Recording Equipment
XirTiK
Nov 9 2009, 12:32 PM
GMC:er
I was thinking of recording my own songs, and I wondered, what program/harware does GMC use for recording?
All of your recordings have very good sound quality, and the programmed backingtracks are also very good.
What program are you using for the backing, and recording? Is it the same one? Are there any other good alternatives

Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Nov 9 2009, 01:14 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I use Pro Tools to record my stuff here, as an amp I am using an Axe-FX Ultra, before that I used Guitar Rig 3. For drums and bass I have been using Sample tank so far, drums will come from ez drummer from now on though.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 9 2009, 02:35 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
For recording needs I use the Cubase SX3 software with various VST plugs. For backings I use Ezdrummer VST for drums, Virtual Guitarist for guitars , Hypersonic for various instruments. Everything is programmed in midi in the recording software and put through appropriate VSTs.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Nov 10 2009, 06:49 AM
GMC:er
I use Nuendo 3 for recordings, Superior VST for drums, HardcoreBass for bass and Reason for keys and other stuff. For guitar, I'd recommend to get a Pod (Line 6 Pod or V-amp). It's better than any VST plugin of guitar effects and amp simulator

+Quote Post
Skalde
Nov 13 2009, 07:22 PM
Learning Roadie
I'd recommend to get any VST plugin of guitar effects and amp simulator It's better than Pod (Line 6 Pod or V-amp) products.

+Quote Post
JamesT
Nov 13 2009, 09:43 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Both the vst-plugins and dedicated hardware have their advantages.
Zero latency is pretty important to me when playing and recording so generally, I like to use the Pod for monitoring while recording a take. But then for flexibility in tone, a vst amp simulator is hard to beat. For that, you need to record your signal completely dry or raw direclty from the guitar into the DAW. When recording, to get the best of both worlds, sometimes, I'll set my Pod X3's main outputs to one of my favorite awesome sounding custom presets that are built into the pod and send the raw pre-amplified guitar signal to the DAW through the Pods secondary outputs. With this setup, I can record both the Pod amp simulated signal and the raw guitar signal simultaneously. Sometimes the POD sound is just perfect and I won't have to re-touch it at all. But if I'm not 100% satisfied with the POD generated tone, I can hook in a VST to the raw guitar track and use it instead. The VST gives so much flexibility after the fact, that I'm beginning to appreciate its benefits. I don't have a huge array of VST amp plugins right now, (only Pod Farm, and UAD Nigel), but it's cool to be able to sort out your tone after recording. I just orderd Sonar 8.5 and it comes with GTR3 which I've heard a lot of things about. So as I gain experience with it, I'll let you all know how it works out.

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
Staffy
Nov 13 2009, 09:48 PM
Learning Tone Master
Don't forget that it's actually the soundcard more than the software that have the biggest impact on the recording.
Most DAW software is good, it's just a question of which workflow the user is used to. The same goes for amp simulators, without a good soundcard - it will sound like crap....

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 14 2009, 03:42 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Staffy @ Nov 13 2009, 09:48 PM) *
Don't forget that it's actually the soundcard more than the software that have the biggest impact on the recording.
Most DAW software is good, it's just a question of which workflow the user is used to. ...

//Staffay

+1

To expand a bit on Staffy's comment:

Most 'prosumer' quality sequencers (or DAWs) sound wise are similar and it is really the workflow that separates them (plus whether or not they are usuable on a pc, or a mac or both). As a generalisation and simplification some focus primarily on the use of loops and sound files (ie Live!), some on tracking and mixing (Reaper), some on mixing and midi (ie Cubase/PT/Logic), some on audio, surround sound and video (Nuendo), and some on mixing and mastering (Samplitude, Sequoia, SAW). Any of these can and will do all these functions but their primary focus affects the workflow.

With regard to workflow: Being able to use any well requires a fair amount of time and effort to get to know it and swapping to another sequencer can mean unlearning stuff and learning a whole new way of doing things. What is best for you depends on what you actually need and what you are used to and are happy and able to learn. If you have never used a sequencer then you can usually get a trial version of most - so I'd suggest that you try a few out and see which you prefer.

Do some sequencers have a better 'sound' then others. That's a controversial point. Many people say no as the maths ITB is all the same- digital audio is just a stream of 1s and 0s. However, some say that both Samplitude/Sequoia and SAW sound better then the others. Usually people talk of Samp/Seq and SAW as having a more open and natural top end and tighter and more focused bass. The maths may be the same but how well the sequencer does word length truncation, up and down sampling, whether it has 32 bit fixed or float, whether or not it does 96/192/384, whether or not it does low or high frequency dithering, what the algo is for dithering, etc, etc all make a difference. If you look at the spectral graphs for the dithering etc of various sequencers then there are clear differences between them. Can we actually hear that difference? That depends on you, your room acoustics, your monitors and how good your DAC is.

That leads to Staffy's second point. The quality of your soundcard is important. Whether you focus more on the ADC and preamp quality or on DAC really depends on whether your main concern is with tracking/mixing or with mastering. If it is poor at converting audio to digital (ADC) and/or vice versa (DAC) and/or has poor mic preamps and or induces unacceptable digital noise and/or jitter then nothing the sequencer can do will make much difference to audio quality.

Finally if your use of the sequencer is poor then it doesn't really matter which one you use: garbage in=garbage out. A good sound engineer/ME will get a better recording out of poor gear than a bad one with the best equipment. That requires time spent learning a sequencer and how to use it well.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 14 2009, 04:05 PM
Instructor
It really depends on your budget, so if you tell use how much you have to invest, we can give you some recommendations..

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Nov 14 2009, 04:33 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
If you want to keep things within a tight budget, for instance just to see whether you like the whole recording idea, you can buy a Pod Studio GX, with Pod Farm software, for about 80$. When you'v set everything like you want, all you have to do is plug in, start your DAW and press record wink.gif the cheapest option is to connect your headphone out of the amp to the line in of the pc.

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 14 2009, 05:19 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Nov 14 2009, 04:33 PM) *
... the cheapest option is to connect your headphone out of the amp to the line in of the pc.

The signal from headphones out is usually at the wrong level for line in and is usually on a TRS connector. If you're unlucky you could end up doing damage to the card. If you're lucky and don't damage the card you will probably end up with a hot signal and with little headroom. At the very least you should put some form of level control between the headphones out and the line in.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:51 AM