Pick Help, Big Difference, Big Choice!, A little help on pick choice please!
drummingguitaris...
Oct 23 2007, 10:17 AM
GMC:er
Okay...

So I have been playing guitar for about 4 years, but only seriously for the past year and a half. And I feel pretty confident about my pentatonic minor rock jams and my Lydian blues improv...so now I want to tackle a whole new field of guitar playing to elevate my skills.

Alt. picking/picking runs/shred/sweep!!! AHH!!

First of all, I have NO idea how I pick so I would like to know the difference between alt. and economy style picking, and which is best for playing shred runs, etc. But that's not the major point.

I love Pavel's skill on the alt. picking world lesson, but not necessarily the sound (though it's beautiful, just not my preference) or the writing style. (For my favorite lesson, stacking picking patterns by Kris on ultimate-guitar.com is my favy sound/style.) But what I want to know is that to achieve this kind of skill involves flawless right-left hand coordination...but to successfully coordinate the runs, what pick is most commonly used? I have an idea part is preference, in which case I really like these new picks I got called Snarling Dog Brain Picks....a millimeter thick but have this rough part where the thumb is to where it will NEVER slip, which I love. Is hard picks the way to go, I dunno. So here I am, asking you, GMC, who is much more informed than I! Thanks a lot!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
-->Chris D.<--

My Gear:
Fender DG-xxx Acoustic/Electric
Crate GX-15 series
Ibanez GRG170DX Electric w/ FR Trem
My heart, imagination, hopes, and dreams.

My top 5 influences:
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Carlos Augusto Alves Santana
Saul Hudson (Slash)
Eric Patrick Clapton
Kirk Lee Hammett

thedarkblues06 wrote:

jpast wrote:

He wishes he was in the minority. Nothing like making out with guys to stick it to the man. (Pun intended)
(Off-hand comment made about Pete Wentz wishing he was gay.)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Oct 23 2007, 10:33 AM
Well the difference between alternate and economy picking is...

Alternate picking is constant up down up down with no variations.

Economy picking is variated. It can be up down down up down, down up down up down down up up. etc.
Its pretty much mixing alternate picking with sweeping.

To play shred picking styles could be alternate picking, economy picking, sweep picking, etc.

Read these also it may help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legato
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staccato

About the picks, shredding and playing fast, thin picks and high guaged strings are recommended, but it really doesn't matter. It just makes it easier.

There are also fretboards which are "scalloped" explained here towards the bottom of the page...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fingerboard

This is supposed to reduce friction on yur fingers and the frets/fretboard.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
drummingguitaris...
Oct 23 2007, 10:43 AM
Okay thanks, I'll take a look. I just determined that my fastest CLEANEST runs are eighth note triplets at about 125 BPM. I NEED HELP lol. (That's just straight picking, no hammer-on,pull-off.)

This post has been edited by drummingguitarist06: Oct 23 2007, 10:47 AM

--------------------
-->Chris D.<--

My Gear:
Fender DG-xxx Acoustic/Electric
Crate GX-15 series
Ibanez GRG170DX Electric w/ FR Trem
My heart, imagination, hopes, and dreams.

My top 5 influences:
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Carlos Augusto Alves Santana
Saul Hudson (Slash)
Eric Patrick Clapton
Kirk Lee Hammett

thedarkblues06 wrote:

jpast wrote:

He wishes he was in the minority. Nothing like making out with guys to stick it to the man. (Pun intended)
(Off-hand comment made about Pete Wentz wishing he was gay.)

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Oct 23 2007, 10:47 AM
Don't feel bad i'm not good at shred yet either I LOVE IT but i'm not great at it, so i havea long way to go to be like Mr. Malmsteen and Mr Petrucci laugh.gif . But it all comes with pratice right? Just remember that and if you tell yourself you want to be that good and you force youself to it, it will come. I just happen to have some knowledge about this stuff at this point, I cant shred like crazy yet. laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:32 PM