2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Apprentice Bushido Task 35
Ben Higgins
Sep 22 2012, 09:45 AM
Instructor
Hey Guys !! It's a day late but fear not... it's a simple one to learn...

Task 35: Attached File  Apprentice_Bushido_Task_35.gp4 ( 1.6K ) Number of downloads: 124

Attached Image

I find that speed bursts are one of the best ways of teaching your hands to perform at a faster rate but performing it correctly at the same. How ? Well, the idea of speed bursts is that they are short.. so short that you don't get the chance to screw it up. One of the main reasons we screw up is because we're trying to process many things at once. If you only had one note to play you would find it hard to mess it up. But the more you've got to think about.. and the longer you've got to sustain it for, the more chance you have of stumbling.

So, with a speed burst you'll only do 1 or 2 reps of something. But you'll attempt to make that rep as perfect as possible. All you've got to do is concentrate everything you've got into that one tiny moment.

The reason I like to slot the fast bits in the middle of a slower lick is because the slower lick is setting you up, getting you into the groove. When you go at something cold, it can be hard to find the groove. But if you're already on the tarmac with your feet moving, then you've got an immediate tactile reference point. It may sound a bit crazy.. but it works ! smile.gif

The Lick I've uploaded is just a repeating shape, first using straight 16th notes and then slotting in a fast 16th note triplet burst. Notice the difference between the two before you go at it. The straight 16th notes use a 4 note repeating pattern.. you go down and then up. But the triplet part just goes from high to low. It'll make sense when you see the tab wink.gif

You don't have to follow the same amount of reps exactly.. I've just given an example of how you can add slower and fast reps together. If adding 1 fast reps works for you then do that. If you can manage 2 or more then push it that way. Get to know how it works and then start challenging yourself to how many perfect but fast reps you can add on. Don't forget you can also pause and take a breather after each fast bit.. whatever works for you.

Oh, and of course there's no set bpm for this. smile.gif

Deadline is next Friday 28th September !!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
Sep 23 2012, 08:09 PM
Experienced Rock Star & Challenge Star
Cool idea Ben. I really need this. Let's see how we can handle that.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
�Million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.�
― Terry Pratchett, The Light Fantastic

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 23 2012, 08:11 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (GrindGuer @ Sep 23 2012, 08:09 PM) *
Cool idea Ben. I really need this. Let's see how we can handle that.

Excellent ! I aim to target those secret areas of weakness.. I'm trained to spot these so when I am confronted by a deadly adversary on a windswept mountain somewhere.. I can dispatch him with ease. ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
derper
Sep 23 2012, 08:38 PM
Learning Tone Master
I am VERY late getting into this series!! ohmy.gif

Regardless, it looks like you've come up with some great exercises. I look forward to looking back, and keeping an eye on future tasks.

For now.... time to give this one a try!! laugh.gif

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 23 2012, 08:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (derper @ Sep 23 2012, 08:38 PM) *
I am VERY late getting into this series!! ohmy.gif

Regardless, it looks like you've come up with some great exercises. I look forward to looking back, and keeping an eye on future tasks.

For now.... time to give this one a try!! laugh.gif

Yes man, it would be mega to have you involved ! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
derper
Sep 23 2012, 09:41 PM
Learning Tone Master
Thanks Ben! You're an amazing player, and teacher. So far, I've tried not to bite off more than I can chew here at GMC, which can be difficult since there are so many amazing lessons! Thus far, I have gotten to work with Alex and Cosmin, but it would be great to get in on the Bushido series so I can get some of your tips and experience as well.

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 23 2012, 12:51 PM) *
Yes man, it would be mega to have you involved ! biggrin.gif

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 24 2012, 09:03 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (derper @ Sep 23 2012, 09:41 PM) *
Thanks Ben! You're an amazing player, and teacher. So far, I've tried not to bite off more than I can chew here at GMC, which can be difficult since there are so many amazing lessons! Thus far, I have gotten to work with Alex and Cosmin, but it would be great to get in on the Bushido series so I can get some of your tips and experience as well.

