as brisk as you can, but NEVER at the expense of precision. If you find you are missing a note here and there, slow down a bit. Speed is just a byproduct of precision so my goal is to make you a very precise player. At that point, speed just happens.
MISSON #1

THE MISSION

1.)Your mission is to go all the way back to the very start. The base of the mountain.

LESSON 1. http://bitly.com/gmclesson1

Which you will play SUPER PERFECT!. Speed it up bit by bit until you feel your ready to take it to WAR (Any speed, it's up to you, no points for speed, only points for playing in a precise manner as speed is simply a byproduct of precision) Shoot a video and post it as a reply to this post. Make sure to EMBED the video by clicking on INSERT SPECIAL ITEM above the smiley face and then you'll get a drop down menu. Click on INSERT YOUTUBE VIDEO and follow the instructions in the Pop Up Menu. I'll then offer a constructive and brutally honest critique.

THE AFTERMATH

Upon nailing the crap out of lesson one at a speed you didn't think possible, and playing it a clean as a freshly waxed floor, you will be given your first insignia of Rank in BOOTCAMP! You will then proceed to Lesson #2 and so forth. Here is the link to the entire 400 plus Lesson Library. https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...rtal:Techniques

Here is the link to your own PRIVATE HOUSE OF PAIN!...Er I mean.. SHRED!

http://bit.ly/onetabmattsbootcamp

Practice!
Sarge

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 25 2018, 06:39 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Nov 4 2018, 03:48 PM
Learning Roadie

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 5 2018, 03:31 AM
WELCOME TO THE FIGHT SOLDIER!!! Nice Axe!!! You attack this one with Verve and Aggression Soldier! As it should be! Let's Debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR
*MUTE: Well Done on your mute technique. You are doing it just right imho. Your palm remains planted and your articulating the pick with the thumb and first finger. Is this your normal technique or did you read me going on about this in a post somewhere? Either way, NICE!!!
*SYNCH: The point of this Mission is to test your hand synch and let me know if there are issues wit it. The Good News is that I don't see any issues. You have very tight right/left hand synch!
*PACE: Another aspect of this mission is pace. I want to see if you can play without rushing or lagging.

In short, you just.......
LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Nov 4 2018, 10:48 AM) *

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Nov 15 2018, 06:13 PM
Learning Roadie

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 16 2018, 01:56 AM
Well fought Soldier!!! This is clearly to easy!!! I think you'll burn through these early missions!! It won't start to actually feel difficult until maybe Mission 25!!! I am a lot more picky on these as it is BOOTCAMP after all. Let's Debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

*PICKING TECHNIQUE: This one is all about solid picking and your picking is Solid!!!!
*MUTING: You are keeping the palm flat and articulating the pick with the thumb and first finger as God intended. Well done!!! It's almost like the forked tongue style. One fork of the tongue (the palm ) stays planted, while the other fork (the fingers/thumb) moves about.

*SYNCH: This Mission is a good chance to see if your playing will fall apart once we start bouncing around the neck. Good news! Solid as a rock.
You didn't even break a sweat soldier!! You just..
Attached Image
Sarge
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Nov 15 2018, 01:13 PM) *

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Nov 22 2018, 08:47 PM
Learning Roadie

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 23 2018, 02:59 AM
MEDALS OF HONOR

*TRAVERSE: many of these Missions have a good deal of string Traverse (going between strings), and it's easy to trip up when traversing. It's something that takes practice to get right. You did a great job on the traverse in this mission.
*PACE: These Missions are also a great chance for me to see you over a distance of ground. The Missions that run up the neck sometimes make folks want to rush towards the end as their hand starts to wear out. Not you! Strong and steady.
*ARTICULATION: You continue to have very good pick articulation using your thumb/first finger to move the pick and avoiding the dreaded "Picking from the Elbow" syndrome. Well done!!! In short, you took on a large chunk of challenging Missions and just KRUSHED IT!!!!
! in other words you just.....
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Well fought Soldier!! You are ready for what's ahead!!
Sarge

QUOTE (onetabmat @ Nov 22 2018, 03:47 PM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 23 2018, 02:59 AM

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Nov 28 2018, 06:39 PM
Learning Roadie
for some reason i was given a 4 badge for my 3rd, so just badge this as 3 wink.gif

