Reading Guitar Tabs
manwesulimo2004
Feb 16 2012, 11:26 AM
GMC:er
I just checked out the Lick of the Day and realised how much I don't know about reading guitar tabs. I'm familiar with the basics (and I just read this article) but I still have some questions:

E S S E S S S S S S S S S S E. S S S E Q Q
E||-------0---3b--0------0----------------|---------------------------||
B||---3b----0-------0-3b---0--------------|---------------------------||
G||*-------------------------2br-L-0------|--------------------------*||
D||*---------------------------------2p-0-|------2-L-2---------------*||
A||---------------------------------------|----------------2----------||
E||---------------------------------------|--0---------3b--0----------||

[Unfortunately the editor is scrapping the correct spacing so some characters are a bit off here.]

What do those stars (*) mean and what's with the letters above the tab (E, S, Q)? Thanks for your help.

Also, it would be cool if a link or button was added to the tab section of Lick of the Day, linking beginners to a guide or some kind of reference to help them understand things better.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Ben Higgins
Feb 16 2012, 12:16 PM
Instructor
Hey there smile.gif Those letters at the top refer to the note duration.. like half note, quarter note etc. However, you don't need to worry about them so much, espeically if you have the music itself to hand because you can hear it anyway.

For a complete list of the symbols used in the tab, go to any GMC lesson and click on one of the lesson parts (not the main video), one of the numbered videos.. it should show some tab underneath each lesson part. Underneath that will be a button called Tab Legend. If you click that a little pop up menu appears with the symbols and explanations smile.gif

I'm not sure about the * symbol either, sorry !! rolleyes.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Feb 16 2012, 12:17 PM

+Quote Post
dark dude
Feb 16 2012, 01:42 PM
I believe that the * is being used here to indicate the start and end of that section.

It really depends on the tab, I've seen * used to indicate pinch harmonics before, so if the song doesn't have a tab legend, as Ben mentioned above, I'd have a quick look at the song/video to check.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about E (8th notes), S (16th notes) and Q (quarter notes), tabs are bad at illustrating the length of notes, so this is an attempt to give you a better idea. Would always listen to the lick, track or the video to get a feel for the timing instead.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Feb 16 2012, 10:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (manwesulimo2004 @ Feb 16 2012, 10:26 AM) *
I just checked out the Lick of the Day and realised how much I don't know about reading guitar tabs. I'm familiar with the basics (and I just read this article) but I still have some questions:

E S S E S S S S S S S S S S E. S S S E Q Q
E||-------0---3b--0------0----------------|---------------------------||
B||---3b----0-------0-3b---0--------------|---------------------------||
G||*-------------------------2br-L-0------|--------------------------*||
D||*---------------------------------2p-0-|------2-L-2---------------*||
A||---------------------------------------|----------------2----------||
E||---------------------------------------|--0---------3b--0----------||

[Unfortunately the editor is scrapping the correct spacing so some characters are a bit off here.]

What do those stars (*) mean and what's with the letters above the tab (E, S, Q)? Thanks for your help.

Also, it would be cool if a link or button was added to the tab section of Lick of the Day, linking beginners to a guide or some kind of reference to help them understand things better.

Stars mean repeat
E means eight note
S - sixteen
Q - means Quarter note

+Quote Post
manwesulimo2004
Feb 17 2012, 07:17 PM
Ooooooh. Thanks everyone. It makes sense now. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Feb 17 2012, 10:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (manwesulimo2004 @ Feb 17 2012, 06:17 PM) *
Ooooooh. Thanks everyone. It makes sense now. biggrin.gif

If you have any more questions let me know! I will be more than happy to help you out!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:18 PM