2 Pages V   1 2 >  
When Music Was Exciting, Music is so boring and predictable nowadays
Mudbone
Sep 13 2010, 09:56 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
There was a time when music was exciting. There was a time when music would make you get up off your ass and dance around, even if you weren't the dancing type. That time was the time of James Brown. I'm not a nostalgic person per se, but the times of James Brown were definitely more exciting than today. Todays music is so boring and predictable; nobody tries to be original anymore. Yes I am over generalizing a bit, but this is the way I feel at the moment.

Check out these James Brown videos and notice how EVERYONE is interacting with James - have you been to any shows like this recently?

I sing this next song every morning when I first wake up tongue.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stratman79
Sep 13 2010, 10:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
I totally agree but I think its an age thing really

I don't know how old you are but chances are if your over 30 or even 40 you've seen or heard a lot so there isn't anything that is really fresh to your ears and maybe if it is you don't get it (I know i don't)

There are bands out there doing the whole heavy funk thing and get great crowds rocking... Sharon Jones and the Dapkings been the main one.

The 2nd video is much later than the first but in the late 60's/early 70's it must have been a really exciting time the world was fully recovered from WWII, eveything was much more liberal and technology was allowing people to make new and exciting music...

Ask yourself when where you last really excited about a genre of music?

For me it would have been through my teens (when I was been constantly exposed to new music) and then my early 20's up until I was 25 (during my 20's I was very involved in a 'scene') over the past 5/6 years not so much, I really enjoy listening to new stuff and can enjoy it but I wouldn't say get excited about it.

But ask some kid nowadays and I'm sure they're really into it, esp if they are out clubbing, it's no doubt Dubstep, Grime or some thing that I haven't even heard of but if they're out in the clubs hearing the newest white labels I bet they're bang up for it...

Just my thoughts, I'd be interested to hear what others have to say...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Sep 13 2010, 10:49 PM
QUOTE (stratman79 @ Sep 13 2010, 05:07 PM) *
I totally agree but I think its an age thing really

I don't know how old you are but chances are if your over 30 or even 40 you've seen or heard a lot so there isn't anything that is really fresh to your ears and maybe if it is you don't get it (I know i don't)

There are bands out there doing the whole heavy funk thing and get great crowds rocking... Sharon Jones and the Dapkings been the main one.

The 2nd video is much later than the first but in the late 60's/early 70's it must have been a really exciting time the world was fully recovered from WWII, eveything was much more liberal and technology was allowing people to make new and exciting music...

Ask yourself when where you last really excited about a genre of music?

For me it would have been through my teens (when I was been constantly exposed to new music) and then my early 20's up until I was 25 (during my 20's I was very involved in a 'scene') over the past 5/6 years not so much, I really enjoy listening to new stuff and can enjoy it but I wouldn't say get excited about it.

But ask some kid nowadays and I'm sure they're really into it, esp if they are out clubbing, it's no doubt Dubstep, Grime or some thing that I haven't even heard of but if they're out in the clubs hearing the newest white labels I bet they're bang up for it...

Just my thoughts, I'd be interested to hear what others have to say...

I'm not that old, gonna be 30 this year smile.gif But it just seems like everybody wants to be like their heros, or to just fit into a certain scene. Nobody is using music to emphasize their personality, i.e. you really don't see anybody whose personality shows through their music, its just very generic.

Of course there are a few exceptions, System of a Down is a good example. You may hear a song of theirs that you don't know, but you instantly know its them that are performing it.

I still get excited about music, but its older stuff that I happen to discover smile.gif Actually I just found out about a band called Volbeat, and they got a really cool Johnny Cash-meets-Metallica thing going.

The Metal scene is getting ridiculous, its all screaming and chugging now - both things I like, but not every second of every song of every band.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not one to say that older musicians were more original. On the contrary, most older musicians were nothing but a bunch of copy cats, especially country western singers - they all sang the same songs with the same chord progressions. There was usually one trend setter and a bunch of copy cats that soon followed.

