2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Top 5 Guitar Influences?
Grmo
Jul 6 2010, 03:47 PM
GMC:er
I know there was already one of these, but it was 3 years ago, so I though't I'd see what people would say now. This list should not be affected by how good you think the players are.

Here's my list, from most influencial to least(although the top 5 for any of us are probably hugely influencial, as they are with me), with the band that I had in mind:

1) Pat Metheny (Pat Metheny Group), for a) his soloing, which inspired me to learn about alternate and exotic scales to use in solos (such as chromatic or whole tone based licks in a normal chord), and b ) for his compositional style, which helped me learn how to vary rhythms and progressions in a whole new way. He also inspired me to take a much more creative approach to composing.

2) Michael Romeo (Symphony X), for both his rhythm and lead playing, which affected my style a lot. I was most strongly affected by his tapping arpegios, which I think can sound really cool with the right tone.

3) Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom), for his dark playing style, interesting rhythms, and sometimes very creative playing (although the fact that he plays with only an EMG at the bridge is kind of lame).

4) Marty Friedman (Megadeth), because I've always loved how he's able to break free from the metal environment that he's playing in and just be completely free in his solos, which are brilliantly fluid and very creative.

5) Adam Jones (Tool), whose overdriven but still clear tone has influenced my sound a lot. His use of artificial harmonics and dynamics showed me that guitar playing can still be great without having much to do with techniquem though he can be a very technical player. He, and Tool overall, introduced me to an entirely new world of rhythm overlapping. See "The Grudge" off of Lateralus, where, near the end, they overlap several different rhythms that circle around to make one of the most epic crescendos ever.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiR1hmpk-x4 - starts at about 6:30)

Anyway, that's my list. Please feel free to share yours.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rain
Jul 6 2010, 04:24 PM
1. Satoshi Katada
2. Takayoshi Ohmura
3. Syu (Galneryus)
4. Gentaro Satomura
5. Panther CV (Current Band: Cycle, - From Sex Machineguns)

The order changes over time - but in terms of style - that is the order. Enjoy Youtubing them smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Galneryus [SYU / YUUTO-LEDA] - the GazettE - Sonic Syndicate - Versailles - Sadie - Takayoshi Ohmura - Steve Vai - MintJam - Sex Machineguns - Gentaro Satomura - CYCLE - Paul Gilbert - X Japan - Disturbed

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Jul 6 2010, 04:33 PM
Instructor
in any particular order:

Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Page
John Frusciante
Billy Gibbons
SRV

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jul 6 2010, 04:42 PM
Instructor
most influential, no particular order:

- Steve Vai
- John Petrucci
- Vinnie Moore
- Alexi Laiho
- Michael Romeo

I also enjoy:

- Joe Satriani
- Yngwie Malmsteen
- SRV
- Marty Friedman
- Jason Becker
- Kristian Niemann

* Among many others...

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Staffy
Jul 6 2010, 04:50 PM
Learning Tone Master
I hardly never listens to guitar-players anymore, cause most of them bores me... tongue.gif
But in the old days it was:

Scofield
Metheny
Hendrix
Gary Moore
SRV
Ritchie Blackmore
(yeah, I know there is six, but I couldn't left any out)

in no particular order.

However, its hard to tell which are the most influential, since I never tried to copy none of them. I also listened to some 50 other guitar players as well. There was no transcriptions or tape recorders with half-speed around in the 70'ths, so people just played stuff similar to what they heard. (which in most cases was completely wrong, but maybe thats a reason for why all players back then had their own style)

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Chowy Fernandez
Jul 6 2010, 05:31 PM
steve vai
shawn lane
greg howe
marty friedman
dimebag darrel

for me theres a top 20 or more than that haha

joe satriani, guthrie govan, jimy hendrix, srv, jimmi page, alex skolnick, blues saraceno,
ritchie kotzen, slash, van halen, gilmour, vernon reid, mattias ia eklundh, scot henderson,
nuno bettencourt, robert fripp, michael lee firkins, mike stern, robben ford,
eric johnson, john petrucci, michael romeo, kiko loureiro, alex hutchings,
gary moore, jason becker, malmsteen, blackmore, etc etc

i agree with staffy, the influences are one thing, then you got to take it to another
level, a level of own personality and atitude. that´s the hardest and the cool one!!

