Great New Guitar! With Buzz Problems.
Nidron
Jul 8 2009, 12:22 PM
GMC:er
Hi GMC:ers, I just imported a guitar from Japan via eBay. It's an Edwards (ESP) E-FR-130GT, red, forest model.
Both looks and sounds great!

Apart from getting used to my first floyd rose guitar, I have problems with buzz. I know this is not a technicians' forum, but i just wonder if you have any tips for me?

Usually the buzz you hear about is on open strings, or a single high fret, but I got buzz more or less on all string from the 15th to the 24th fret. It's noticeable when I play on the neck pickup, when sweep picking in particular... Sounds bad.
So I tried giving the neck as much relief as possible, and the truss rod won't go any longer without using force, you don't wanna force it of course...
Also i tried adjusting the bridge, it is quite high, and the action too...

Any suggestions?
I've began to think that maybe it's my GT-10 that plays tricks on me :/

Thankful for answers smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 8 2009, 12:27 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hmm could be many different things...I would take that guitar to a tech so he can set it up for you. Guitar made a long trip and it affected it for sure (if it wasn't like that originally). Just buy new strings and take it to the tech so he can see what is the problem.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 8 2009, 01:04 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Sounds like too much neck relief.
Measure it up closely and make the neccessary adjustments. Always start by looseing the tension.

BUT! There could be a real problem here, when you have buzz only above the heel; like you said frets 15 and up. Which won't respond to truss rod adjustment.

If the trussrod have reached it's full adjustment, try adding thicker strings (to add more force) or lighter strings for the opposite. That would give you a second shot with the truss rod.

...is the neck above the heel aligned with the body or does it run up/downwards?

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jul 8 2009, 01:10 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
I definitely recommend a proper setup by a technician. I had a similar problem with one of my guitars that I could not figure out. I took it to a pro, and it was like a whole new guitar when I got it back!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
superize
Jul 8 2009, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
When i got my new guitsr i alos had problem withh fret buzz....

I just took it to a guitar tech and the problem was solved

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
FilipofCroatia
Jul 8 2009, 09:19 PM
Learning Rock Star
I had an edwards jp relic from japan

Cool little guitar

But that was the problem for me, it was little - i failed to notice when ordering that it was a 3/4 size!!!

I sold it a few months later but it felt real nice

Do edwards actually do full size or do they cater only for small oriental rockers lol?

I couldnt find a full size one

Hope your buzz problem is solved soon

+Quote Post
Nidron
Jul 8 2009, 10:32 PM
Thanks for your answers, guys smile.gif
Agreed, the best solution is just handing the guitar to a tech.
Thing is, I just paid 50 bucks for a set-up of the guitar. When I came home and played it, I thouht hmm, the high tones are buzzing. So I messed around with the nut, making it actually buzz for real.

After a very close look/listen I can now say that the buzz is in fact the floyd rose bridge rattling (!) sad.gif I've tightened everything, so I think maybe it's the saddles. I really don't wanna pay another 50 bucks to fix this. I mean.. it can be fixed, right? It's original, not licenced.
Tried tightening all the screws, didn't help.
So once again, any tips?

As for Edwards, yes they do make full scale guitars. I would've been pretty shocked if it turned out to be small when I opened the case! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 8 2009, 10:36 PM
If you paied for a setup already and it wasn't satisfactory you should complain.

+Quote Post
Nidron
Jul 8 2009, 10:47 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jul 8 2009, 10:36 PM) *
If you paied for a setup already and it wasn't satisfactory you should complain.

Agreed. But first I asked for a full setup and they wanted like 110 bucks and I said no way.. So it was like a specific setup and they kinda did what I asked for... Well maybe I'll go back when I'm back in town smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 8 2009, 11:56 PM
Instructor
Take it to guitar tech to inspect it, polish (level) the frets, adjust the truss rod and measure it nicely. You'll save yourself a lot of headache believe me.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 9 2009, 12:25 AM
QUOTE (Nidron @ Jul 8 2009, 11:47 PM) *
Agreed. But first I asked for a full setup and they wanted like 110 bucks and I said no way.. So it was like a specific setup and they kinda did what I asked for... Well maybe I'll go back when I'm back in town smile.gif

Was that Jam? I belive Nysse (Ugglas old guitarist) is a bit cheaper, not much though.

But still, if the buzz wasn't there from the start and it was there after they adjusted it it's a crystal clear case.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 9 2009, 12:32 AM
Learning Tone Master
Holy cows! 50 bucks for 15 minutes of adjusting?

My guitar store does it for free with any guitar bought from there or 15Euros for a foreign guitar!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Nidron
Jul 9 2009, 11:42 AM
Yeah, it was Jam.
I don't even have the energy to bother going there to complain, or ever going there with my guitar again.
Next week I'm going to take it to this guy, by recommendation. He seems great.
http://www.guyguitars.com/

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 9 2009, 01:43 PM
QUOTE (Nidron @ Jul 9 2009, 12:42 PM) *
Yeah, it was Jam.
I don't even have the energy to bother going there to complain, or ever going there with my guitar again.
Next week I'm going to take it to this guy, by recommendation. He seems great.
http://www.guyguitars.com/

Paul Guy writes tech articles in FUZZ magazine, he's been around forever playing around with guitars so that'd be a safe bet.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:25 PM