Have You Got A Song That Surprises People?
Phil66
Jan 18 2017, 09:45 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
OK, Black Sabbath, Black Stone Cherry, Pantera, Motorhead, Satch, Vai, Thunder, Dio etc, all my usual kinda stuff.

What I'd like to know is, do you have a song that you really really like that would surprise or does surprise people when you play it and they can see you're really into it?

This is one of mine. I love it and I love the lyrics, the chorus is just brilliant. There is an article about the song HERE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YuaZcylk_o

Just before our love got lost you said
I am as constant as a northern star and I said,
Constantly in the darkness
Where's that at?
If you want me I'll be in the bar

On the back of a cartoon coaster
In the blue TV screen light
I drew a map of Canada
Oh Canada
With your face sketched on it twice

Oh you are in my blood like holy wine
You taste so bitter
And so sweet oh
I could drink a case of you darling and I would
Still be on my feet
Oh I would still be on my feet

Oh I am a lonely painter
I live in a box of paints
I'm frightened by the devil
And I'm drawn to those ones that ain't afraid
I remember that time that you told me, you said
"Love is touching souls"
Surely you touched mine 'cause
Part of you pours out of me
In these lines from time to time

Oh you are in my blood like holy wine
You taste so bitter
And so sweet oh
I could drink a case of you darling
Still I'd be on my feet
I would still be on my feet

I met a woman
She had a mouth like yours, she knew your life
She knew your devils and your deeds and she said
"Go to him
stay with him if you can
But be prepared to bleed"

Oh but you are in my blood you're my holy wine
You're so bitter
bitter and so sweet oh
I could drink a case of you darling
Still I'd be on my feet
I would still be on my feet
hmm

Songwriters: Joni Mitchell
A Case of You lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 18 2017, 09:47 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bleez
Jan 19 2017, 09:18 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
joni mitchell has such a cool voice smile.gif

I have a bit of a thing for Julie Fowlis cool.gif it often raises an eyebrow when she appears in my playlists.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7jW5qDexnc

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 20 2017, 12:33 AM
GMC:er
I did a cover of a vintage 80s pop song from BERLIN called "The Metro" which is a bit of a depature from my usual metal head stuff. Love how it turned out though smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/the-metro-cover-version-anti-m-feat-todd-on-guitar

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 20 2017, 06:09 AM
Coming from me, these two usually throw folks for a loop ...

It's all about the groove for me. These bands 'groove'.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 20 2017, 09:13 PM
These are all very interesting insights. Thanks. Keep em coming. Loving that Freeky thing Ken smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 24 2017, 07:38 PM
Instructor
I dig material from ABBA, Kate Bush, Madonna, I love most of what Ghost are doing..

A Swedish band with some truly great music is The Ark

Surprising enough for you? wink.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 24 2017, 08:34 PM
I have to admit I like ABBA too, I have their greatest hits on my player. It never ever sounds dated and the more I learn about music the more I appreciate the skill of Benny and Bjorn.

Always raises an eyebrow when people spot it. I've kinda hidden all of my "dubious" stuff at the end of my artist list by calling the artists things like ZZZAbba, ZZZAnastazia, ZZZShania Twain cool.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 28 2017, 05:33 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
bleez
Jan 24 2017, 11:34 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 24 2017, 07:34 PM) *
I've kinda hidden all of my "dubious" stuff at the end of my artist list by calling the artists things like ZZZAbba, ZZZAnastazia, ZZZShania Twain cool.gif laugh.gif

LOL! quite an ingenious system!
Ive just got a mental image of Phil cruising down the motorway singing along to zzzShania Twain's 'Man, I feel like a woman' biggrin.gif

*which is all fine of course cool.gif I was listening to Tori Amos 'Cornflake Girl' in the car earlier, awesome song and it wasnt on the radio either... it was from my personal stash smile.gif

This post has been edited by bleez: Jan 24 2017, 11:35 PM

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jan 25 2017, 06:09 AM
Well you see I like to do walks around my town while listening to death metal/black metal kinda of stuff. I kinda find if relaxing.
So everyone just assumes I listen to metal only.... which I don't. I barely consider myself a metal head unsure.gif .

As of late, been really digging stuff like.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Jan 25 2017, 07:06 AM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jan 25 2017, 08:08 AM
Years ago here I uploaded the Star Spangled Banner with my cats, using only the word meow. I can hit the top notes in tune, which surprises people, most people who sing that sound like a sick crow.

I only have 3 cats left and they are 18 years old, so the cat version I did with 8 younger cats is now retired forever.

I just sang it with my 6 dogs to the word "woof", and it was ok, but woof does not really work as good as meow for the song. We sing the happy birthday song and family likes that. Yes the dogs don't really sing, they just bark. But I can start and stop them barking with my hands most of the time.

Hey I just thought of it. I can sing with the words meow and the dogs may bark along with me, let me ask them.....yeah, that works, I think they like it even better.

Trust me on this, I don't care how well you play, how you can shred, you will make a bigger hit with people with a dog sing along.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 25 2017, 12:03 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jan 20 2017, 06:09 AM) *

It's all about the groove for me. These bands 'groove'.

That's CRAZY - love it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jan 25 2017, 12:52 PM
Learning Roadie
I think most people know I like a lot of different music, but it surprises them when I like something extremely mainstream.

At the moment I feel like starting an Emo band but I'm 43 and it's not the early 2000s anymore.

It was Boys like Girls - Great Escape that made me want to

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 16 2017, 06:13 PM
I'm a huge ABBA fan myself smile.gif In fact, ABBA is at the core of Melodic Swedish Death Metal IMHO. Swedes like some ABBA in their Death Metal smile.gif They have ancient Swedish ballads that have a very sad vibe to them which has informed Swedish Music for hundreds of years. ABBA was the "Happy" version of that tradition, but even they embraced "Swedish Melancholy" smile.gif See the following article.

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015...tial-melancholy

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 24 2017, 03:34 PM) *
I have to admit I like ABBA too, I have their greatest hits on my player. It never ever sounds dated and the more I learn about music the more I appreciate the skill of Benny and Bjorn.

Always raises an eyebrow when people spot it. I've kinda hidden all of my "dubious" stuff at the end of my artist list by calling the artists things like ZZZAbba, ZZZAnastazia, ZZZShania Twain cool.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 18 2017, 11:49 PM
Another favourite of mine. This year when we go to the south of France I am going to visit Juan-les-Pins. Listen for it in the lyrics, "And on your summer vacation, do you go to Juan-les-Pins?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8XQZYIiNgo

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:53 PM