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Jul 6 2010, 05:52 PM
Learning Tone Master
When I was first shown instrumental music, it was Cacophony and Marty Friedman I heard. The way he phrase things and plays things and everything was the reason I really got into guitar playing, and is probably one of the reasons I am still playing, and didn't give up when things first got hard (thats what she said). So Marty Friedman probably tops my list.
The other four? I guess it would be, in no particular order:
Kiko Loureiro
Greg Howe
Buckethead
Devin Townsend

But really, I find inspiration in all kinds of music. I love folk music from around the world, and tries to snatch things that sounds interesting into my own playing, without really copying anything or anyone.
biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Jul 6 2010, 05:54 PM

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jul 6 2010, 06:00 PM
Jazz Instructor
Al di Meola, Santana, Zoran Starcevic, John Petrucci and Luiz Bonfa.

+Quote Post
superize
Jul 6 2010, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Well....

1. Syu
2. Alexi Laiho
3. Lian Gerbino(Had to put him in there he has meant so much for my guitar playing)
4. Yngwie Malmsteen
5. Jari Määnpä(Wintersun)

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 6 2010, 07:56 PM
Learning Tone Master
We already have a thread like this one somewhere...
(in no particular order)

Lead:
-Jeff Loomis
-Syu
-Slash
-Kirk Hammett
-Zakk Wylde

Rythm:
-Kerry King
-Max Cavalera
-James Hetfield
-Jon Schaffer
-Mark Morton

Overall guitarists (leads and rythm):
-Dimebag Darrel
-Michael Amott
-Dave Mustaine
-Robb Flynn
-Michael Akerfeldt

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
shredmaster1393
Jul 6 2010, 10:35 PM
my top 5 are :

1.John Frusciante
2.Carlos Santana
3.Jimi Hendrix
4.Steve Vai
5.Eric clapton

--------------------
its not what you take with you, but what you leave behind that defines greatness
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[font="Impact"

[size="5"][/size]

+Quote Post
Grmo
Jul 6 2010, 11:10 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jul 6 2010, 06:56 PM) *
We already have a thread like this one somewhere...

Yeah, but it's really old, so I made this one.

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Jul 6 2010, 11:38 PM
Learning Rock Star
1. John Petrucci / Dream Theater
How they use theory and extreme musicianship to compose and perform very complex and melodic pieces, and also act as a great motivation, keeping in touch with their fans, especially keyboard player Jordan Rudess.

2. Marcus Lavendell
His vibrato is amazing, even more tasty than Yngwie Malmsteen's, and personally I think his composition is much more melodic, even though it isn't purely based on the Baroque era.

3. Slash
Although he really is one of the guitarists that got me into the instrument, his way of creating amazing solos and melodies without using any fancy techniques shows that no matter how insane a shredder you are, you do need to think this through to create "good" music.

4. Yngwie Malmsteen
Although his music can get tedious after a while, it's incredible how his technique permits him to play clearly with low output pickups, and without using too many effects. Extremely many pieces are just wonderful, and as I enjoy listening to classical music, this music is very inspirational.

5. Øystein Sollesnes
This fellow Norwegian is not only an extremely skilled guitar player technique-wise, but also knows a huge lot of theory, is skilled at composing, and has generally helped me since I started here on GMC. And that's what influence is all about.

