Need Some Advice On A New Video Camera
Praetorian
Apr 5 2010, 01:44 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
My camcorder is VERY old. It uses the small tapes to record on. Well, my daughter was going for her belt test in Karate and I recorded the whole thing. When I put it on my computer it looked like crap. The clarity just isn't there. We have decided to get a new camera...but I know nothing about them, and was wondering if I could get some direction. I am not looking for anything complex or with a ton of options. The most important thing by far for us, is picture clarity. We don't need one that also takes great still photos, we have a good digital camera for that. I think the newer ones with an internal hard drive instead of tapes are pretty cool. Are most of them like that today? What would you guys recommend for a video camera that has great picture clarity but isn't going to make me bankrupt to buy?

Thanks!

One more thing...I would like one that is simple to upload to the computer as well.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Apr 5 2010, 02:16 PM
Jazz Instructor
You need HD camera, definitely! Don't worry, they are not very expensive. For amateur use even the less quality models will do the work. For example Canon Vixia models should be ok, I watched samples on youtube, definitely something with wich I would record my holiday.
You have them in 400-800 $ range.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jun 7 2010, 04:21 PM
QUOTE (Vasilije Vukmirovic @ Apr 5 2010, 09:16 AM) *
You need HD camera, definitely! Don't worry, they are not very expensive. For amateur use even the less quality models will do the work. For example Canon Vixia models should be ok, I watched samples on youtube, definitely something with wich I would record my holiday.
You have them in 400-800 $ range.

Anyone have experience with the Vixia HF200? Or the HF20?

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 7 2010, 05:02 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
This is one of the best cameras you can get. Super simple to use, and even simpler to upload. only $200 and shoots HD, I have one (although its the older one) and its amazing. It uses its own little program thats built in to upload, Its as simple as plug in via USB, and just click the "export" button

http://store.theflip.com/en-us/products/UltraHD.aspx

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Jun 7 2010, 05:40 PM
Instructor
i use the hf200 now, and it's amazing!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jun 11 2010, 12:20 AM
Instructor
Excellent quality! (and playing, of course) smile.gif !
Tell me Adrian, which PC configuration u have and have you a problem with editing ?!. It seems to me that I will soon take this camera,but by all the comments, it is necessary to have a strong configuration for AVCHD/mts files !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Jun 11 2010, 03:14 PM
Instructor
Hey sinisa, yeah, this is a little monster, my main pc:

AMD phenom II
8 gigs of ram
2gb external video card
2tb HD

still it is hardcore to edit this files, i use draft quality in vegas to see it in real time, but, draft quality in HD is pretty cool biggrin.gif
on after effects or premiere i have to ram render everything first.

if you have a less powerful pc, just uncompress the file to a large .avi to edit and then render to mt2s or mp4, the only bad thing is that you will HAVE to get a giant HD to handle all the avi files.

hope this helps!

--------------------

-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 12 2010, 03:06 PM
Instructor
I'm not sure what's your budget, but I agree with majority here that you should get a nice HD cam that can record on memory cards or HD. I would prefer memory cards, since you can always buy a bunch of them, and they are easy for handling.
If you are buying a bit cheaper HD camcoder, and plan to use it outdoors and for recording something from your hand, make sure you have optical stabilization of the picture.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Jun 12 2010, 06:11 PM
Instructor
+1 optical is very important, digital stabilization basically sucks smile.gif

--------------------

-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jun 12 2010, 11:48 PM
Instructor
Thanks Adrian, very helpful info wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jun 13 2010, 04:24 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Great playing and Great video Adrian.. How do you get that great quality on YouTube? I don't seem to get that quality.. Is it recorded in full HD, 1080p ?

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Gary
Jun 13 2010, 06:54 AM
GMC:er
Hey Ben,

Like you I have small kids and I found the point and shoot dig cameras did not do a good job of capturing my sons fast action bball and karate stuff. I also hated bringing two cameras with me to certain events (the point and shoot and the video). Although the individual cameras do their primary job okay they are really not good at the other (e.g. still photos on a video camera are usually inferior when compared to still photos from a regular camera). I therefore investigated cameras pretty heavily last month and ended up buying a Canon T2i. It is a 18 mega pixel digital SLR that also shoots full HD movies with unreal clarity. The camera runs about $850 at Costco and although it is not cheap you are basically getting two high end cameras in one (along with outstanding optics). The downside is that digital SLR cameras are not small and a bit of a hassel to lug around.
Food for thought smile.gif

Gary

This post has been edited by Gary: Jun 14 2010, 12:06 AM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 13 2010, 09:09 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Jun 12 2010, 07:11 PM) *
+1 optical is very important, digital stabilization basically sucks smile.gif

Yeah it is but generally all small lightweight camcorders have problems with shooting from the hand (not using tripod) since they are light and optical stabilization can only do small stabilization. Its always nice to get a solder stabilization or some other external "device" for stabilization if you plan to shot videos "from the hand" for extender periods of time.

Regarding topic question, I recommend this camcorder :

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores...9&langId=-1

Its a best buy for me regarding features/quality/price and in that particular category (portable/memory card/HD).

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jun 14 2010, 01:38 AM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jun 13 2010, 04:09 PM) *
Yeah it is but generally all small lightweight camcorders have problems with shooting from the hand (not using tripod) since they are light and optical stabilization can only do small stabilization. Its always nice to get a solder stabilization or some other external "device" for stabilization if you plan to shot videos "from the hand" for extender periods of time.

Regarding topic question, I recommend this camcorder :

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores...9&langId=-1

Its a best buy for me regarding features/quality/price and in that particular category (portable/memory card/HD).

Pretty sweet! But a lot more than I was hoping to spend.

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 14 2010, 05:28 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Jun 14 2010, 02:38 AM) *

Then maybe Kodak ZX1. Just check out if it has all the features you need.

Also something in standard definition:

Panasonic SDR-S7

JVC Everio S GZ-MS120 Flash Memory

Sony DCR-SX30E

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 14 2010, 08:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Jun 14 2010, 02:38 AM) *

Is there an estimated budget my friend? Some figure you kept in mind that you wouldn't go over..

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jun 14 2010, 08:19 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 14 2010, 03:12 PM) *
Is there an estimated budget my friend? Some figure you kept in mind that you wouldn't go over..

Well...it's hard to pin down since I can get most cameras much cheaper on ebay, even brand new ones. I was looking at a Canon Vixia that was selling new for $400-$450 on ebay.

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:10 PM