Well, you're welcome any time ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
derper
Sep 25 2012, 12:14 AM
Learning Tone Master
So...how does this work? Should I submit a video here? Sorry, new to the dojo. huh.gif

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 25 2012, 09:13 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (derper @ Sep 25 2012, 12:14 AM) *
So...how does this work? Should I submit a video here? Sorry, new to the dojo. huh.gif

Absolutely, homey. Either that or an mp3 or Soundcloud... audio is fine but I enjoy the videos more ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
derper
Sep 25 2012, 06:43 PM
Learning Tone Master
Will do. This one isn't too difficult, until you crank it up to speed to MAKE it difficult!! It really is a great lesson, and is showcasing the weakness in my pinky. LOVE IT!!

I'll get a vid up today, and keep it at a speed that I can play it clean. I, like many, like to take these types of riffs and speed it up to the point where my accuracy may suffer. I'm trying to break that habit.

Also, I just browsed the "complete bushido task list" thread, and now I see the difficulty ranking (apprentice, warrior, etc.). BUT, I may actually hang at the lower skill level for now, because even these easier tasks (when cranked up to speed) have much to offer my playing/picking, and can help build natural "good/efficient habits". Plus, I don't want to "overload" myself and get into more difficult lessons that I may not have the time to commit to. Anyway, I will be "browsing" the dojo now, and I look forward to working more with you over the next few months.

On a side note: I am working on your Kirk Hammett style lesson. I'm at about 130 bpm, and as per usual.... the REAL difficulty will be getting it clean and up to full speed. Doesn't SEEM that hard, but there are a few parts that become tough for me to PICK at 150 bpms!! Hence, why I want to build better/more efficient picking habits in general. Master technique, so that you can forget about technique! biggrin.gif
If I could hammer on and pull off (aka: CHEAT!) some of those notes, I'd be fine. But the lesson/style calls for nearly all alt-picking, and very few hammer ons it seems. I'll post a video of my "progress" in the practice room, hopefully today as well.

Thanks Ben!!

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
derper
Sep 25 2012, 10:15 PM
Learning Tone Master
Here is the task, at 2 different speeds.

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 26 2012, 01:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (derper @ Sep 25 2012, 10:15 PM) *
Here is the task, at 2 different speeds.

Gabe, these sound brilliant ! Do you feel the thing I was describing in the opening text.. that intense concentrated effort for a short moment whilst playing at a higher speed ? It just goes to show how much goes into playing faster, how much it draws on the mind and the body. I hope this approach will help you overcome any problem licks that you may have. smile.gif

QUOTE (derper @ Sep 25 2012, 06:43 PM) *
Also, I just browsed the "complete bushido task list" thread, and now I see the difficulty ranking (apprentice, warrior, etc.). BUT, I may actually hang at the lower skill level for now, because even these easier tasks (when cranked up to speed) have much to offer my playing/picking, and can help build natural "good/efficient habits". Plus, I don't want to "overload" myself and get into more difficult lessons that I may not have the time to commit to. Anyway, I will be "browsing" the dojo now, and I look forward to working more with you over the next few months.

On a side note: I am working on your Kirk Hammett style lesson. I'm at about 130 bpm, and as per usual.... the REAL difficulty will be getting it clean and up to full speed. Doesn't SEEM that hard, but there are a few parts that become tough for me to PICK at 150 bpms!! Hence, why I want to build better/more efficient picking habits in general. Master technique, so that you can forget about technique! biggrin.gif
If I could hammer on and pull off (aka: CHEAT!) some of those notes, I'd be fine. But the lesson/style calls for nearly all alt-picking, and very few hammer ons it seems. I'll post a video of my "progress" in the practice room, hopefully today as well.

Thanks Ben!!

That approach totally makes sense. Isn't it interesting how you can take any lick in the world and either make it easy or make it harder depending on how fast you play it ? smile.gif

I look forward to seeing it when you nail the KH lesson. Some of those licks are deceptively hard. Out of all of them, I had the most trouble with the lick at 0:13-0:15 !

+Quote Post
derper
Sep 26 2012, 06:25 PM
Learning Tone Master
That's the one that, if I could "cheat" and not pick EVERY note, I could totally play it easily.... but the BITE, the ATTACK, and that Hammett-style comes from picking every note. Ugh. Gonna have to get my pinky in top-ninja shape to rock that at speed.

