2 Pages V   1 2 >  
The Most Elaborate Recording Studio In Bucharest
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 11 2013, 11:47 AM
Instructor
Thought I'd show you guys how the studio in which I recorded with Voodoo two years ago looks like and what sort of equipment it has. It's pretty much the nicest and the most well equipped recording studio in Bucharest. The prices for audio recording? - 50 Euros/ hour- price which includes recording, mixing and mastering. What do you guys think?

http://www.isv.ro/EN/

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jan 11 2013, 12:02 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Which studio were you in Cosmin, A or B?

The equipment in A is fine for recording and mixing and about the same as I'd expect to find in the some of the smaller/mid sized pro studios here and elsewhere in Europe but even with the TC 6000 the studios are not for mastering. 50 Euros/hour though is a good rate for recording and mixing particularly if it included an experienced engineer.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jan 11 2013, 12:09 PM
Learning Roadie
It looks very good for the price, you'd be hard pressed to find anything like that for the money in the UK

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jan 11 2013, 12:33 PM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jan 11 2013, 11:09 AM) *
It looks very good for the price, you'd be hard pressed to find anything like that for the money in the UK

A professional UK studio would almost certainly have much higher overheads to meet at least in terms of business taxes, rates, services and wage costs. I couldn't charge our rates for mastering and be in the UK for the same reasons - and that's even after allowing for the fact that about 65% of my turnover goes to the Spanish government in taxes.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Andre Nieri
Jan 11 2013, 01:04 PM
GMC:er
Wow, that's such a nice studio, Cosmin.
I don't know much about the recording scene prices in Europe, but the 50 Euros price per hour sounds very good for me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 11 2013, 02:53 PM
Instructor
Awesome! The equipment is killer and the floorplan looks very good. It's an amazing experience to record in an studio of this level.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 12 2013, 10:34 AM
Instructor
I am glad to hear that the prices are good in respect to the conditions and I have to add that the sound engineer is good and experienced, so I think, as I already told Tony, we will most definitely record there for the next DOC album smile.gif

+Quote Post
azureus
Jan 12 2013, 11:28 AM
cool.gif Verry cool Cosmin !!
I whas never in a studio !..it must have a special vibe ?!..is it ?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 12 2013, 11:33 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (azureus @ Jan 12 2013, 10:28 AM) *
cool.gif Verry cool Cosmin !!
I whas never in a studio !..it must have a special vibe ?!..is it ?

Oh yes it does! Especially when the clock is ticking and you know that you will have to pay for another hour because you are not able to record in a better pace laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 12 2013, 07:08 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 12 2013, 11:33 AM) *
Oh yes it does! Especially when the clock is ticking and you know that you will have to pay for another hour because you are not able to record in a better pace laugh.gif

Heheh that is when you wish you had put in more practice hours smile.gif
When we recorded an album we made a flat rate deal with the studio, but when we a year later re-recorded some remixes it was based on "per hour rate". The album recording was awesome but we were under a lot of pressure the 2nd time (per hour). Its just not the same.

That is why I love the idea of having a quality "home" studio and possibility to record in your own project studio. The energy of the recording made in such environment is so much better - it can be heard on the actual recording in terms of dynamics and details.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 12 2013, 10:38 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jan 12 2013, 06:08 PM) *
When we recorded an album we made a flat rate deal with the studio, but when we a year later re-recorded some remixes it was based on "per hour rate". The album recording was awesome but we were under a lot of pressure the 2nd time (per hour). Its just not the same.

That is why I love the idea of having a quality "home" studio and possibility to record in your own project studio. The energy of the recording made in such environment is so much better - it can be heard on the actual recording in terms of dynamics and details.

I know what you mean Bogdan, now the thing is, at home you will probably never have the possibilities that a studio like that has so I'd rather rehearse like hell laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jan 13 2013, 11:26 AM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jan 12 2013, 06:08 PM) *

Multing and comps are your friend wink.gif .

To put the other side of the argument in favour of professional recording and mixing...

Very often what you are paying for very often is not just the studio equipment and space but also the experience of the engineer. That's something that home studio 'engineers' just can not match. A professional engineer really knows the ins and outs of their equipment and can get results quickly that can take a home studio hours to do. You only get that sort of experience after you've logged thousands of hours studio time. Even if you hire it without the resident engineer what you do get is a professional setup and equipment. This is again something that home studios generally don't do as most of them are put together 'organically' and suffer from poor gainstaging and compatability issues. Home studios also generally have poor monitoring and lack sufficient acoustic treatment.

