Buzz When Guitar Is Connected To The Laptop
Vaidya
Aug 29 2010, 12:18 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi guys,
This was the first time I ever connected my guitar to the laptop.When i play a note or strum a chord there is so much buzzing.Will the buzzing be eliminated after the recording is complete? Is the buzz bcos of the in-built speakers or speaker system?
How can I get rid of this buzzing?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
ZakkWylde
Aug 29 2010, 12:23 PM
Learning Tone Master
How did you connect your guitar to the laptop?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 29 2010, 12:30 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
If you're connecting your guitar to a laptop or any computer the guitar needs to use a HiZ insert. If you plug it in to a normal 1/4 inch jack then you will have an impedance mis-match and that can result in lots of buzzing, an elevated noise floor and a very thin and weak sounding signal.

Buzz however can be due to many reasons. It can be an earthing issue, it could be amplified noise across the PC bus, it could be poor cables, it could be a mismatch between unbalanced signals, it could be something else.

Is it possible to remove buzz? Depends on the type, if it's at a constant, fixed frequency then you can notch filter it out with an EQ. If it is more complicated or if it occupied a broad frequency range or one that you can not notch out then you would have to use some form of noise removal software. Those however are not perfect and also tend to be expensive. So ideally what you should do is find out what is causing the buzz and eliminate it before you record.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Vaidya
Aug 29 2010, 12:49 PM
Learning Roadie
I connected my guitar to the amp,then used a cable to connect the recording/phones output to the laptop's mic input.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vaidya
Aug 31 2010, 04:58 PM
Learning Roadie
Now,there is no buzzing when i've connected my amp to the laptop.
But when i play a recorded mp3,the sounds are completely different.

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Sep 2 2010, 02:26 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Connecting directly does create a buzz.. This is probably an earthing issue. I had the same when I didn't have an audio interface.

The best way to connect is put the output of your amp (recording out if it has, not the other out otherwise you will burn it) in to an audio interface which usually connects to computer via USB or FireWire in my case. Footpedals like Line6 can connect directly to the computer via USB.

If you are connecting it directly, it might not give you results you are looking for. smile.gif

I use an Mbox 2 Pro into my Macbook Pro, if you are curios.

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 2 2010, 03:03 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Vaidya @ Aug 31 2010, 05:58 PM) *
Now,there is no buzzing when i've connected my amp to the laptop.

I do hope you're using the right output from your amp. Ext.out or speaker-out (4, 8, 16 Ohm) is wrong, just so you're aware of that.

+Quote Post
Vaidya
Sep 2 2010, 06:06 PM
Learning Roadie
How do I find out the resistance?

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 2 2010, 09:03 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Vaidya @ Sep 2 2010, 07:06 PM) *
How do I find out the resistance?

It usually says on the connection. But the point was to not make a wrong connection. Speaker out from the amp to a line level in on a sound card can fail fataly.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:45 PM