2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Redesigned Ep Cover Art!, Analyzed Within
thefireball
Jan 14 2014, 10:48 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey guys, I redesigned my band's artwork for our upcoming EP. I talked to the studio guy and he is going to be working on the songs for mixing. So the EP is coming just as soon as he can get it done, and I am working on some bonus things in the background, this art being one.

After looking at the old one for a long time, I decided Analyzed Within needed better cover art for the release of the EP, "Living in the Last Days." I began searching online for someone else to take my concept and make it better. But I knew the turnaround would be about a week and would cost me a lot. We are giving this EP away, and we have already put a lot of money into this project, i.e. a $300+ mic in which we recorded vocals.

What do you guys think of the finished piece? I spend hours last night compositing 3 NASA images and custom airbrushing the titles with the font of Alternity. I wanted it to look more apocalyptic than the previous art; thus, the sun looks like it's about to swallow the planet. The ground is actually Mars, a picture from Curiosity. The sky is a Crab Nebula with the colors tweaked to my original color theme, almost as though hellfire is in the sky. I tried to imagine what color the ground would be if this scene were truly unfolding. Actually, the human eye could not see this anyway - it would be too bright - the sun being a blinding blotch.

When my brother creates album art he keeps in mind a wallpaper resolution instead of just the standard square ratio. It bugged me that I had not thought of that myself. Maybe people would want a wallpaper version that filled their whole screen too. So I have a square version with the sides cut off for the actual cover. I want to create a digital booklet.

I wanted a 4K resolution (2160p), but the ground I was using wasn't that large, so I settled for 1080p. (Curiosity was in the way). I'll include the high-def photo in the release of the EP when you download it on Bandcamp. I wish I could set a release date but I don't know when our studio guy will be finished. But at least our part is done! smile.gif

--Brandon

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Jan 14 2014, 11:00 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey mate, saw it on Facebook. Looks really nice. I'm looking forward to hearing this EP, and I think you made a great decision about making it free. You'll get heaps of more exposure with a free EP smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Im here to succe...
Jan 15 2014, 02:11 AM
GMC:er
It looks really professional the background, i just dont think there is enough emphasis on the text (band name & ep name)
not keen on the font or the colours of the text, but the actual bass of the image is brilliant.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 16 2014, 12:52 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, I like it! It looks very professional and attractive. Congrats!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 16 2014, 04:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Im here to succeed @ Jan 15 2014, 01:11 AM) *
It looks really professional the background, i just dont think there is enough emphasis on the text (band name & ep name)

I would agree with this observation.. your band name and title is extremely important so I would try to make it stand out more if you can. Not sure if it's possible but a very slim black outline for the letters might separate them from the artwork. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 17 2014, 09:45 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jan 16 2014, 03:17 PM) *
I would agree with this observation.. your band name and title is extremely important so I would try to make it stand out more if you can. Not sure if it's possible but a very slim black outline for the letters might separate them from the artwork. smile.gif

I'm with Ben and Im here to succeed on this one. You should make the name of the band and the album name come out like a poke in the eye. The idea is good with the image, but somehow there's too much noise around the writing so, people will not be able to make it out easily.

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jan 17 2014, 04:38 PM
Learning Roadie
It's good to see this before the release so we can fix it. Thanks. I still have the project so I modified it. How does it look now? smile.gif

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 17 2014, 06:11 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (thefireball @ Jan 17 2014, 03:38 PM) *
It's good to see this before the release so we can fix it. Thanks. I still have the project so I modified it. How does it look now? smile.gif

Yes that does the trick ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 19 2014, 08:55 AM
Instructor
Much easier to read man! I think it's good like this smile.gif

Here's the poster we did for the new single:

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jan 20 2014, 07:38 PM
Learning Roadie
Glad to hear it did the trick. Though I did like the original how it looked like Analyzed Within was on fire.

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jan 20 2014, 07:42 PM
QUOTE (thefireball @ Jan 20 2014, 06:38 PM) *
Glad to hear it did the trick. Though I did like the original how it looked like Analyzed Within was on fire.

You could lower the opacity of the black outline so the sun comes through a bit at the top; but still keep it legible.

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jan 22 2014, 05:33 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Socky42 @ Jan 20 2014, 12:42 PM) *
You could lower the opacity of the black outline so the sun comes through a bit at the top; but still keep it legible.

Ok I'll play around with it.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 22 2014, 09:07 AM
Instructor
Cool mate - will it only be available in a digital form or will the artwork be developed into a physical booklet?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 23 2014, 04:59 AM
Looking good! Maybe make the titles a bit bigger? They are a tad small in the frame overall maybe. Are you using photoshop? You can group all the layers in to one folder and then balance the overall color or turn it black and white then create your own color scheme etc. Just some ideas smile.gif

QUOTE (thefireball @ Jan 14 2014, 04:48 PM) *
Hey guys, I redesigned my band's artwork for our upcoming EP. I talked to the studio guy and he is going to be working on the songs for mixing. So the EP is coming just as soon as he can get it done, and I am working on some bonus things in the background, this art being one.

