9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Jer Mtp, Upload thread
lcsdds
Feb 25 2009, 03:46 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Welcome Jer. smile.gif Go ahead and read the first post in the main thread and also read about the first weeks assignments in that thread as well. Let me know if you have any questions. Please keep all your posts in this thread so I can keep everything clean and easy to navigate in the main thread. Great to have you aboard and LETS ROCK!. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Feb 25 2009, 03:47 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Woohoo!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
jer
Feb 25 2009, 04:22 PM
GMC:er
Jer 36 yrs old. Husband, Dad, Friend, Metalhead!!!!!

IT’S NEVER TOO LATE TO BUCKLE DOWN AND ACTUALLY LEARN TO PLAY!

Right?

RIGHT!!!!!

My story isn’t that much different than many other that I’ve read here. I’ve been playing off and on for years. Almost 20 years. Yet I would get smoked by guys who have been playing for 1 year under the right teacher. For the most part I’m self taught. I’ve dabbled in a few different lesson programs but didn’t stick with any of them. The most I’ve ever accomplished via any real study was my run through the MTP pilot program with Can (Enforcer). That went VERY well and I’m happy to be back here and working with more MTP students and instructors.

As a fulltime husband, dad, friend, employee, etc I don’t have hours and hours to play guitar. It’s not my only hobby and I wouldn’t be happy if it was. I like lots of things and that wont change. What I do need though is direction and a plan that will work for ME. To keep my playing moving forward. I’m not in a big hurry. I play on spending at least another 60 years on this planet, (if the rest of humanity doesn’t blow it up first) so I have time. As long as I am moving forward I’ll be succeeding. It’s a journey. One that I have the patience for.

I play guitar in a progressive metal band as well. We’re currently un-named. I hold down the rhythm guitar slot and am trying to get into writing but that’s been a real challenge….

I’ve always appreciated the right notes at the right time. Feel. Soul. Emotion. Gripping. These are the words that I’d use to describe the most meaningful pieces. Solos that make you tell everyone in the car to shut up so you can hear it.

Some of my favorite lead guitar bits.

Judas Priest (Glenn Tipton) “Beyond The Realms of Death”

Solo starts at 3:04

To me this kind of solo is just the best. Lots of feeling. Cool licks. Follows and fits the song perfectly. Not too much, not too little.

Opeth (Mikael Akerfeldt) ”Windowpane”

Solo at 1:20 and 5:16

Just gorgeous. Again, heaps and heaps of emotion. How can you not stop and listen to this. All the right notes….

Bruce Dickinson (Roy Z) “Gates of Urizen”

Fill at 1:15

Solo stats at 2:28

Melodic.

1-What is your level of theory knowledge? – basic. I understand it but haven’t done much application of it.

Do you know your diatonic and pentatonic boxes? – Some. I have learned them before. But I easily forget them since I don’t use them.

Do you know your triads? – not really. I have learned them probably 4-5 times now but didn’t use it. Don’t use it = lose it.

2-Do you know how to count rhythms along with a metronome? - yes

Do you practice with a metronome? No. And I know I should.

3-If you could play any lesson on GMC what would it be? I don’t know. I don’t really have a specific piece of music in mind. My goal isn’t to be able to mimic others. But create my own awesomeness!

4-Give me a brief introduction about yourself and what you are hoping to get out of this MTP program. A foundation for continued learning. Learning what works for ME. So I can continue my journey.

For the record. Going forward I will refer to the metronome as the "KAZ-BOX".

tongue.gif

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Feb 25 2009, 05:21 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (jer @ Feb 25 2009, 04:22 PM) *
Jer 36 yrs old. Husband, Dad, Friend, Metalhead!!!!!

IT’S NEVER TOO LATE TO BUCKLE DOWN AND ACTUALLY LEARN TO PLAY!

Right?

RIGHT!!!!!

My story isn’t that much different than many other that I’ve read here. I’ve been playing off and on for years. Almost 20 years. Yet I would get smoked by guys who have been playing for 1 year under the right teacher. For the most part I’m self taught. I’ve dabbled in a few different lesson programs but didn’t stick with any of them. The most I’ve ever accomplished via any real study was my run through the MTP pilot program with Can (Enforcer). That went VERY well and I’m happy to be back here and working with more MTP students and instructors.

