A Bit Of Guidance
Vas Paul Standar...
Dec 4 2012, 10:23 PM
GMC:er
Hey Ben, so i recently grabbed my axe again , really focused once again ( you might remember my old account i had here last year Bill95) i quit playing guitar last May ( cause i was stupid ) so its been like 3 weeks since i grabbed it again. Would you gimme some guidance on what i should focus on? About personal music tastes etc im pretty much the Les Paul - Slash guy.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 5 2012, 09:57 AM
Instructor
Hi man, well my advice is always the same thing to anybody who's looking to dig down into the guitar and stay motivated which is to focus only on the things that interest you and temporarily ignore anything that doesn't serve your interest or tastes. I find that nothing discourages somebody quicker than some boring or confusing tasks that they don't see the relevance in.

You're obviously a Slash fan from our bits of convo in the video chat and I would hazard a guess that you're into classic rock and bluesy, emotive, expressive kind of soloing ?

What I would do is pick just one or two things as a little goal and something to enjoy, like learning a solo of my fave guitarist or giving myself the goal of learning a new type of technique or phrase that will aid me in being able to play like I want to. You could pick absolutely anything as long as it does this one thing; serve you and serve your interests.

There's often a conflict within guitarists between what they want to play and what they think they should be able to play. The latter can tie people up with learning techniques for years and keep them following what is essentially someone else's path. I always try to encourage people to embrace the former because it is by embracing our tastes and current abilities to the fullest that is the most direct route to guitar satisfaction smile.gif

If you can identify some definite guitar learning desires that you have then maybe I can help direct you to them smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Vas Paul Standar...
Dec 5 2012, 11:13 AM
Well i basically wanna build some tecnique , speedwise slash isnt extremely fast but he plays fast enough for me , not sure which lessons to practise to improve legato/alternate economy picking.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 6 2012, 11:18 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Vas Paul Standard 1995 @ Dec 5 2012, 10:13 AM) *
Well i basically wanna build some tecnique , speedwise slash isnt extremely fast but he plays fast enough for me , not sure which lessons to practise to improve legato/alternate economy picking.

Well for legato.. Ben's Land of Legato 1-5 !! laugh.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Ben-Higgins/

Some basic but decent alternate picking patterns that would be a great addition would be these shapes:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Killer...kk-Wylde-Style/

Ignore the speed, the shapes are great and you can chuck them into pretty much any solo !

+Quote Post
Vas Paul Standar...
Dec 7 2012, 04:00 PM
Already working on your ben's land of legato , i've managed to pull out the first lesson , i might post a video if i get my hands on a camera/iphone.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 7 2012, 07:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Vas Paul Standard 1995 @ Dec 7 2012, 03:00 PM) *
Already working on your ben's land of legato , i've managed to pull out the first lesson , i might post a video if i get my hands on a camera/iphone.

Ok sounds good.. keep me updated smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:56 AM