This post has been edited by onetabmat: Nov 28 2018, 06:43 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 28 2018, 08:02 PM
Impressive Streak Soldier!! You are seriously on a roll!!! Keep it up!!! Let's look at Mission 4. I knew you'd kill it so you are already badged up smile.gif I'll include the badge here again. Let's Debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR
PINKY POWER-Well done on the use of Pinky Power!! Using the pinky is very important as it always could use a bit more work no matter how long one has been playing. Also, being able to stick the landing on a given fret with the pinky is the key to playing wads of cool licks, many of which are yet to come in Bootcamp!!
PACE-It's very easy to rush or lag on a lick like this. You are not rushing or lagging at all. Your pace is even and steady. This is one of the main things I'm trying to teach here in Bootcamp. Being able to control the pace of play is one of the marks of a great player. With that type of control, you can speed up/slow down at will, even in the middle of a complex passage.
ARTICULATION-Your pick articulation is very good here. This loop has non stop string traverse. If you have poor pick articulation, your pick will get stuck on a given string and ruin the entire thing. You are picking at a good angle and using the tip which is just as it should be. You had no trouble with this lick at all which is great!! This back and forth movement is the basis of Paul Gilbert's shred style. Being able to do it well will lead to great things in your playing. Keep this lick and see how far you can push the speed in your practice sessions!! This Mission is one for the books you just ... LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image
Sarge
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Nov 28 2018, 01:39 PM) *
for some reason i was given a 4 badge for my 3rd, so just badge this as 3 wink.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 1 2018, 03:39 AM
BOOTCAMP MISSION 5

Well Fought Soldier!! You started off a bit loose, but you saved at the end. This lick is fun to play fast. You gotta be careful though that you don't let the thirst for blood make you so aggressive that you lose your hand synch! You've clearly got a good handle on this concept that we are working on in this mission though. Let's Debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

SHEER AGGRESSION - I like the aggressive approach Soldier! Throwing yourself in to it!! That gets a lot of points in my book.

PINKY POWER The weakest finger is always in need of work. Great to see you giving it good whipping!!!!

MUTE BY DEATH
With all the string traverse going on, bad muting will result is crazy amounts of string noise. Good news is your mute is spot on!!!

This lesson is clearly to easy for you Soldier!!! You are ready for the Blood and Guts that lay ahead!! You KRUSHED it and..

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

Sarge

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 2 2018, 05:09 AM
MISSION 6 DEBRIEF
Pedal Points are a great technique to add to your bag of Tricks Soldier!! Not everyone takes to them right away. You took to it like a fish to water!! let's Debrief!!!....

MEDALS OF HONOR

ALT PICK TO GLORY Your Alternate Picking kung fu is quite strong soldier. One missed strike and this lick falls apart. You didn't miss any!! Well done.

PRECISION KILLS Without Precision, this lick does not work. It requires good pick articulation and and good hand synch. Without both, again it falls apart. You have both in spades!!

PACE NOT RACE Not rushed, not lagged, steady like a rock. Nice!!

Soldier you tore through this. Very well done!!!!! You just....

LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image
Sarge

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 2 2018, 05:10 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 3 2018, 04:30 AM
MISSION 7 DEBRIEF
You didn't have any trouble with this one Soldier! Well fought!! I think you may have to get a bit further before you break a sweat!!! Let's Debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

BACK AND FORTH: The "Back and Forth" is in full effect in this Mission. It's a "Paul Gilbert" thing and it's at the core of wads of shred licks. You can get some serious speed on this. Try it in bursts, try it as a long loop. Burst will let you feel what it's going to be like once you are able to loop it at break neck speed as Gilbert would do.
NO SLIP NO MISS: I build these so that any pick strike missed will stick out. You didn't miss any strikes so nothing is sticking out! Precision is everything.
NO NOISE NO MESS: On this type of lick it's easy to get extra string noise if your mute is not spot on. Your mute is spot on so no chance of that!!!
Yet another one for the books Soldier!! You just..
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Sarge

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 4 2018, 02:04 AM
MISSION 8 DEBRIEF

Another Impressive take Soldier!! You are clearly in good standing for what's ahead. Your making great progress!!! Let's Debrief......

MEDALS OF HONOR

GRACE UNDER PRESSURE These licks are not easy for most folks. You seem to have no trouble at all with them. You can play them without breaking a sweat. This is great to see. You are well beyond the level you are currently badged at. You may end up being the first one to crack triple digits. Everyone gets bogged down at some point when the Missions get really tough. At this rate, you'll burn right through it and be the first one in 10 years to do so.

PINKY POWER Great to see you using your pinky power! It's always a good idea to use the pinky.

