How To Waste A Year Of Your Life.-eat-sleep-andjam, Dealing with an addiction-and now getting rid of it !
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Apr 18 2008, 10:03 PM
GMC:er
A year ago I bought and traded my Nintendo Wii for an Xbox 360. Seemed like nothing at the time but just did it as a means to have fun.
Well I originally bought a title known as Gears of War . At first it was awesome . Not only was the Xbox 360 a thrill but it was a means of online communication. You made your online gamertag, chated with other players and then had an online competition. Little did I know that I was going downhill from there.

One month Later - Things started to become more addicting. I became obsessed at being good at Gears of War a headshot with a sniper rifle, shotgun, pistol- It never got boring. It was just so addicting. Three hours here, an allnighter there, so addicting, so refreshing. I wondered why people in the real world did hard drugs? Xbox was my drug of choice . Sure it sounds silly to someone whos reading this but it was so fullfilling playing. Just the thought you can badmouth, tell jokes, and everything on there/ it was surreal! You were whoever you wanted to be on it. I easily spent more then 4 hours a day on Gears of War for awhile.
Three months Later- Gears of War is now too easy. We needed more of a challenge. So I bought Bioshock. After that happened I didnt go outside for 2 days straight. I spent around 24 hours playing and beating Bioshock in 2 days. The sense of accomplishment of beating a newgame was unreal. And on top of that to make it more addicting you would often find yourself playing for Achievements. Little set goals that you would play for on the game and "unlock". It was captivating. Aftertime one thing got boring on xbox, another thing bit you in the ass and gave your purpose to accomplish something else.

One month Later- Halo 3 became a huge problem. This was the first time I was every introduced to a "Ranking Up System" A system in which you can achieve higher ranks by playing more and more, BRILLIANT ! I played for probably a total of 3 or 4 days time and achieved the Rank of Commander. Then I quit that game.
-This is the point of downfall, the point where things started to get very bad.- Some time later Call of Duty 4 was released. Oh my god, I was instantly in love. Not only could you "Rank Up' like in Halo 3. But you could also work up your weapons and get attachments like Silencers,Iron Sights, Acog Scopes, Grips, and various camoes. The online was amazing. One you reached the highest rank you could enter "Prestige Mode" . It was basically away to show how good of a player you were on the game, not only that but it every Prestige Mode you got a new interesting symbol next to your gamertag. It was Amazing and was the most addicting thing yet. Each Prestige Mode ( There were 10 of them) took roughly a day to get to level 55. Before you can enter the next one. And I dont mean roughly a day, I mean 24 hours. The only downfall to this game was that you could check your total time played on the leaderboards. It started at minutes, Increased to Hours, and then hit Days.

When I really started playing I would stay up past 4 am - Playing for 8 hours straight. Becoming obssesed with getting a higher rank. Caffiene fueled me as I stayed up night after night. And sometimes the whole day, Playing and Playing. It was only yesterday that I realized it was out of control and I needed to stop. I finished Call of Duty 4 between my 2 accounts playing for around 14 days time. If your not a math wiz thats 336 hours of my life- GONE ! Not only that but I started to become more tired, lacked energy from staying up so late. My back hurts from hunching over on the floor and commiting myself to Games. MEANINGLESS, WORTHLESS GAMES !

All along the way I was still playing my guitar, but was dedicating much more time to Xbox. Now things are about to change. Im selling my Xbox and all my games in order to buy a new guitar and some supplies biggrin.gif Im a changed person and It feels so good. I know there are gamers out there and this topic is for them. Yeah games are fun but dont play them obssesivley , once and awhile wont hurt but if you play to much it can become a problem. Your Grades, and Your Social Life can suffer. Take it from me smile.gif I wasted a year of my life on Xbox-Later guys~ John

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
kyldeee
Apr 18 2008, 10:11 PM
Good thing you got rid of this nasty habbit smile.gif I haven't played that much since I bought the guitar, but every now and then it's nice to relax with a good game, but I never really had any problems when it comes to playin, tho I don't own Xbox360 or Ps3, just my Ps2 smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Music really is a way to reach out and hold on to each other in a healthy way.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

+Quote Post
Robin
Apr 18 2008, 10:21 PM
great to hear that you stopped. i had the same problem with counter strike and world of warcraft. about 4 years of my life completely wasted. i lost all my friends, never got any girls, didnt do anything at school, didnt play guitar. i always found excuses to fool myself into thinking that playing games werent really a big deal, so i continued.
but around christmas 2006 i told myself that i was finally gonna get good at guitar. my dad showed me soem blues guitarists and then i started looking for guitar websites and i ended up at GMC. GMC was one of the things that made me stop playing games.

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Apr 18 2008, 10:33 PM
Good for you man.

What are you savin up for?

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
SamJ
Apr 18 2008, 10:39 PM
Haha, this is exactly why I've never bought a games console, I didn't want to get addicted to it like all my friends had. tongue.gif

Anyway, nice to hear that you quit. smile.gif

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Apr 18 2008, 10:42 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Great topic- i'm so glad you first recognised the problem then took the steps to getting over it. Quite inspiring actually smile.gif

edit: typo

This post has been edited by DeepRoots: Apr 18 2008, 10:42 PM

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Apr 18 2008, 10:43 PM
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Apr 18 2008, 01:33 PM) *
Good for you man.

What are you savin up for?

