Attention - Im Coming Back
manuh
Jan 4 2014, 01:09 PM
Learning Roadie
hey mates!

my gmc subscription expired in summer 2012. i had save my money to renew my subscription but then i've got an mail from a big recording studio in germany. the producer got the gold record for programming beats for the best album of german alternative rock band 'guano apes'. it sounded so good..

we arrived to the studio and got a first meeting with the team. they told us that they are very impressed by our music and explained us their ideas. at the end of the day we all were very excited and thought that we're getting the response we were always looking for.
.. then we got the contract:

* 3 songs - producing and recording inside their studio
* professional bandphotos
* they try to get a label and booking agency for us

.. looks great. but then he told us that its not for free and we had to pay about 6000€ for this package.

a lot of money for 5 poor musicians like us. but we were blinded. we made the deal and so everything's fucked up.
okay, the 3-song ep sounds good but i've worked hard to pay my part of the deal. we choosed a deferred payment and so i paid every month until december 2013! my band broke up last august and everything went worse. BUT(!), i've paid my installments and im ready to make a new beginning! i lend much money by the bank but im going to pay my debts in february or march. then im able to renew my subscribtion! im happy that this story is going to the end smile.gif

so, im alive. and for everyone who can hide the story behind the recorded ep you can listen to it online and for free: http://press.ttny.de

anybody can make a mistake. haha biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by manuh: Jan 4 2014, 01:10 PM

--------------------
check out my new band: Trip To New York
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jan 4 2014, 01:38 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Welcome back man!

Sounds like a bad trip, sorry to hear that, especially that your band broke up in the process.
But who knows what it was good for.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 4 2014, 09:20 PM
Instructor
Hi and welcome back !

I'm sorry to hear about the experience with your band.. you guys had promise.

That story you told is unfortunately common... people will take advantage of any bands eager to get a big break and basically try to get as much money from them as possible. But.. you survived it and are wiser as a result ! It can only get better from here smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 4 2014, 09:59 PM
GMC:er
Sadly, this "Pay to Play" model is what has happened to a large chunk of what used to be the "Music Industry".

Most of these pay to play outfits are in the business of charging bands money. Now and then one of the bands gets some air play or touring, but that's usually despite these types of folks, not because of them.

I'm sorry you had to go through this. You'll know for next time to RUN THE OTHER WAY! smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (manuh @ Jan 4 2014, 07:09 AM) *
hey mates!

my gmc subscription expired in summer 2012. i had save my money to renew my subscription but then i've got an mail from a big recording studio in germany. the producer got the gold record for programming beats for the best album of german alternative rock band 'guano apes'. it sounded so good..

we arrived to the studio and got a first meeting with the team. they told us that they are very impressed by our music and explained us their ideas. at the end of the day we all were very excited and thought that we're getting the response we were always looking for.
.. then we got the contract:

* 3 songs - producing and recording inside their studio
* professional bandphotos
* they try to get a label and booking agency for us

.. looks great. but then he told us that its not for free and we had to pay about 6000€ for this package.

a lot of money for 5 poor musicians like us. but we were blinded. we made the deal and so everything's fucked up.
okay, the 3-song ep sounds good but i've worked hard to pay my part of the deal. we choosed a deferred payment and so i paid every month until december 2013! my band broke up last august and everything went worse. BUT(!), i've paid my installments and im ready to make a new beginning! i lend much money by the bank but im going to pay my debts in february or march. then im able to renew my subscribtion! im happy that this story is going to the end smile.gif

so, im alive. and for everyone who can hide the story behind the recorded ep you can listen to it online and for free: http://press.ttny.de

anybody can make a mistake. haha biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 4 2014, 10:01 PM

+Quote Post
manuh
Jan 5 2014, 11:28 AM
Learning Roadie
thank you! smile.gif ive started a new project with our singer from my last band and were writing much great stuff at the time. were going to record (D.I.Y! biggrin.gif) a debut album in summer. but now i have to work on my guitar skills! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 5 2014, 12:48 PM
Instructor
Wellcome back mate!

I don't know if this will make You feel any better but I've beed going through situations like this many times. I'm not even able to get angry anymore. The worst thing I hate when You invest some money (usually a lot) have a sessions, video clips recordings, some starting promotion, a few huge gigs and....then nothing. I had a few contracts as well and none of them ended better than the others. Same old story. Sometimes bands break because of the situation even if You always felt like a pack of best friends...Unfortunately.

Glad You stand on Your feet again and You're ready to go further. If You need any feedback just message me, Cosmin, Todd or Gabriel. We're are here constantly. All best!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 5 2014, 01:09 PM
Instructor
Hey maan! Glad to see you back and I am sorry you had to go through this.. I am curious about one thing:

- did the contract you sign say anything about the band not being allowed to break up?
- did they get the label and booking agency for you? What happened if they didn't?

There would be more questions coming to mind, but these are the first I thought of after reading your story!