Cosmin - take a look at my reply in the other thread.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 14 2013, 10:20 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jan 13 2013, 10:26 AM) *
Multing and comps are your friend wink.gif .

To put the other side of the argument in favour of professional recording and mixing...

Very often what you are paying for very often is not just the studio equipment and space but also the experience of the engineer. That's something that home studio 'engineers' just can not match. A professional engineer really knows the ins and outs of their equipment and can get results quickly that can take a home studio hours to do. You only get that sort of experience after you've logged thousands of hours studio time. Even if you hire it without the resident engineer what you do get is a professional setup and equipment. This is again something that home studios generally don't do as most of them are put together 'organically' and suffer from poor gainstaging and compatability issues. Home studios also generally have poor monitoring and lack sufficient acoustic treatment.

Cosmin - take a look at my reply in the other thread.

I very much agree with you Tony, although, in Romania, there are so few real sound engineers that I would be abel to wager you can count them on the fingers on your hands... That is incredibly little for a population of almost 22 000 000 people, right? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jan 14 2013, 04:16 PM
To a great extent it doesn't surprise me Cosmin. To be a professional engineer with a proper studio is an expensive business. It's pretty much impossible to get bank/business loans to buy equipment etc as you're seen as a bad risk. So you have to generate investment from turnover and that nearly always means you pay yourself very little for a long time when you start out. If I include the build cost for our studio we have well over 100000 Euros invested - I logged a lot of studio time at 45 Euros an hour to pay that off (more or less the same rate as your Bucharest engineers).* This is all made worse as most people now think they can replicate an engineer's experience, studio and equipment with some cheap software. I've 30 years experience, logged 1000s of hours studio time, I've credits on a whole raft of projects (both independent and commercial major label), I've won industry awards, and I am professionally recognised by the audio engineering society as a mastering engineer. Many people nowadays however think they can equal that with 'mastering' vsts they have on their home studio set up.

* People might want to think how many other professionals with 30 years experience charge 45 Euros an hour.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 15 2013, 09:52 AM
Instructor
True words here Tony! The studio that we discussed about has planned to recuperate the investment in 2017 smile.gif They invested a few million euros out of what I understood, as the villa was erected from scratch and with the clear purpose of serving as a studio, so ..a lot of money ..

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Jan 15 2013, 09:53 AM

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jan 15 2013, 10:31 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 15 2013, 08:52 AM) *
True words here Tony! The studio that we discussed about has planned to recuperate the investment in 2017 smile.gif They invested a few million euros out of what I understood, as the villa was erected from scratch and with the clear purpose of serving as a studio, so ..a lot of money ..

Same here - it's also often easier to build from scratch rather than correct existing building issues. In many cases a studio only starts to see any real return when the capital costs have been fully amortised after 10 years or more. It's a huge investment and a lot of professional studios have closed over the last few years as the property is worth much, much more than they can make running as a studio.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 15 2013, 10:47 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jan 15 2013, 09:31 AM) *
Same here - it's also often easier to build from scratch rather than correct existing building issues. In many cases a studio only starts to see any real return when the capital costs have been fully amortised after 10 years or more. It's a huge investment and a lot of professional studios have closed over the last few years as the property is worth much, much more than they can make running as a studio.

Sad enough... But yeah, I imagined that things go like this in the industry sad.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 16 2013, 10:36 AM
Instructor
Looks great.

Although, if it were me.. try and see if you can negotiate a slightly cheaper hourly rate without mastering (probably not possible as they're already at a reduced rate as it is) and get Tony to master it.

I always think it's better to have different jobs done by different ears who specialise in those areas smile.gif

+Quote Post
blacklotus82
Jan 16 2013, 11:16 AM
Sorry but I have to say it, it's not the best equipped studio in Bucharest. Check out Fonogram Studios, they have some incredible stuff there including Telefunken ELAM 251, U47, Taylor Builders Reserv III, DW 40th Anniversary Kit, Fender Strat Masterbuilt by Fessler and on top of that, they have a SSL room.

I think these guys are new on the market but what they got over there is really impressive and from what I hear their engineer is amazing. Take a look

www.fonogramstudios.ro

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 16 2013, 11:18 AM
Instructor
Hehe! Thank you man - I think I've seen a photo with Nicu Patoi recording there. You must be a Romanian also - am I not right? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:20 PM