Man I dont even know laugh.gif . Thats another topic rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

Im thinking about really diving into theory. And learning all the notes on the fretboard. And Id really like to do that I a nice new acoustic guitar biggrin.gif Ill have probably around 600$ once I sell all this crap smile.gif

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Apr 18 2008, 10:44 PM
Singing Instructor
when I bought my new comp,I bought a good graphic card for double view(two monitors)..I installed one game,start to play,seen where it leads to,and uninstalled right a way...smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Apr 18 2008, 10:45 PM
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Apr 18 2008, 01:42 PM) *
Great topic- i'm so glad you first recognised the problem then took the steps to getting over it. Quite inspiring actually smile.gif

edit: typo

Hey thanks man biggrin.gif Great to hear that I inspired someone smile.gif

QUOTE (Nemanja Filipovic @ Apr 18 2008, 01:44 PM) *
when I bought my new comp,I bought a good graphic card for double view(two monitors)..I installed one game,start to play,seen where it leads to,and uninstalled right a way...smile.gif

I wish I was that wise laugh.gif

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Pi38
Apr 18 2008, 10:51 PM
Yeah, I'm more of a casual gamer, but every once in a while an awesome game will come out...and, well, let's leave that part out. Good, important topic.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Apr 18 2008, 10:56 PM
Often it is not possible to do something in moderation. It depends on the person. For example, not many people can smoke cigarettes in moderation (say a pack a week) where it would not really hurt them. But a few can. Drinking, a lot of people can drink in moderation, but not all of course, some have to quit altogether. I think that is what the Man meant when he said "if your arm troubles you, cut it off". Sometimes we just have to recognize we are not capable of doing something in moderation, and so the only solution is to not do it at all.

I quit TV for this reason, a few years ago.

You can ask yourself this question. On your death bed, do you think your last words will be "gee, I wish I had not given up playing video games!!!".

I don't play them. They just never appeal to me. But I do not see myself saying "gee, I wish I had not given up TV, I missed out on life".

I do wish I had fewer cats, but too late now. 6 is sufficient, should never have more than 6, and I have 8. I could see myself saying that on my death bed.

+Quote Post
stratman33
Apr 18 2008, 10:58 PM
im pretty much upsessed with xbox to, but i dont play much because i dont have time.i never really feel the need to play, but when i get going on a game, its tough for me to stop because its SO fun.i guess i wouldnt consider myself addicted then, because i only play about 1.5 hours a day.but i dont really want to quit video games because im not addicted and its so good to have at parties.but anyways, good for you to quit it man.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Apr 18 2008, 11:06 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Apr 18 2008, 01:56 PM) *
Often it is not possible to do something in moderation. It depends on the person. For example, not many people can smoke cigarettes in moderation (say a pack a week) where it would not really hurt them. But a few can. Drinking, a lot of people can drink in moderation, but not all of course, some have to quit altogether. I think that is what the Man meant when he said "if your arm troubles you, cut it off". Sometimes we just have to recognize we are not capable of doing something in moderation, and so the only solution is to not do it at all.

I quit TV for this reason, a few years ago.

You can ask yourself this question. On your death bed, do you think your last words will be "gee, I wish I had not given up playing video games!!!".

I don't play them. They just never appeal to me. But I do not see myself saying "gee, I wish I had not given up TV, I missed out on life".

I do wish I had fewer cats, but too late now. 6 is sufficient, should never have more than 6, and I have 8. I could see myself saying that on my death bed.

Well put. I never thought about it that way. smile.gif That post changed my outlook on life a litte bit laugh.gif Everytime I see something tempting Ill just think about me in my deathbed ha ha ha laugh.gif

QUOTE (stratman33 @ Apr 18 2008, 01:58 PM) *
im pretty much upsessed with xbox to, but i dont play much because i dont have time.i never really feel the need to play, but when i get going on a game, its tough for me to stop because its SO fun.i guess i wouldnt consider myself addicted then, because i only play about 1.5 hours a day.but i dont really want to quit video games because im not addicted and its so good to have at parties.but anyways, good for you to quit it man.

Man you remind me of myself laugh.gif Thanks Man laugh.gif

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Apr 18 2008, 11:06 PM
Instructor
nice from you what you did .

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Apr 18 2008, 11:09 PM
QUOTE (Hisham Al-Sanea @ Apr 18 2008, 02:06 PM) *
nice from you what you did .

thanks Hisham smile.gif

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Fran
Apr 18 2008, 11:30 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I know what you are talking about, I spent way too much time a couple years ago playing WoW, and I'm so glad I stopped. MMoRPGs need so much time and are so addictive than can be dangerous sometimes...

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Apr 18 2008, 11:51 PM
Instructor
Thanks for sharing Eat-Sleep-andJam. Have a great time with this acoustic guitar smile.gif

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Apr 18 2008, 11:54 PM
QUOTE (Fran @ Apr 18 2008, 02:30 PM) *
I know what you are talking about, I spent way too much time a couple years ago playing WoW, and I'm so glad I stopped. MMoRPGs need so much time and are so addictive than can be dangerous sometimes...

Yes. WoW is far worse then what I was playing, but anything can be as addictive as you let it be smile.gif

QUOTE (Jerry Arcidiacono @ Apr 18 2008, 02:51 PM) *
Thanks for sharing Eat-Sleep-andJam. Have a great time with this acoustic guitar smile.gif

Will do ! Im currently looking at Custom Carvin Acoustics biggrin.gif

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Apr 19 2008, 12:22 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Good topic and thread.
Nice your taking the steps necessary smile.gif

I don't have an urge to play unless there's a new Mario, Zelda or Final Fantasy game out..
If there is, well... I'll be gone a while biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Apr 19 2008, 03:54 AM
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Apr 18 2008, 03:22 PM) *
Good topic and thread.
Nice your taking the steps necessary smile.gif

I don't have an urge to play unless there's a new Mario, Zelda or Final Fantasy game out..
If there is, well... I'll be gone a while biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:35 PM