As a fulltime husband, dad, friend, employee, etc I don’t have hours and hours to play guitar. It’s not my only hobby and I wouldn’t be happy if it was. I like lots of things and that wont change. What I do need though is direction and a plan that will work for ME. To keep my playing moving forward. I’m not in a big hurry. I play on spending at least another 60 years on this planet, (if the rest of humanity doesn’t blow it up first) so I have time. As long as I am moving forward I’ll be succeeding. It’s a journey. One that I have the patience for.

I play guitar in a progressive metal band as well. We’re currently un-named. I hold down the rhythm guitar slot and am trying to get into writing but that’s been a real challenge….

I’ve always appreciated the right notes at the right time. Feel. Soul. Emotion. Gripping. These are the words that I’d use to describe the most meaningful pieces. Solos that make you tell everyone in the car to shut up so you can hear it.

Some of my favorite lead guitar bits.

Judas Priest (Glenn Tipton) “Beyond The Realms of Death”

Solo starts at 3:04

To me this kind of solo is just the best. Lots of feeling. Cool licks. Follows and fits the song perfectly. Not too much, not too little.

Opeth (Mikael Akerfeldt) ”Windowpane”

Solo at 1:20 and 5:16

Just gorgeous. Again, heaps and heaps of emotion. How can you not stop and listen to this. All the right notes….

Bruce Dickinson (Roy Z) “Gates of Urizen”

Fill at 1:15

Solo stats at 2:28

Melodic.

1-What is your level of theory knowledge? – basic. I understand it but haven’t done much application of it.

Do you know your diatonic and pentatonic boxes? – Some. I have learned them before. But I easily forget them since I don’t use them.

Do you know your triads? – not really. I have learned them probably 4-5 times now but didn’t use it. Don’t use it = lose it.

2-Do you know how to count rhythms along with a metronome? - yes

Do you practice with a metronome? No. And I know I should.

3-If you could play any lesson on GMC what would it be? I don’t know. I don’t really have a specific piece of music in mind. My goal isn’t to be able to mimic others. But create my own awesomeness!

4-Give me a brief introduction about yourself and what you are hoping to get out of this MTP program. A foundation for continued learning. Learning what works for ME. So I can continue my journey.

For the record. Going forward I will refer to the metronome as the "KAZ-BOX".

tongue.gif

Nice Jer! Between you, me and Dan we have the 80's well represented!! Look forward to working with you and I have a feeling that you and the "KAZ-BOX" are gonna be great friends. laugh.gif I have a feeling the "KAZ-BOX" is gonna be featured on the GMC funnies at some point. laugh.gif

We love ya KAZ!! smile.gif

So Jer, my first assignment for you in addition to what we are all doing as a group. I going to be this:

I want you to pick 2 techniques that you want to improve on and I am going to write you a couple of simple licks using 16th notes, quintuplets (groups of five) and triplets. Your assingment is going to be to spend 5 minutes a day on each lick and post a video of you playing it in time with the "KAZ-BOX".

Let me know what techniques you want the excercises in. Get to work my man!! smile.gif

This post has been edited by lcsdds: Feb 25 2009, 05:31 PM

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Feb 25 2009, 05:23 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
WAAAAAAAHHH!!! Hahaha, I wish I would have shut this big mouth up tongue.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Feb 25 2009, 05:32 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Feb 25 2009, 05:23 PM) *
WAAAAAAAHHH!!! Hahaha, I wish I would have shut this big mouth up tongue.gif

"KAZ-BOX" sounds way cooler than metronome. smile.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
jer
Feb 25 2009, 05:48 PM
biggrin.gif

Of course now I have "Rockin the Kaz Box, Rockin the Kaz-Box" stuck in my head.....

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Feb 25 2009, 11:18 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Jer,
I've been thinking about what to do with you. laugh.gif I don't think you are in the same place Dan is right now as far as where you want your playing to go. Maybe I am wrong and you can tell me if I am. Here are my 2 goals for you:

1-I want you to learn how to "rock the KAZ-BOX".
This will enable you to play all those Priest and Iron Maiden solos that you can play "except for the fast licks".

2-I want you to learn your scales and triads and start using them in creating your own "awesomeness". laugh.gif

How we go about this is up to you. If you want to show me a solo you want to learn to play I will teach you how to break it down and use the Kaz-Box so that you can play it.

