Last Day Of "live" Music Lessons!
mattacuk
Feb 16 2008, 01:43 PM
Lets go fishing!
Ok so a few weeks ago I announced to my music teacher that i would no longer be requireing lessons. Why? Because his knowledge of guitar playing had dried up within a few months. blink.gif To be fair, he is a really nice chap, the main reason I stayed with him this long. I like to give anything a good chance as sometimes you have to work hard at things to produce the best results.

Ultimatly though I think he falls into the typical bracket of the kind of guitar teachers that just hold you back sad.gif 99% of my technique, knowledge and theory has all come from GMC, and he had told me that he had never seen most of the techniques that I use - which is a little worrying.

And so, it is clear to me more than ever just how usefull Guitarmasterclass.net is in molding young guitar students. I can tell anyone who has started there musical journey here with GMC you are very lucky indeed !! I hope one day to be able to teach young guitarists in my area the RIGHT way to go about practicing and studying guitar. Being able to choose your instructor/s because of there abilities rather than geographical location is very important. And thanks to the modern age this is possible through the wonders of the Internet biggrin.gif

That is my little rant for the day over with wink.gif thanks for listening!

regards,

Matt smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Feb 16 2008, 01:44 PM

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Feb 16 2008, 01:55 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Awesome news! I guess you'll be spending that extra cash on gear now then wink.gif

SO just out of curiousity what techniques didnt he know? That does sound a little worrying indeed blink.gif

Congrats again!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 16 2008, 01:56 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Well said Matt - especially the part about geography. These days that is no longer a barrier, but I never thought of it quite like you said.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Iluha
Feb 16 2008, 02:04 PM
GMC:er
Yeah GMC is a true revolution in music teaching... while It's not the first online teaching site, it's the first to do it RIGHT and for a very cheap cost too!

I'm also about to drop my "live" teacher, he is an amazing guitarist, but he just isn't a good teacher.. most of our lessons I find myself jamming with him, while it's nice and all, we don't really do much else, and if I don't learn in an hour and a half with him what I learn in 15 minutes here, it's just not worth it.

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 16 2008, 02:05 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Feb 16 2008, 12:55 PM) *
Awesome news! I guess you'll be spending that extra cash on gear now then wink.gif

SO just out of curiousity what techniques didnt he know? That does sound a little worrying indeed blink.gif

Congrats again!

Oh, just about all of them. I ended up trying to show HIM technique but he wasnt too interested. I mainly carried on going for a long time because I liked haveing someone to share my interest (guitar) with in person. For many months I have felt like quitting BUT didnt because he was a nice guy and I enjoyed the musical company.

From what I can gather there are many GMCers that pay for live lessons and basically just go because they like to jam!!!

I will be hopefully haveing online lessons via the web in addition to my GMC training wink.gif

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Feb 16 2008, 02:06 PM

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
chast
Feb 16 2008, 02:06 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey matt, I can understad your decision smile.gif
I will stay at my teacher as long as I can, he doesn't have an uber-technique like Batio or someone else, but his playing is clean and he has good musical knowledge and that most important thing: he really grooves + he is one of the funniest and nicest persons I've met so far.
And he also teaches me what music is about (groove, energy, feeling etc.)

This post has been edited by chast: Feb 16 2008, 02:08 PM

--------------------
"They play it extremely fast, it doesn't make any sense, but it's Slayer so it makes a lot of sense" :)

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 16 2008, 02:07 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (chast @ Feb 16 2008, 01:06 PM) *
Hey matt, I can understad your decision smile.gif
I will stay at my teacher as long as I can, he doesn't have an uber-technique like Batio or someone else, but his playing is clean and he has good musical knowledge and that most important thing: he really grooves + he is one of the funniest and nicest persons I've met so far.
And he also teaches me what music is about (groove, energy, feeling etc.)

He sounds much better than mine wink.gif There ARE some good teachers around for sure, its just the web further expands these teachers to a wider audience smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Owen
Feb 16 2008, 02:25 PM
GMC:er
I've never had a music/guitar teacher at all, through to the point where I found GMC, I was entirely self taught (and I'll admit it; pretty damn rubbish tongue.gif).

Some of my friends on the other hand though, had teachers, my best friend who started playing guitar at exactly the same time as me got a teacher and for the first year or so of playing completely out did me in his ability to play guitar, however, his teachers knowledge soon dried up to the point were he was no longer learning anything anymore so he stopped getting lessons - he ended up paying about a £1000 in teachers fees though and Gibson Les Pauls are wobbling about in front of my eyes at just the idea of that figure.

So by June of last year we had really slowed down at progressing as guitarists, thats when I found this place. Now, about 8 months later, I'm seeing the benefits of it, I used to be worse than pretty much all the other guys I knew, now I can say at most skills, I am propably a good deal better. Compared to my friend who spent a bomb on guitar lessons, I spent about £50 on 12 months at this place and I've benefitted greatly from it, I can sweep (no-one else I know can), I've completely changed the way I hold the pick so my playing is now more efficient, I have a basic knowledge of theory (thanks Andrew wink.gif ), my knowledge of all things guitar has drastically improved and I've met a great bunch of guys in the process!

I was Kris' classic case of "no talent", hell before I played guitar I was just an idiot who couldnt even keep a beat! I had no sense of natural rhythm at all and didnt appreciate music at all, but I made a decision to learn it and with my own initiative and GMC's help more recently, I've come a hell of a long way!

Anyways, minor rantings aside, GMC is a great place! Imagine paying 1/20th of what you'd pay a guitar teacher and in turn learning more!

Brilliant smile.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Feb 16 2008, 03:34 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
This is just another reasurrance that GMC will take over the world, slowly but surely cool.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 16 2008, 03:54 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Feb 16 2008, 03:34 PM) *
This is just another reasurrance that GMC will take over the world, slowly but surely cool.gif

ehheeh very true ! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:32 PM