First Shred Distortion Pedal
Mertay
Jul 17 2016, 02:55 PM
GMC:er
Many times Todd and I (I got the tip from him) recommended a boost (clean boost or OD pedal) pedal before a distortion pedal to get that shredable distortion. Info on such approach isn't very common when googled and not all pedals get along with a boost pedal (can get fuzzy, noisey or uncontrolable).

So I finally borrowed my friends Boss md-2 pedal, this pedal has built in boost. The boost does seem to cut the lows which is very cool (as thats what an overdrive does too). While the drive character is almost identical with my MT-2, the overall eq isn't as scooped and sounds a bit bigger. Think if the mt-2 is a ultra dirty mesa, this is a Marshall sharing the same cab. . Not too bad when the drive knobs are set low either(can be used like a ds1 too).

Another detail is I can't use my ts9 to boost the mt-2. Reason is the mt-2 already cuts the low's a lot and as the ts9 does the same thing, neck pickup can sound bridge like. To solve this I'm using a full-range drive pedal but the md-2 (as it doesn't cut much lows) doesn't have this problem and can work with the ts9. Important cause say on stage ts9 is already working, you don't have to turn it off to turn on MD-2.

Its affordable, easy to find used thats why its great for a beginner or someone who's trying to save space on his/her pedalboard.

I did lots of comparison between the mt-2 and md-2 and did prefer the mt-2 with a boost. Its really about the personal little things though.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:29 PM