Here in my mind is your problem. You practice inefficiently. That's it. You practice either to a backing track, which is fine when you can slow it down like a GP tab or whatever but you try to practice the whole solo or most of the solo and then screw up in the exact same spot and then start all the way at the beginning and repeat. What you need to do is ISOLATE the lick that is causing you problems and just work on that separately.

I'm gonna show you exactly what I want you to do and if you don't do it I'm gonna come to Iowa and shove a milk bone up your butt and an hungry dog down your throat!! laugh.gif laugh.gif You WILL play a solo that you have always wanted to play, and up to tempo, before I am done with you.

Just let me know what solo you want to work on and we'll start breaking it down and I'll show you how to I want you to start "ROCKING THE KAZ-BOX" with it!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
jer
Feb 26 2009, 04:03 AM
Here be this weeks video.

Milk bones and hungry dogs eh?

Sounds... Interesting. You guys get real bored way out there in Oregon eh?

smile.gif

I'm gonna go with "Electric Eye" by Judas Priest.

Its got a few different cool licks in it.

Here is a live version. Solo starts at 2:17 or so.

I'm gonna need some red leather pants.....

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Feb 26 2009, 04:10 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Jer did you notice you were economy picking the A major Ionian shape when aescending? You started with a downstroke everytime you changed strings. No big deal, just wanted you to be aware of it. Actually we do get bored out here in Oregon. Nothing but trees to hug and squirrels to kiss. laugh.gif laugh.gif

"Electric Eye" it is!! So do you happen to have a GP tab on this that maybe you have been working from? If not see if you can locate one and email it to me, you have my address. I'll look it over and show you how I want you to break it down. How much time do you have realistically to practice each day? I don't want to overwhelm you and I want to give you a realistic schedule. Thanks buddy and way to rock the Kaz-Box!! smile.gif

This post has been edited by lcsdds: Feb 26 2009, 04:17 AM

+Quote Post
jer
Feb 26 2009, 05:29 AM
I want you to pick 2 techniques that you want to improve on and I am going to write you a couple of simple licks using 16th notes, quintuplets (groups of five) and triplets. Your assingment is going to be to spend 5 minutes a day on each lick and post a video of you playing it in time with the "KAZ-BOX".

I'd say any solo cliche lines would be good. Ones that use multiple strings. That and hammer ons and pull offs.

QUOTE (jer @ Feb 25 2009, 10:18 PM) *
I'd say any solo cliche lines would be good. Ones that use multiple strings. That and hammer ons and pull offs.

Jer did you notice you were economy picking the A major Ionian shape when aescending?

No... I don't know what economy picking is. biggrin.gif

Schedule? Tough to say. One day I can do an hour, the next I'm go go go from the time I get home til 8:30pm.... Then I'm beat.

Or I have band practice right after supper and I'm home at 10pm....

I can always get in a few 1hr sessions on the weekends. Weekdays are real hit or miss....

Squeezing in 15-20 min on a weeknight isnt unrealistic 2-3 times a week.

Jer did you notice you were economy picking the A major Ionian shape when ascending?
I went back and watched it, yeah, I see what you mean now.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Feb 26 2009, 05:33 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (jer @ Feb 26 2009, 05:21 AM) *

No... I don't know what economy picking is. biggrin.gif

Schedule? Tough to say. One day I can do an hour, the next I'm go go go from the time I get home til 8:30pm.... Then I'm beat.

Or I have band practice right after supper and I'm home at 10pm....

I can always get in a few 1hr sessions on the weekends. Weekdays are real hit or miss....

Squeezing in 15-20 min on a weeknight isnt unrealistic 2-3 times a week.

We'll go over economy picking later. Your killing me smalls!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

Alright Jer, if you can commit 20 min a night to learning this solo I'll show you how to do it but you are gonna need plenty of batteries for your Kaz-Box!! laugh.gif Obviously more than 20 minutes would be cool but if you can at least commit to that I will get you to where you can play that bad boy. You are gonna have to get the red leather pants yourself though. Although I think Dan might have some he's not using anymore, you'll have to check with him!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

Are you on board dude?

+Quote Post
jer
Feb 26 2009, 05:39 AM
Tell me what your strengths are as far as lead. Are you better at legato or alternate picking. Are you interested in getting better at tapping, sweeping etc. I know you have limited time to practice and I don't want to waste your time trying to get you to do things you don't want to.

