Playing Lead, Frustration
Mike RR24
Sep 24 2011, 06:23 AM
Learning Roadie
Ben,

I've been working on the picking exercises you made and they are helping big time and I am getting better. Thanks.

Here's the deal guy's and anyone feel free to jump in here. I'm trying to master Megadeth "Symphony of Destruction"
I have it all down to the T with the exception of the Solo. I know the solo perfectly but am unable to play it at speed. sad.gif
I don't seem to like doing exercises so much so I've just been practicing the lead over and over but am not making any progress. I sometimes feel like I'm doing worse than I was before. I'm not trying to play it too fast but in the beginning part where it take off with the I believe it's 8,10,12 and repeat. I'm supposed to do a hammer on and then continue on fast into the lick. I'm comfortable with hammer-ons etc but I just cannot seem to improve on my speed. Any direction would be appreciated even if it is a lesson you are going to recommend I am willing to do it cause I really want to master this lead. Thanks in advance.

PS - I've been playing for 2.5 years and this is the first lead I am doing.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mike RR24: Sep 24 2011, 06:26 AM

--------------------
Michael Connell - Ciudad Juarez Chihuahua, Mexico

Gear: Jackson Pro RR24.
Ibanez XPT700.
Mexican Fender Strat 2008 Model.
Marshall MA 100 Watt Head w/Crate Blackheart slanted cab 300 Watts.
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Digitech Metal Master Heavy Metal Distortion Pedal.
THD Hotplate 16 Ohms.
BOSS BR-1600CD Home Studio
DigiTech GSP1101 Guitar Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech Control2 Remote Foot Controller
TC-Helicon VoiceWorks Plus Vocal Processor
Switch-3 Pedal for VoiceWorks Plus Vocal Processor
ISP Technologies Decimator Noise Reduction Pedal
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Sep 24 2011, 06:26 AM
GMC:er
check this article
http://tomhess.net/Articles/HowToPracticeF...SpeedPart1.aspx

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Mike RR24
Sep 24 2011, 06:29 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Sep 23 2011, 11:26 PM) *

Thanks.

--------------------

Ibanez XPT700.
THD Hotplate 16 Ohms.

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Sep 24 2011, 06:32 AM
And remember patience and a strong willpower! is such as important as practice, young jedi wink.gif

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Sep 24 2011, 07:58 AM
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Sep 24 2011, 06:32 AM) *
And remember patience and a strong willpower! is such as important as practice, young jedi wink.gif

Don't know if this gonna help you at all for this solo but might help u later on.

i remember once Marty Friedman saying, that if you wanna really dig a solo from a player, but can't due to technical issues, etcetc. Check that player early stuff because it's almost certain that is playing won't be as difficult, as the solo you wanna learn from him playing "nowadays" and will serve as "root" for that player later work.

sorry if i made myself, hard to understand tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 24 2011, 09:25 AM
Instructor
Hi Mike, I think I know the bit you mean. What I would do is isolate those very notes that are used and create a drill that you can repeat out of it. For example, say the lick was using hammers that did this:

E--12-h-15-p-12------------
B--------------------15-------

I would set a metronome to a moderate speed like 70 or 80 bpm and practice this motion in a triplet format. Although there's 4 notes there you can still play it in a triplet tempo... triplets are divided up into 1,2,3-1,2,3 or 1,2,3,4,5,6... what I would do is just play it as 1,2,3,4..pause for a click or two and then repeat. And because you're doing it in short bursts you can get away with playing it for longer without getting tired.

Bump up the speed so that it is the same as the Symphony speed and practice the notes that you will be hammering. Also, go beyond your needed speed so that the Symphony speed will be within your capabilites.

Just substitue the notes I've written for the actual ones you're needing for the solo and try that. Pretty sure it's a case of 2 notes on the E string and one on the B (or maybe 2 on the B, but the fast part occurs on the E string and the note on the B has a longer note duration) smile.gif

In short, if there's a motion that gives you trouble, then instead of spending a lot of energy working your way through a solo to fall at the hurdle every time, conserve your energy and focus only on the trouble spot. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Sep 24 2011, 09:26 AM

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Sep 24 2011, 07:19 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 24 2011, 09:25 AM) *
Hi Mike, I think I know the bit you mean. What I would do is isolate those very notes that are used and create a drill that you can repeat out of it. For example, say the lick was using hammers that did this:

I would set a metronome to a moderate speed like 70 or 80 bpm and practice this motion in a triplet format. Although there's 4 notes there you can still play it in a triplet tempo... triplets are divided up into 1,2,3-1,2,3 or 1,2,3,4,5,6... what I would do is just play it as 1,2,3,4..pause for a click or two and then repeat. And because you're doing it in short bursts you can get away with playing it for longer without getting tired.

Bump up the speed so that it is the same as the Symphony speed and practice the notes that you will be hammering. Also, go beyond your needed speed so that the Symphony speed will be within your capabilites.