--------------------

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Sep 13 2010, 11:31 PM
Learning Tone Master
New times, new people, new things people find exciting. Music nowadays excite the young people. Music that were popular, say, 20 years ago, aren't popular anymore, and thus there is little progress in that kind of music. "Chugga chugga" is what people is excited about in the metal genre now. smile.gif I have a lot of respect for James Brown, but in 2010, his music does not excite me at all.
But of course, popular music is as boring as ever.
And of course again, I like a lot of old music over new music. But that is more taste than anything. And there is so much of a spread of music nowadays, that there is a 100x more copycats, but there have never been as many genres of music as there is now!

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Sep 13 2010, 11:34 PM

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Sep 14 2010, 12:16 AM
QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Sep 13 2010, 06:31 PM) *
New times, new people, new things people find exciting. Music nowadays excite the young people. Music that were popular, say, 20 years ago, aren't popular anymore, and thus there is little progress in that kind of music. "Chugga chugga" is what people is excited about in the metal genre now. smile.gif I have a lot of respect for James Brown, but in 2010, his music does not excite me at all.
But of course, popular music is as boring as ever.
And of course again, I like a lot of old music over new music. But that is more taste than anything. And there is so much of a spread of music nowadays, that there is a 100x more copycats, but there have never been as many genres of music as there is now!

I think you're missing my point, I'm not saying young people now should like James Brown per se, I'm saying we don't have a James Brown type of personality in our present music scene. It doesn't have to be funk, it could be anything.

You're right though, we do have more genres of music than ever before, which is good and bad I guess. Its good because it offers diversity, its bad because bands try to fit into certain genres, instead of just making music for the sake of expressing yourself. I'm a metalhead through and through, but sometimes I go to metal shows and all five bands that are playing that night sound the same, and within each bands setlist there is no diversity.

There has always been trend setters and followers in just about every genre, examples include surf rock, hair metal, rap, funk etc... But I really haven't seen any trend setters in the past ten years - maybe I'm missing something huh.gif

Of course there is only one band in the world that can do the same thing over and over again and be brilliant every single time - that band is AC/DC smile.gif

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
zen
Sep 14 2010, 02:11 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I partially agree with this.
But Good Music is still happening.. it's just not happening on television or radio but ONLINE on youtube etc.
You just gotta find those amazing artists.

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Sep 14 2010, 02:54 AM
GMC:er
Tilts head sideways (like my dog trying to understand)

Er, I'm glad we don't have that style of music anymore...

Now to get rid of all the various pop, teenie-bobba, rap, r&b, hip hop, country, folk, reggae, punk, jazz, electronic, ambient, breakbeat, disco, garage, techo, house, dance, classical, blues, industrial, jungle, coldwave, chiptune, trance, cyber metal, hard rock, fusion, deathmetal, metalcore, thrash, screamo, youth crew, and grunge, etc.

It's the age of NU-METAL!

Seriously however, I think music today is improving and getting more wider ranged.

Tell me that's not awesome? Creative and changing... (youtube makes it mono sounding thou)

Dance with the head rather than the legs smile.gif

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Sep 14 2010, 03:07 AM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Sep 14 2010, 03:33 AM
I agree that modern music is just terrible. Truly awful but I can't see it changing any time soon. Every genre currently is just full of unimaginative, unoriginal, rubbish.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Sep 14 2010, 05:31 AM
Today's modern poop music just need a bit more creative twist for today's youth ...

laugh.gif I might then enjoy this!

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Sep 14 2010, 05:37 AM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Sep 14 2010, 12:26 PM
Jazz Instructor
Well, I think we all got tired of music, today we have "house" which is made for jumping and dancing and...

+Quote Post
Captain Insaino
Sep 14 2010, 03:46 PM
I have been highly disappointed in music of the last two years. Out of all the new stuff to hit the market, I can only think of two bands that I heard something of theirs and it made me go out and buy their CD. The rest, well its all just the same, no vibe, no life to the music. Its like the music business hired 3 writers, and made them pump out songs for all the artists.

Forget about popular radio or TV music shows to bring you for really new music any more. They are to worried about their wallets, to chance putting new stuff up there for everyone to hear. Its all about the advertising dollars to them.