I really don't know... I don't feel I have any strengths. I have managed to play a few things but I dont think I have strengths per se.

Legato? I've seen that word used so many different ways you'd have to define it. I think its a very improperly used term.

Tapping? I wouldnt mind some. Electric Eye has a tapping lick in it. Its not a technique I would use often though.

Sweeping? Not so much. That (to me anyway) only sounds right in very high tempo stuff. And I'm not really headed there.

Really, just syncing up the hands and getting past the "walk fast" speeds is a good target. Being able to play faster than I can now.

Here is another example of the kind of soloing I like.

2:13

Firewind - I Am The Anger

Are you on board dude?

Oh yeah. No problem here.

I'm shooting low. I'd like to have more time. And I likely will. But I don't want to overstate things. Like this weekend we have company coming again. Wife's niece and nephew, their wives/husbands & kids.... Very little practice time. I have to entertain. sad.gif

I'm in no hurry. You wont hear me complaining that we aren't moving fast enough. Its my schedule that limits me. Not yours.

Damn job..... That'd free up 9hrs real quick!!!!

smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Feb 26 2009, 05:55 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
If the firewind tune is the kind of soloing you like I would say you are wanting to shred!! laugh.gif

Alright Jer so here is what I would like you to do. I am gonna send you the tab for the priest solo via email. In the tab you are gonna see that I have broken the solo up into several different licks. You are gonna learn to phrase the licks separately and with just you, your axe and the Kaz-Box. First thing you are gonna do is memorize the licks. Once you memorize them you are gonna take them to your Kaz-Box and work them up to tempo. I'll post again tomorrow and tell you which lick we are gonna start with tomorrow. For this first solo I want you to only work on the lick I have assigned you and as you get one memorized and can work on it with the Kaz-Box we'll add another one. I am gonna walk you through this first solo slowly. Talk to you tomorrow buddy. smile.gif

BTW, since you are time challenged we are gonna be as efficient as possible so if you don't have a timer I want you to get one please. smile.gif

+Quote Post
jer
Feb 26 2009, 06:00 AM
works for me.

Attached Image

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Feb 26 2009, 06:16 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (jer @ Feb 26 2009, 06:00 AM) *
works for me.

Attached Image

Dude....If that is a WRITTEN practice schedule then you and I are gonna get along GREAT!! smile.gif Looks like you are ready to roll. I'll get you your tab and your first lick tomorrow. smile.gif

+Quote Post
jer
Feb 26 2009, 01:19 PM
Oh no, thats an episode guide to Penn and Teller's show BULL$HIT.

Great show!!!!!

Still, I think we'll be ok.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Feb 26 2009, 08:06 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Jer,
So I emailed you a GP file of the "electric eye" solo. You'll notice that I labeled all the fast parts lick 1, lick 2 etc., I think there are 5 of them.

So I am gonna learn this bad boy with you. First thing I want you to do is to learn the first 2 licks that I have labeled. Both of them are phrased as 8th note triplets (3 notes per beat). I know you know you can count those with your Kaz-Box because I saw your assignment video last night where you played the A major Ionian box in triplets. smile.gif

What I want to see you do is learn the first 2 licks and try and figure the number of KU's you can play them at CLEANLY. This will be our baseline tempo and we'll build from there. I'm gonna learn them as well. If you have extra time you can learn the other 3 licks and figure out what your top CLEAN speed is in KU's as well. tongue.gif We're not gonna worry about the bending and slower licks at this point. I know you can bend and play the slower stuff just fine. We are gonna focus on the shred licks and get you to where you can play them. smile.gif

Should we get a "whoa bundy"? laugh.gif

This post has been edited by lcsdds: Feb 26 2009, 08:26 PM

+Quote Post
jer
Feb 26 2009, 08:24 PM
Sounds good. I'll dive into this tonight.

\m/ \m/

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
jer
Feb 27 2009, 02:00 AM
ok. Bars 1 and 2 make sense. Triplets throughout. No prob. I'm at 90. 95 and I start messing it up.... This is a real pinky workout too. Which is good.

Bars 3 and 4. How do I tell by looking at the tab where the notes fall? Bars 1 and 2 are easy. Bar 3 that first note has a dot next to it. What does that mean? Is that note counts 1-3 and the next note is a quarter note? (4)

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:03 PM