After looking at the old one for a long time, I decided Analyzed Within needed better cover art for the release of the EP, "Living in the Last Days." I began searching online for someone else to take my concept and make it better. But I knew the turnaround would be about a week and would cost me a lot. We are giving this EP away, and we have already put a lot of money into this project, i.e. a $300+ mic in which we recorded vocals.

What do you guys think of the finished piece? I spend hours last night compositing 3 NASA images and custom airbrushing the titles with the font of Alternity. I wanted it to look more apocalyptic than the previous art; thus, the sun looks like it's about to swallow the planet. The ground is actually Mars, a picture from Curiosity. The sky is a Crab Nebula with the colors tweaked to my original color theme, almost as though hellfire is in the sky. I tried to imagine what color the ground would be if this scene were truly unfolding. Actually, the human eye could not see this anyway - it would be too bright - the sun being a blinding blotch.

When my brother creates album art he keeps in mind a wallpaper resolution instead of just the standard square ratio. It bugged me that I had not thought of that myself. Maybe people would want a wallpaper version that filled their whole screen too. So I have a square version with the sides cut off for the actual cover. I want to create a digital booklet.

I wanted a 4K resolution (2160p), but the ground I was using wasn't that large, so I settled for 1080p. (Curiosity was in the way). I'll include the high-def photo in the release of the EP when you download it on Bandcamp. I wish I could set a release date but I don't know when our studio guy will be finished. But at least our part is done! smile.gif

--Brandon

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 23 2014, 09:43 AM
Instructor
I think Todd is right - they could be bigger smile.gif As a matter of fact, I think that keeping a steady focus on the name of the band and the title is the major direction with every album artwork. There are exceptions of course, but those have to be HEAVILY symbolized to have the right impact.

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jan 23 2014, 04:31 PM
Learning Roadie
Well I came up with another version guys. Pretty much a hybrid of my original I shared at the top and the most recent one. I think the drop shadows makes it pop out better. I almost looks bigger too. I also embossed the band name. I wanted the subtitle to almost blend in with the ground to give it the dirty look.

Todd, I am using GIMP - kinda like PhotoShop.

Keep in mind, I have to have a square version as well. The above were wallpapers.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 22 2014, 02:07 AM) *
Cool mate - will it only be available in a digital form or will the artwork be developed into a physical booklet?

I only have plans for digital release with a digital booklet.

This post has been edited by thefireball: Jan 23 2014, 04:26 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 23 2014, 06:37 PM
Instructor
That definitely works smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 24 2014, 08:15 PM
Instructor
Bigger emphasis on the name and title! Good work man smile.gif

I was curious if there would be a booklet, how you would extend the concept of the artwork smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 25 2014, 03:00 AM
Much better! smile.gif The one on the bottom puts the text in much better size relationship IMHO. Cosmin has a great point about the text being very important. The background is often there to emphasize the message of the text (band name/album name) and the bigger any element in the frame, the more importance the brain will attribute to it.

Speaking of the message. I like the title "living in the last days" smile.gif The image makes me thing of living after the last days since it's a desolate landscape as if the end times have been and gone. Have you considered using a cityscape or something with the large sun/planetoid hovering overhead as if it's going to "end" thing? Of course you don't have to re in force the message with the title and vice versa if you don't want smile.gif

QUOTE (thefireball @ Jan 23 2014, 10:31 AM) *
Well I came up with another version guys. Pretty much a hybrid of my original I shared at the top and the most recent one. I think the drop shadows makes it pop out better. I almost looks bigger too. I also embossed the band name. I wanted the subtitle to almost blend in with the ground to give it the dirty look.

Todd, I am using GIMP - kinda like PhotoShop.

Keep in mind, I have to have a square version as well. The above were wallpapers.

I only have plans for digital release with a digital booklet.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 25 2014, 03:03 AM

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jan 25 2014, 07:13 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 24 2014, 01:15 PM) *
Bigger emphasis on the name and title! Good work man smile.gif

I was curious if there would be a booklet, how you would extend the concept of the artwork smile.gif

Basically in the lyrics i have the corresponding photos to tell the story of the picture, much like the ones I shared on facebook. wink.gif Still brainstorming on that one.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 24 2014, 08:00 PM) *
Much better! smile.gif The one on the bottom puts the text in much better size relationship IMHO. Cosmin has a great point about the text being very important. The background is often there to emphasize the message of the text (band name/album name) and the bigger any element in the frame, the more importance the brain will attribute to it.

Speaking of the message. I like the title "living in the last days" smile.gif The image makes me thing of living after the last days since it's a desolate landscape as if the end times have been and gone. Have you considered using a cityscape or something with the large sun/planetoid hovering overhead as if it's going to "end" thing? Of course you don't have to re in force the message with the title and vice versa if you don't want smile.gif

Thanks Todd. The idea is to show the prophesy, maybe a little what it might look like as God is about to destroy the earth with fire. Just a concept really. A warning of what is to come, so get ready for we are "living in the last days." wink.gif ... that kind of concept.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:00 PM