Usually, after reading the contract you know what you have to deal with, but you need experience to figure things out. It was most likely a hard lesson, but nonetheless, it made you stronger for sure! What are you currently working on in terms of guitar playing?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 6 2014, 05:18 AM
Instructor
Hi mate! I'm sorry about hearing that your band broke up after all this process. By the way, I think that the experience must have been very interesting and that you have grown as a person and musician thanks to it. So take the positive side. The EP that you recorded sounds killer, very professional. I understand how you felt with the fact that "the guys selected us but now we have to pay". The same thing happens here all the time, and also happened with my band Cirse when we were starting.

By the way, tt's cool to see you here again. Welcome back. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jan 6 2014, 08:17 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Yep a very common story. My band never took off because of this. Had to pay for everything which I never wanted to do.

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 6 2014, 09:51 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 6 2014, 04:18 AM) *
also happened with my band Cirse when we were starting.

I assume you guys took the long road and did it all step by step, investing anyway, but being in control - correct? smile.gif

+Quote Post
manuh
Jan 6 2014, 11:55 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jan 5 2014, 12:48 PM) *
Wellcome back mate!

I don't know if this will make You feel any better but I've beed going through situations like this many times. I'm not even able to get angry anymore. The worst thing I hate when You invest some money (usually a lot) have a sessions, video clips recordings, some starting promotion, a few huge gigs and....then nothing. I had a few contracts as well and none of them ended better than the others. Same old story. Sometimes bands break because of the situation even if You always felt like a pack of best friends...Unfortunately.

Glad You stand on Your feet again and You're ready to go further. If You need any feedback just message me, Cosmin, Todd or Gabriel. We're are here constantly. All best!

thanks man.. nice to see a new instructor on gmc! checked out your metalcore chops! really great stuff, cannot wait to work on it smile.gif
back to topic: it helps a lot to see that im not the only one who got in trouble with these art of contracts tongue.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 5 2014, 01:09 PM) *
Hey maan! Glad to see you back and I am sorry you had to go through this.. I am curious about one thing:

- did the contract you sign say anything about the band not being allowed to break up?
- did they get the label and booking agency for you? What happened if they didn't?

There would be more questions coming to mind, but these are the first I thought of after reading your story!

Usually, after reading the contract you know what you have to deal with, but you need experience to figure things out. It was most likely a hard lesson, but nonetheless, it made you stronger for sure! What are you currently working on in terms of guitar playing?

hey cosmin! the producer said to us that there were many bands before which breaked up after such contracts. and the we must believe in ourselfes and that we must working hard to reach our goals. but the contract didnt say anything about a break up.

they didn get a label and/or booking agency for us... at the first meeting they told us that they cannot promise that we become the next big thing and get a first label and booking too. cause there is no one in the world who can say: "hey im mr.x and i make you big!"
but we didnt know if they tried to get this agencys..

at the moment im working on new stuff for my next project. im dreaming of a album which i recorded by my self. and now im working that this dream comes true. in summer i will be finished with songwriting and start the recording. smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 6 2014, 05:18 AM) *
Hi mate! I'm sorry about hearing that your band broke up after all this process. By the way, I think that the experience must have been very interesting and that you have grown as a person and musician thanks to it. So take the positive side. The EP that you recorded sounds killer, very professional. I understand how you felt with the fact that "the guys selected us but now we have to pay". The same thing happens here all the time, and also happened with my band Cirse when we were starting.

By the way, tt's cool to see you here again. Welcome back. smile.gif

hey gab! i definitively growed up in my person.. in the last year i make thousands of experiences. so i think that i can make it better in future and work on that what i love smile.gif

thank you all!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 6 2014, 03:10 PM
Instructor
You're not the only one for sure wink.gif Would be great to see Your take over metalcore lesson wink.gif

+Quote Post
manuh
Jan 6 2014, 03:15 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jan 6 2014, 03:10 PM) *
You're not the only one for sure wink.gif Would be great to see Your take over metalcore lesson wink.gif

be sure, I will give a try! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 6 2014, 09:57 PM
Instructor
Keep waiting then biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 6 2014, 10:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (manuh @ Jan 6 2014, 07:55 AM) *
hey gab! i definitively growed up in my person.. in the last year i make thousands of experiences. so i think that i can make it better in future and work on that what i love smile.gif

thank you all!

nothing else matters. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 7 2014, 08:30 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (manuh @ Jan 6 2014, 10:55 AM) *
hey cosmin! the producer said to us that there were many bands before which breaked up after such contracts. and the we must believe in ourselfes and that we must working hard to reach our goals. but the contract didnt say anything about a break up.

they didn get a label and/or booking agency for us... at the first meeting they told us that they cannot promise that we become the next big thing and get a first label and booking too. cause there is no one in the world who can say: "hey im mr.x and i make you big!"
but we didnt know if they tried to get this agencys..

at the moment im working on new stuff for my next project. im dreaming of a album which i recorded by my self. and now im working that this dream comes true. in summer i will be finished with songwriting and start the recording. smile.gif

Great to hear that you are energized and back in action smile.gif Keep going and why not, maybe share some ideas with us - we can come in with a fresh brain to help out if you need any of that.

About the other thing... as I said it's a hard earned lesson and we all should be aware of what we sign smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:00 AM