Just substitue the notes I've written for the actual ones you're needing for the solo and try that. Pretty sure it's a case of 2 notes on the E string and one on the B (or maybe 2 on the B, but the fast part occurs on the E string and the note on the B has a longer note duration) smile.gif

In short, if there's a motion that gives you trouble, then instead of spending a lot of energy working your way through a solo to fall at the hurdle every time, conserve your energy and focus only on the trouble spot. smile.gif

this is the majority of the licks that are fast in this solo,but Mr Freidman is an unorthodox player in that , he mixes them up as well as plays it foward and in reverse with variations in the same phrase
although exercises will help ,his solo's will take time to develope( there is a good reason he was megadeath's lead)
here is my suggestion to you ,try to start a metronome with the song, then attempt the lead untill you get used to playing with the nome,then , try to get to the point were you no longer need the backround music and just need the click, now that you are used to playing to the beat only (click ) .slow down the cilck intill you can play it perfectly( and I mean record a wave file for the instructors to critique perfect) then you can start increasing your speed

this will also come in handy as you are training yourself to play lead by the drums alone,and from my experiance this came in to play as sometimes all you will have at rehearsal is your drummer

hope this helps
p.s there is an easy answer- practice- it is the follow through that is be-otch

+Quote Post
Mike RR24
Sep 24 2011, 08:59 PM
Learning Roadie

Perfect Ben. Thanks... Hey do you know the actual BPM of that song?

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 24 2011, 02:25 AM) *

--------------------

Ibanez XPT700.
THD Hotplate 16 Ohms.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 25 2011, 09:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mike RR24 @ Sep 24 2011, 08:59 PM) *
Perfect Ben. Thanks... Hey do you know the actual BPM of that song?

Sorry Mike, I don't.

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Sep 25 2011, 09:46 AM
Sorry jumping once again in your topic Ben.

if i remember SOD is around 140 bpm

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mike RR24
Sep 25 2011, 10:45 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Sep 25 2011, 02:46 AM) *
Sorry jumping once again in your topic Ben.

if i remember SOD is around 140 bpm

140bpm thanks.

--------------------

Ibanez XPT700.
THD Hotplate 16 Ohms.

+Quote Post
Mike RR24
Oct 3 2011, 12:38 AM
Learning Roadie
Ben I've been practicing those picking exercises and I wanted to put them in use so I started learning Holy Wars from Megadeth. The picking on the low E string is really helping me. Sometimes I don't think it's me playing it cause It sounds so good.
I remember when I was learning to do pinch harmonics. I played a lot of Dime Bag's stuff. Cemetery Gates the most.
When I would hit a perfect pinch harmonic I would be so excited I would not remember where to go on the fretboard next.
I almost had to look at myself in the mirror to make sure it was me playing it.. lol smile.gif-
It was frustrating at first. Kinda reminds me of this picking learning. Oh well just wanted to let you know.
Thanks for the words of encouragement and help to all of you who responded. I appreciate it. I'm happy to be part of this great family.

--------------------

Ibanez XPT700.
THD Hotplate 16 Ohms.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Oct 3 2011, 01:01 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Mike RR24 @ Oct 3 2011, 12:38 AM) *
Ben I've been practicing those picking exercises and I wanted to put them in use so I started learning Holy Wars from Megadeth. The picking on the low E string is really helping me. Sometimes I don't think it's me playing it cause It sounds so good.
I remember when I was learning to do pinch harmonics. I played a lot of Dime Bag's stuff. Cemetery Gates the most.
When I would hit a perfect pinch harmonic I would be so excited I would not remember where to go on the fretboard next.
I almost had to look at myself in the mirror to make sure it was me playing it.. lol smile.gif-
It was frustrating at first. Kinda reminds me of this picking learning. Oh well just wanted to let you know.
Thanks for the words of encouragement and help to all of you who responded. I appreciate it. I'm happy to be part of this great family.

hey mike rr24, I slowed this solo down for you ,I know it isn't perfect ,but I was hopin it gets you goin in the right direction
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...c=40919&hl=

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 3 2011, 09:44 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mike RR24 @ Oct 3 2011, 12:38 AM) *

Hey Mike that's brilliant ! I personally made a lot of picking progress by sticking to riffs and drills on the low E string. The thicker string and the fact that we play most of our rhythms down there combines to encourge a very natural but correct picking motion. smile.gif

Ah yes, pinch harmonics ! How I struggled with those too.. but it feels great when you can reel them off though doesn't it ?? cool.gif

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Oct 4 2011, 10:36 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 3 2011, 01:44 AM) *
Hey Mike that's brilliant ! I personally made a lot of picking progress by sticking to riffs and drills on the low E string. The thicker string and the fact that we play most of our rhythms down there combines to encourge a very natural but correct picking motion. smile.gif

Ah yes, pinch harmonics ! How I struggled with those too.. but it feels great when you can reel them off though doesn't it ?? cool.gif

can you make your strings squeeeeeeeeel like a pig?! hmmmmm? biggrin.gif

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 4 2011, 11:08 PM
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Oct 4 2011, 05:36 PM) *

Good pull. (vintage movie quote from a very disturbing film)

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 5 2011, 08:43 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Oct 4 2011, 10:36 PM) *

Only if I go hiking in the woods ! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:18 PM