But, that's what I thought about some of the runs in Contra (Nintendo). Freakin' insane, but with enough practice my hand just kind of started to take action like it had a mind of it's own! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 26 2012, 05:15 AM) *
Some of those licks are deceptively hard. Out of all of them, I had the most trouble with the lick at 0:13-0:15 !

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 27 2012, 09:18 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (derper @ Sep 26 2012, 06:25 PM) *
But, that's what I thought about some of the runs in Contra (Nintendo). Freakin' insane, but with enough practice my hand just kind of started to take action like it had a mind of it's own! laugh.gif

I swear that with enough concentrated direction from the mind, you can make your hands perform things that they couldn't do if you're mind isn't really involved.

Of course, the ideal state to be in when playing is one of 'no mind'.. but when practising in our own time, using mental imagery or direction to help your fingers hit the right notes is very effective in my experience.

+Quote Post
zoom
Sep 27 2012, 12:41 PM
Learning Roadie
Here again for another round of Bushidoness. This has been really good. I feel it's unlocked my fingers a bit and it felt fluid.

http://soundcloud.com/zoomify/speed-burst-lick-105-bpm-1

Good to have some more company here derper.
Question you guys been talking about playing difficult licks etc well I'm learning Hotel California and I must admit I really find it hard to nail the intro arpeggios with the string skipping. I guess I am really now trying to keep it slow and accurate and having more success. I have similar problems with Under the bridge intro and some times nail it and sometimes no so great. Any tips

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 27 2012, 01:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (zoom @ Sep 27 2012, 12:41 PM) *
Here again for another round of Bushidoness. This has been really good. I feel it's unlocked my fingers a bit and it felt fluid.

http://soundcloud.com/zoomify/speed-burst-lick-105-bpm-1

Good to have some more company here derper.
Question you guys been talking about playing difficult licks etc well I'm learning Hotel California and I must admit I really find it hard to nail the intro arpeggios with the string skipping. I guess I am really now trying to keep it slow and accurate and having more success. I have similar problems with Under the bridge intro and some times nail it and sometimes no so great. Any tips

Zoom, I've never heard you play so fast !! Really pleased that you're feeling the benefits of this. And do you guys know what the beauty of this is ?

You can apply this to any lick you're learning... yes, even legato !!! wink.gif

Regards those chordal arpeggios.. I also find it quite tricky to play things like that and I often hit the wrong string or miss one entirely etc. However, I will also admit that I just don't do enough of it so that will explain why.

It might be one of those cases where the problem is that the pick doesn't yet know where it has to go so you're having to still use a lot of 'thinking' when playing it instead of being able to just let go and play it.

Try taking the opposite extreme to this and play them through really slow whilst mentally reminding yourself what string you're plucking next before you play it. It's my classic 'Give yourself time to get it right' strategy. Make it so that it is virtually impossible for you to get it wrong. It doesn't matter how long it takes either and it doesn't even have to flow in time. It's all about connecting the right movements together with your brain. A number of reps like that will help solidify the required movements in your head better if there's no mistakes smile.gif

+Quote Post
zoom
Sep 27 2012, 10:57 PM
Learning Roadie
Cheers Ben!

I think I'm going to try this lick with different fingering etc. It's great little exercise and very focused.

It's good to hear I'm not the only one struggling with arpeggios. Thanks for you points. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 28 2012, 09:57 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (zoom @ Sep 27 2012, 10:57 PM) *
Cheers Ben!

I think I'm going to try this lick with different fingering etc. It's great little exercise and very focused.

It's good to hear I'm not the only one struggling with arpeggios. Thanks for you points. smile.gif

Glad you're enjoying it ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 28 2012, 07:27 PM
Instructor
Derper, I realised I owe you 1 Donut !!! It shall be added now to the Donut of Celebration scoreboard !

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=582197

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 29 2012, 09:21 AM
Instructor
Guys, I was thinking that you can have 1 extra week with this.. or a week off, whichever way you choose to see it ! smile.gif

It's because it will help the numbers of the Tasks re-align themselves so that next week both the Apprentice and Warrior threads will be on Task 36, if you follow me ? Otherwise it might cause widespread panic and confusion !!

So maybe you can keep up with the speed bursts and see how much further you can push it ?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:13 PM