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jul 6 2010, 11:50 PM
Learning Roadie
Funtwo (Jay Lim) - His Canon Rock version inspired me to start guitar!
Many of you GMC instructors! I don't wanna leave anybody out that have been an influence. wink.gif
Neil Zaza - His "I'm Alright" was my first song to start string-skipping on
Keith Wayett - his DVD on guitar helped me get started
Joe Satriani - can't think of anybody else but this guy right now biggrin.gif

These aren't really in order, but they have definitely been an influence! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 7 2010, 12:18 AM
[quote name='Rain' date='Jul 6 2010, 11:24 AM' post='489690']
1. Satoshi Katada
2. Takayoshi Ohmura
3. Syu (Galneryus)
4. Gentaro Satomura
5. Panther CV (Current Band: Cycle, - From Sex Machineguns)

Great list smile.gif I'm a big fan of Japanese Metal myself and didn't know about some of these players. Thanks for the introduction! I'd have CV Panther on my list as well. I love old Sex Machine Guns to this day.

MY LIST TOP 5

Hmm.....

1.)Steve Vai
2.)Paul Gilbert
3.)Joe Satch
4.)Tony McAlpine
5.)CV Panther

CHOWEY: Small world! smile.gif Shawn lane is from my home town of Atlanta, Georgia! It's incredible that players from all over the world have heard of him. He never made a hit record, or sold out, or did anything but play amazing guitar.

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 7 2010, 12:18 AM

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Jul 7 2010, 01:05 AM
Learning Roadie
1. Slash
2. Jimi Hendrix
3. Zakk Wylde
4. SRV
5. Nuno Bettencourt..

That´s all folks!

+Quote Post
JamesT
Jul 7 2010, 02:54 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
Jimmy Page
Van Halen
Joe Satriani
Santana
SRV

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 7 2010, 03:53 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
01. Dave Murray (Iron Maiden)
The first person to make me really listen and understand the guitar - And in the process - Make me analyze and study music in a much more personal (and analytical) sense. His tone is as legendary as Iron Maiden itself, And his sense of melody, composition, structure, are all just beautifully well crafted.

02. Marcus Siepen/ Andre Olbrich (Blind Guardian)
Easily on par with Adrian and Dave from Iron Maiden for an immense guitar duo. Since I was about 11-12 years old these guys have always impressed me with an incomprehensible array of melodies. No song is without some catchy and memorable lick or riff, And once I bought "A Night In The Opera" - It really changed the way I view guitar. That album to me is as unique as the band itself, something about its tone, production, and atmosphere just set it apart from everything else in any music scene.

03. Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth)
He taught me that simplicity can be more powerful than complexity if used correctly. I have met him a few times, and he is just a super nice guy, who is way too modest and humble about his abilities. Tone wise he has created and atmosphere around his music that is - to me - 100% original. No band sounds like Opeth, and Opeth sounds like no other band.

04. Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth)
To put it simply, his riffs are impossibly monstrous. His music is melodic, and brutal. He has conceived some incredible stories, and taken some of the world in with it. Emotionally, you can always tell he gives everything a man can give - And puts it in every album. He is a musician who writes for the fans, and not to mention, he is also incredibly nice. He records not too far from my home town, and I have had the pleasure of running into him at shows a few times, Great guy, amazing music.

05. Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon/ Star One/ Guilt Machine)
Since I am a Science Fiction junkie, His music and writing spoke to me immediately. After that, his compositions are simply unparalleled. Ayreon is without a doubt, one of the most unique concept stories any band has done. His guitars are always smooth and creamy, with a tone and air about them that can really convey more than words. His ability to make far-future epics is amazing, And they present topics about humanity, personality, and reality in a way that no other musician has done.

No order really, except for #1 smile.gif

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 7 2010, 06:12 AM
With occasional blips, your basic guitar god bores me to tears.

I will tell you someone I think really can play guitar. I was an early member, so he is newer to me.

Lucio Antolini

Every time I see him do a lesson I think "man can he play". You know, playing is a lot more than just this "oh I am fast look at me how technically skilled I am crap". Yawn. It is when a guy has that kind of feel, such as with Lucio, that you really have quality.

I looked at his bio, I see he is well respected in his country, my eyes and ears did not deceive me.

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jul 7 2010, 03:14 PM
Instructor
oh yeah, Kiko Loureiro, Greg Howe and Guthrie Govan!!

G3!! G3!!G3!!G3!!G3!!G3!!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:40 PM