Thats why we are hear and make our own music, biggrin.gif

--------------------
If you cant say something nice, dont say anything at all

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Sep 14 2010, 05:07 PM
QUOTE (Captain Insaino @ Sep 14 2010, 10:46 AM) *
Thats why we are hear and make our own music, biggrin.gif

Well put smile.gif

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Sep 14 2010, 05:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Azzaboi @ Sep 14 2010, 05:31 AM) *
Today's modern poop music just need a bit more creative twist for today's youth ...

laugh.gif I might then enjoy this!

I found that very exciting! hehehe

no, but seriously I think the music industry takes care of making everything as uniform as possible, that's when the excitement begins to go away, in James Brown's days there wasn't much industry experience so they just let them flow

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 14 2010, 06:31 PM
Instructor
Cool topic! There are really interesting posts here. I don't think that there isn't exciting music and musicians/composers nowadays. It's is true that you can rarely find them on the radio or tv but thanks to the internet we can connect to a lot of excellent music around the world. It takes more effort to reach them but it really deserves our investigation.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Sep 14 2010, 10:25 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Funny thing: although we have such an easy access to all kinds of music, it has become so much harder to find actually good music among the millions of artists.
But I guess you are not looking for good music (cause everyone has to define for himself what is good music) but true entertainer. In my opinion, every decade had it's own outstanding entertainers. Like James Brown, Michael Jackon, Madonna, Robbie Williams (in the late 90ies) and Justin Timberlake (a few years ago). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying their music was great (it just hit the musical taste of the majority), but even I thought they knew how to entertain a crowd. Can't think of anyone who could play that role at the moment, as I think Lady Gaga's shows are a bit too weird to make a real connection with the crowd instead of just making them breathless, kinda like Rammstein's shows...I'm comparing Lady Gaga with Rammstein here...anyone still following my train of thoughts? Come to think of it, I think since the live shows have gotten so big these days it is harder to really connect to the audience. Green Day did that last year, they really connected with the crowd and put up a magnificient show with lights, videos and pyros...
So maybe there is no entertainer like James Brown at the moment, but he or she will come, that's for sure.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Sep 14 2010, 10:34 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Music is never boring as long as you can still listen to what you enjoy. I have discovered quite a few bands recently that I have been pretty interested in. Allegaeon is one of them, instead of trying to create something "never before heard", they took the somewhat tired genre of Melodic Death and made it amazing again.

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Sep 14 2010, 11:17 PM
One new band that I can think of that has been making excellent music is Porcupine Tree - all of their new stuff has been phenomenal... but... they're not really that new, they've been around since the 90's, its just recently they've hit their stride. Gabriel made a good point, there are great musicians today making great music, but you really do have to search for it.

As far as I can see there really aren't any personalities in music at the moment. Lady Gaga does not count, her music is completely unoriginal and her persona is just a cheap rip off of Madonna. Plus every video I see her in shes got some serious camel toe going on - I'm not hating on camel toe but seeing a purple alien with it kinda ruins the mystique of it.

The one thing that I can think of at the moment that is really exciting is the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, if you haven't been to one of their shows you must go, its worth the ticket price.

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
OzRob
Sep 27 2010, 04:25 AM
IMO, some of the most exciting music at present is coming from trailer composers. Check out Globus for example. They're the inhouse band for Immediate Music, one of the main trailer music houses. Real band, real orchestra, real choir....

http://www.globusmusic.com

--------------------
------------------------
My website (Flash) My other website (non-Flash)
------------------------

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Sep 27 2010, 04:29 AM
QUOTE (OzRob @ Sep 26 2010, 11:25 PM) *
IMO, some of the most exciting music at present is coming from trailer composers. Check out Globus for example. They're the inhouse band for Immediate Music, one of the main trailer music houses. Real band, real orchestra, real choir....

I liked that song called "Spiritus Khayyam", really dig the Middle Eastern theme.

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 27 2010, 05:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Sep 14 2010, 06:25 PM) *
Funny thing: although we have such an easy access to all kinds of music, it has become so much harder to find actually good music among the millions of artists.

Good point. This is something that really happens nowadays.

QUOTE (OzRob @ Sep 27 2010, 12:25 AM) *

Cool page! Thanks for sharing. I found The Gathering ex-singer on some of the songs. I agree with you regarding the film and trailer music. Danny Elfman is one of my favourite contemporary composers.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:44 AM