5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Tonyk - Impro-wise-note Choice Workout :)
tonyk
Feb 7 2014, 01:19 AM
GMC:er
Actually Darius,I withdraw that previous negative remark.If your willing to guide me,I'm going to get this right hand going

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 7 2014, 12:07 PM
Instructor
1. All those changes won't give an ability to play fast immediately - same as any other approach it will need some time and intense, regular pracitice. My point is not the speed but the precision of all strokes at the moment smile.gif

2. Prciticing in front of the mirror is a great idea! smile.gif

3. Be careful with pick choice. Most players use thick picks. I'm a member of minority so it's pretty risky to go for the thin pick...but of course it's worth trying smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
tonyk
Feb 7 2014, 08:02 PM
I'll practise a line with these changes slowly and send you a vid for your observations.Thanks.
Where were we going with these licks re improv?

+Quote Post
tonyk
Feb 16 2014, 07:57 AM

Hey Darius. Made short vid of me trying to implement your right hand advice.what you think

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 17 2014, 11:59 AM
Instructor
I'm not sure You've noticed. I've made a complex lesson for the right hand. There is a lot of details for all the angles etc. Please chek it out for more info:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Altern...Picking-Basics/

As for Your vid it's a good start smile.gif I would flex the thumb and index finger a bit more so the pick will be angled and You will have an ability to change the angle in both directions. It's like pulling both - thumb and index finger towards the inside of a palm. You will find that the tip of a pick is not directed "in line" with the direction of index finger

+Quote Post
tonyk
Feb 18 2014, 11:17 AM
Will make these changes.thanks

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 18 2014, 03:38 PM
Instructor
Give me a sign if You need any addition help or just post Your progress videos smile.gif I remember when I was changing my pick grip it took me some time to figure out things that I played before but later I could say it was worth it

+Quote Post
tonyk
Feb 18 2014, 09:37 PM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Feb 18 2014, 02:38 PM) *
Give me a sign if You need any addition help or just post Your progress videos smile.gif I remember when I was changing my pick grip it took me some time to figure out things that I played before but later I could say it was worth it

Will do.thanks again

+Quote Post
tonyk
Feb 26 2014, 08:46 PM

Embedded vid as suggested
Looking forward to your advice.Thanks Tony

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 26 2014, 11:16 PM
Instructor
Ok. So let's just fix little details - too much at the same time will not help You at all so...I will point just a few things (not all of the suggestions for this vid) in one post

1. Take a deep breath and be more confident with those 3 enetring notes. Play the harder. Spent a few minutes to organize the picking direction and stick to it (confusion of picking direction is one of the main problems to get precise playing).
For example - I would start from the upstroke. This way You will get first important note (moment where the drums come in) on t5he downstroke, and keep regular motion of the hand. You could also do this with only downstrokes.

2 --- 0:06 - 0:07 - try to keep this note as long as possible. don't mute the sustain. Just move the hand to next note in the last, possible moment. Exactyl the same thing with 0:12 - You cut that beautiful sustain to early smile.gif

Your idea for the first half is one of best things You posted here on GMC. It has colors, melody rhythm concept and dynamics (raking, soft notes, vibrato). I woul keep this part exactly the way it is...only add some little tweaks - precission and it would something really great You made here! smile.gif

+Quote Post
tonyk
Feb 27 2014, 06:13 AM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Feb 26 2014, 10:16 PM) *
Ok. So let's just fix little details - too much at the same time will not help You at all so...I will point just a few things (not all of the suggestions for this vid) in one post

1. Take a deep breath and be more confident with those 3 enetring notes. Play the harder. Spent a few minutes to organize the picking direction and stick to it (confusion of picking direction is one of the main problems to get precise playing).
For example - I would start from the upstroke. This way You will get first important note (moment where the drums come in) on t5he downstroke, and keep regular motion of the hand. You could also do this with only downstrokes.