PRECISION/SPEED I notice you are building up some good speed as well. Speed is just a byproduct of precision so your precision is getting better!

In short you cut through this like a hot knife through butter! You just...

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image
Todd

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 5 2018, 07:23 PM
MISSION 9 DEBRIEF

Impressive work Soldier!!! These are all canon fodder for you the onslaught of your playing!!! It's great to see you burning through these with such grace. You are well prepped for what's ahead as the road does get tricky as you get higher up. You are very close to your next Chevron Badge. Let's Debrief!!..

MEDALS OF HONOR

GRACE UNDER PRESSURE I notice that you didn't even have to look at your hands while playing this. It's a tricky bit and moves constantly which usually requires folks to keep an eye on their fret hand. You seem very comfortable just playing freestyle and not even looking at your hands which is great to see.
TRAVERSE FOR THE WIN Another drill with non stop string and fret traverse. If you were going to miss a note or strike, this would be where it happens. Good news is, you don't miss a think. Sniper!!
MUTED PICKING Keeping a solid mute while doing picking gymnastics is one of the most important things I try to teach. Some players really struggle with this if they have bad muting technique or rely to much on the fretting hand for mute. Not so here. You deftly mute and articulate the pick with the picking hand. Nice!!
In short, you are ready for the next stage of Battle Soldier. You have a firm grasp of the fundamentals and are prepared for War that is to come!!!! In other words you just..
LEVELED UP!!
Attached Image
Sarge

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 5 2018, 07:24 PM

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Dec 10 2018, 03:05 PM
Learning Roadie

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 11 2018, 04:32 AM
Mission 10 is a different lick than the vid posted in your take. I went ahead and graded lick 11 and badged you up. So you vid 10 needs another go but you killed 11!
MEDALS OF HONOR
*OBVIOUS SKILL: This lick is very tricky for some and you burn through it with no
issues. You didn't even break a sweat. Not even a contorted guitar face!!
*PICK ANGLE: The angle of the pick as it hits the strings is one of the critical
elements for any player. You've found a good angle and are getting very consistentpick strikes on everything you play. Nice!
*COMBO KILL: Many of these drills require many techniques to be applied at once.This is one of them. Requires solid muting, picking, traverse, and articulation. You'vemade great progress on all these.

In upcoming Missions, there are several drills to master for each Mission. I don't see these being a problem for you. Well played on this one. You just.. LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Sarge
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Dec 10 2018, 10:05 AM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 11 2018, 04:35 AM

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Dec 11 2018, 03:12 PM
Learning Roadie
10 should be correct video this time

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 12 2018, 02:09 AM
Truly Impressive Soldier. This lick is a real finger twister. Folks often struggle a bit on this. Not so with you. Per usual, calm grace under pressure. No wincing, no guitar face, just calm confidence. Nice. Let's Debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR
1.)LET'S TWIST: This is a true finger twister. It does a complicated bit of finger torture on the way up and on the way down. This is to prepare you for the full scale version of this lick which is yet to come.

2.)NEVER A MISS: Didn't miss a note. One miss and the whole thing falls apart, just like most of these. They are built to to make any mistakes stick out. No mistakes. Nice.
3.)PRECISION DRIVE: Your precision continues to increase with each and every mission Soldier. Keep it up!!!!
Very impressive work on this. You SLAYED it and ...
LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Sarge
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Dec 11 2018, 10:12 AM) *
10 should be correct video this time

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 13 2018, 02:44 AM
MISSION 12 DEBRIEF

Well Fought Soldier!!! This one is all about the slide and alt picking. We will use upslides and down slides in future missions. You'll be in good shape for those and for everything that's on deck from the looks of it. You are a very adept player and are ripping a swath through these starter missions! You graduate to the next level of difficulty in at 13 and you are right next to it. Let's Debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

*SLIP SLIDING AWAY- The slide is at the core of this lick. You show a very deft hand on the downslide on every string. It's a very handy technique that Steve Vai uses to great effect. Try using it on your solo work as well.

*ALT PICKING- Non stop alt picking on this and you show great dexterity in execution here. Nice!

*SINGLE STRING WORK - This is non stop single string work and you have no problem with it. There are some trickly single string bits coming up but I don't think those will stress you too badly.

Your ripping a path of Destruction Soldier!! Keep it up!! You just..

LEVELED UP!!!!!
*You are currently making the most progress of anyone in bootcamp. Keep at it!!
Attached Image

Sarge

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Jan 2 2019, 08:12 PM
Learning Roadie

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:34 PM