Organising my Practice
mattacuk
Jan 18 2007, 03:57 AM
Lets go fishing!
OK, so I practice daily and am very willing to put the hard work in. But I still find i do not know how to organise my study time well. I have watched the Metronme, Speed Picking and How to pratice amoungst other videos. But I would like to know just how much time i should spend metronmeing daily. Should I be practicing any specific patterns in order to get my speed up? Also, should i start my practice with say playing scales then move onto something else? I feel I need some structured advise !

many thanks smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Jan 18 2007, 04:00 AM

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Jan 18 2007, 04:15 AM
In the "How to practice" lesson it says to spend about 1/3 technique, 1/3 jammin/improv/testin licks over backin track and 1/3 learning new stuff.

That is a pretty good standard I guess.

Myself I am a bit irregular. I like to test and learn different things. Some days I will just learn a truckload of new stuff and other days I will play pentatonics and pentatonic shifts up and down all night (almost) and like today and yesterday I've been pretty much only been practicing my tapping technique (which is comin along nicely, thank you very much).

Ok so I ramble alot, hence my already rather high post count, but that's just who I am. But my somewhat lost point is.. Practicing is individual! You have to come up with your own workout. Divide the time, do some excersices (god I hate that word) and scales and then improv with the scales/techniques you've been workin on and so forth.

Sorry if I gave you nothin'

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 18 2007, 04:18 PM
GMC Founder
I get this question alot - since the idea here is for you to develop a guitar style of your own - I really suggest you get a routine which works for you personally - taking important aspects into consideration (metronome, how to practice lesson). Anything which makes you want to practice everyday is good enough.

So there is no right answer here - but it would be truly interesting to see what routine others have had with the lessons.

kris

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:58 PM