2 --- 0:06 - 0:07 - try to keep this note as long as possible. don't mute the sustain. Just move the hand to next note in the last, possible moment. Exactyl the same thing with 0:12 - You cut that beautiful sustain to early smile.gif

Your idea for the first half is one of best things You posted here on GMC. It has colors, melody rhythm concept and dynamics (raking, soft notes, vibrato). I woul keep this part exactly the way it is...only add some little tweaks - precission and it would something really great You made here! smile.gif

I really appreciate the time you've taking to help.will redo first chorus with your suggestions and post you a vid.thanks

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 27 2014, 09:31 AM
Instructor
I'm waiting smile.gif You're wellcome - it's nice to see You getting better and better smile.gif

+Quote Post
tonyk
Feb 27 2014, 11:30 AM
Thanks
Increased distortion.More attack on opening notes.Held ending notes longer.

Any better?

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 4 2014, 12:11 AM
Instructor
Well done my friend! This is the smoothness and a bite we need at this beautiful, melodic part! also You did very good job with the long notes smile.gif

Things to work at the moment - legato strength and still the right hand (look a bit frozen when we look at the wrist and fingers) they coul help with some lick by changing the angle. The "frozen" effect is very visible when You try to play the arpeggio.

+Quote Post
tonyk
Mar 4 2014, 07:05 PM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Mar 3 2014, 11:11 PM) *
Well done my friend! This is the smoothness and a bite we need at this beautiful, melodic part! also You did very good job with the long notes smile.gif

Things to work at the moment - legato strength and still the right hand (look a bit frozen when we look at the wrist and fingers) they coul help with some lick by changing the angle. The "frozen" effect is very visible when You try to play the arpeggio.

Thanks Darius.What doe 'frozen' mean.Too much tension?

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 5 2014, 01:33 PM
Instructor
It's hard to say if it is tensed but basicly our hand has a few muscles that help us to get the picking motion. All at the same time - forearm, wrist, fingers. In Your case I see only forearm. This is why Your hand look like frozen...You know,...the artificial palm glued to Your forearm...it doesn't move tongue.gif

For example. You can angle You fingers to reach next string instead of moving whole forearm. But to be able to do this You would have to change Your default fingers angle...so You could do both:
1. Pull them towards the center of a palm to reach lower string
2. Push them completely straight (like You have now) to reach higher strings

Of course the forearm is still invloved, but it make smaller movements

+Quote Post
tonyk
Mar 6 2014, 04:33 AM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Mar 5 2014, 12:33 PM) *
It's hard to say if it is tensed but basicly our hand has a few muscles that help us to get the picking motion. All at the same time - forearm, wrist, fingers. In Your case I see only forearm. This is why Your hand look like frozen...You know,...the artificial palm glued to Your forearm...it doesn't move tongue.gif

For example. You can angle You fingers to reach next string instead of moving whole forearm. But to be able to do this You would have to change Your default fingers angle...so You could do both:
1. Pull them towards the center of a palm to reach lower string
2. Push them completely straight (like You have now) to reach higher strings

Of course the forearm is still invloved, but it make smaller movements

So for the sweeping part of arpeg, is using forearm to move across strings correct then use fingers(circle pick?) when moving back to thicker string? thanks tony

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 6 2014, 03:12 PM
Instructor
No no...it's not so simple to explain. Sweep is a bit different story but also in it's case when going down we change 3 things:

1. Forearm position
2. Wrist angle (just like while playing open chords on acoustic)
3. We use fingers to change pick angle.

If You take a close look at many guru players You will see that while going back to low strings the angle between forearm and wrist increases. Now it should be increased on the start so You're making it straight while going to the higher strings.

+Quote Post
tonyk
Mar 12 2014, 01:39 AM
Hey darius. Hope well. Have inserted quick vid of recent rt hand to see if moving in right direction. thanks Tony

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 12 2014, 10:06 AM
Instructor
You hand angles looks great now! smile.gif I would only add the whole wrist slide down when You go to play on high strings smile.gif Well done Tony!

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:10 PM