Does Pick Position Matter That Much?
fatstrat
Apr 14 2007, 05:38 AM
GMC:er
I had a couple questions about pick position when holding it....I hold my pick a little differently than most (the thumb and the middle finger) and so far hasnt caused me any problems. I am able to pinch harmonic the same by using the thumb, strum the same and speed pick chords just the same. So I guess I'm just wondering if pick position really impacts your playing that much and if I need to remedy my pick position??

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear:

Guitars: Guild D-55, Taylor 110-E, 1992 Epiphone Sheraton II (JB neck and '59 bridge), PRS SE singlecut (SD Alnico II neck and Gibby Bustbucker Pro bridge)

Amps: Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25

Effects: Boss DD-7, BD-2, and Dunlop CryBaby
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jete124
Apr 14 2007, 07:10 AM
QUOTE (fatstrat @ Apr 14 2007, 12:38 AM) *
I had a couple questions about pick position when holding it....I hold my pick a little differently than most (the thumb and the middle finger) and so far hasnt caused me any problems. I am able to pinch harmonic the same by using the thumb, strum the same and speed pick chords just the same. So I guess I'm just wondering if pick position really impacts your playing that much and if I need to remedy my pick position??

Eddie Van Halen holds it that way, and it seems to work out pretty well for him. Pick positions are kind of like batting stances in baseball. There is a preferred way to do it, but really whatever works and it comfortable for you is the best way to go.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
fkalich
Apr 14 2007, 07:51 AM
QUOTE (jete124 @ Apr 14 2007, 07:10 AM) *
Eddie Van Halen holds it that way, and it seems to work out pretty well for him. Pick positions are kind of like batting stances in baseball. There is a preferred way to do it, but really whatever works and it comfortable for you is the best way to go.

I can see advantages to holding it that way, and disadvantages. But all in all, a perfectly sensible way to hold it. You can pick a note and quickly tap with your index finger lower down the neck, that is nice.

I think I will use that. Not all the time, but it clearly has its advantages. No reason you can't hold it one way sometimes, another way other times.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Apr 16 2007, 06:18 AM
Yea know i havent even really thought of playing that way tongue.gif i dont know why but i havent, im gonna try it..and it see if it helps me any tongue.gif

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:21 PM