Horizontal Vibrato - With Tab And Mp3, (easy technique, even for beginner and intermediate leveles)
Jonas Tamas
Feb 14 2013, 09:46 AM
GMC:er
This a very useful and easy techniqe, used by a lot of players nowadays. The first guitarists to apply this were probably George Lynch and Greg Howe.

The technique can be described in 3 points:

1) When you play a longer note then let the note ring for ca. one second, then start sliding up and down for a few times.

2) This horizontal movement must be really loose, so don't aim for any given note while sliding - just move your finger up and down the neck.

3) After a few up and down movements, let the note "disappear" by lifting your finger. (Optional: you can do this while sliding down a few frets.)

Example:

http://soundcloud.com/jonas-tamas-guitar/horizontal-vibrato

TAB of the example:

Attached Image

You can see me using a horizontal vibrato at 0:51 in this video:

I hope you'll like this easy trick!
Let me know if you have any questions, regarding this topic or any other technique!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  V__zszintes_vibrato.mp3 ( 72.25K ) Number of downloads: 62

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 2)
HungryForHeaven
Feb 14 2013, 10:46 AM
Learning Tone Master
Nice technique!

Could be worth adding that this glissando type move is not the only way of vibrating parallel to the string. Instead of sliding the finger across the frets, one could keep the string pressed down and slightly move the finger back and forth in the direction of the string but stay at the same fret (i.e. between the same two frets), that way increasing or decreasing the tension in the string, causing a vibrato effect. This is sometimes called classical vibrato (e.g. Ben Higgins calls it that), I'm guessing because it is very similar to the vibrato technique used by violinists or cellists.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Jonas Tamas
Feb 14 2013, 10:51 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (HungryForHeaven @ Feb 14 2013, 10:46 AM) *
Nice technique!

Could be worth adding that this glissando type move is not the only way of vibrating parallel to the string. Instead of sliding the finger across the frets, one could keep the string pressed down and slightly move the finger back and forth in the direction of the string but stay at the same fret (i.e. between the same two frets), that way increasing or decreasing the tension in the string, causing a vibrato effect. This is sometimes called classical vibrato (e.g. Ben Higgins calls it that), I'm guessing because it is very similar to the vibrato technique used by violinists or cellists.

Yes, I like the 'violin-type' vibrato, too. Usually it has the most effect with slow songs, when the guitar really has to sing.

Another variant is the 'circular-type' vibrato, used by Steve Vai. It is similar to the violin version you've described, but a circular movement of the pressing string is added. A great visual effect, because it looks really cool:)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:27 AM